Dissapointing upsell offer?

bigwally

I got an up-sell offer email today - obstructed H to OV C-FF for $99pp. Was absolutely not interested because we chose a very specific cat H (7083, Navigation deck aft on Volendam), but I would have maybe gone for an up-sell to a Verandah (for more money than requested for the OV up-sell, obviously).

So I called in and said, "I'm not really interested in this, but do you have any other up-sells going I might be more interested in?" "Josh" replied, "If it's not in the offer letter, then no".

So do I already have to be in a cat C-FF OV to get an up-sell offer to a Verandah? If so, that seems like a pretty narrow minded way of doing things. Color me very disappointed. Do you think I should call in again and not mention the offer letter?

Upsell offers are just that - "offers". They are not always good or appealing and may be very appealing to others.

The Vistas (verandahs) on our sailings are sold out and that may well be the case for your cruise.

Now, one of them may be upsold creating an opening so definitely worth calling back in a few days. Good luck :)

As noted, depends on how much inventory is left to sell.

I don't think HAL does upsells straight from Inside to Balcony very often. Not unless there is a degree of desperation.

Taking a look at how much inventory is left might give you an idea of your chances.

How soon is your cruise and what ship: these are factors.

As noted, depends on how much inventory is left to sell.

I don't think HAL does upsells straight from Inside to Balcony very often. Not unless there is a degree of desperation.

Taking a look at how much inventory is left might give you an idea of your chances.

How soon is your cruise and what ship: these are factors.

My brother just got an upsell offer from an Inside to a balcony on the Koningsdam a couple of weeks ago. In fact he had two offers - the second one went quickly though.

The moral of the story is ... If you want an OV cabin, book an OV cabin ... If you want a balcony cabin, book a balcony cabin ! Not trying to defend HAL, but calling THEM narrow minded because of YOUR choice is pushing it !

My brother just got an upsell offer from an Inside to a balcony on the Koningsdam a couple of weeks ago. In fact he had two offers - the second one went quickly though.

That is great!! I am not surprised at all. It does not looks as if the K is having cabins flying off the shelf. Pricing down consistently, even for Europe sailings!

The best answer, IMO is to book and pay for the cabin y ou would like to be in. Most people who will be in that cab in cagtegory, chose and paid for it at the going rate or close to it. Why would any of us book full fare cabins if HAL continuously 'gives them away for lots less money than they charge us?

Is it the impression of many here tha t Koningsdam may not be selling out regularly?

The moral of the story is ... If you want an OV cabin, book an OV cabin ... If you want a balcony cabin, book a balcony cabin ! Not trying to defend HAL, but calling THEM narrow minded because of YOUR choice is pushing it !

Well said!

So do I already have to be in a cat C-FF OV to get an up-sell offer to a Verandah? If so, that seems like a pretty narrow minded way of doing things. Color me very disappointed. Do you think I should call in again and not mention the offer letter?

That is not how it has ever worked for us -- and we book low-end OVs pretty regularly. In any offer we have received, we've gotten offers to move to "whatever" they were selling -- better OVs, verandahs, suites. Of course, each category had its own price attached.

Unless I'm mistaken the OP merely assumed, apparently in error, for their cruise anyway, that higher categories were available and that HAL sent up sell offers for those categories to passengers booked in categories higher than theirs. You can dispute the possibility of such a practice. However I think your reply doesn't really address the point the OP made.

Unless I'm mistaken the OP merely assumed, apparently in error, for their cruise anyway, that higher categories were available and that HAL sent up sell offers for those categories to passengers booked in categories higher than theirs. You can dispute the possibility of such a practice. However I think your reply doesn't really address the point the OP made.

but the advice is good. and helpful for many that might be reading this post. The OP has already adhered to that advice and has a cabin of their choice and have done well in doing so. anything else now is a bonus.

but the advice is good. and helpful for many that might be reading this post. The OP has already adhered to that advice and has a cabin of their choice and have done well in doing so. anything else now is a bonus.

I have to agree, although personally, when I book I tend to hope that the big upsell at a good price will come my way. It only happened once though, which is a little hard to understand. I guess it was because it was only my second HAL cruise, after which the data started to show that I wasn't a major source of revenue. 🙂

Well just to add more fuel to this one, someone else on our same sailing got an up-sell offer from Vista to either Neptune or Pinnacle, but didn’t think the deal was attractive enough to change. So there are definitely higher cabin categories available than OV and definitely not (yet) being offered in my direction.

PS - very happy with Navigation deck aft, but if a great up-sell came along who wouldn't take it. Would you turn one down?

I was watching for new categories opening up on an upcoming sailing. The moment it changed from "Sold Out" to available on the HAL site was the moment I called my PCC to purchase the upgrade. Just had to keep an eye out!

I got an up-sell offer email today - obstructed H to OV C-FF for $99pp. Was absolutely not interested because we chose a very specific cat H (7083, Navigation deck aft on Volendam), but I would have maybe gone for an up-sell to a Verandah (for more money than requested for the OV up-sell,?

I just uploaded pics for the Volendam 7086 room next to yours at the facts about HAL site. Sounds as if you already know the benefits of those two rooms for wake watchers.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I was watching for new categories opening up on an upcoming sailing. The moment it changed from "Sold Out" to available on the HAL site was the moment I called my PCC to purchase the upgrade. Just had to keep an eye out!

Three weeks out first offer SS to SA. $1600 for one week NA