Informaiton about the Jewel of the Seas

Hi, we are trying to find a special cruise for our 25th anniversary next August 2019.

We have been going around in circles checking out all other cruise lines and have just found a back to back in the Western Med and Greek Islands on the Jewel of the Seas. Have only ever done a 3 night cruise on the IOS a few years back so really are not sure what to expect re the Jewel. We imagine that it will be busy with families that time of the year but it is the only time we can sail.

Is the ship like the IOS with the large promenade areas?

What perks do you get if you have a suite?

Is there any issues with soot on an aft balcony at all?

If we book 2 2 week cruises do we get any sort of discount for a back to back as on other cruise lines?

Do they have formal nights at all?

Thanks for any help you can give

PS Apologies for the spelling mistake at the top - I can spell really ;-)

Hi, we are trying to find a special cruise for our 25th anniversary next August 2019.

We have been going around in circles checking out all other cruise lines and have just found a back to back in the Western Med and Greek Islands on the Jewel of the Seas. Have only ever done a 3 night cruise on the IOS a few years back so really are not sure what to expect re the Jewel. We imagine that it will be busy with families that time of the year but it is the only time we can sail.

Is the ship like the IOS with the large promenade areas?No, the Jewel is quite a bit smaller than the IOS. There is no inside promenade on the Jewel, but there is an outside promenade deck. The Jewel has not all the bells and whistles like the bigger ships, i.e. no Flowrider. However it´s all about what you are looking for. To me the Jewel is one of my favourites.

What perks do you get if you have a suite? I´m sure Bob will be around with a list of the suite perks, but do NOT expect as much as you get on the new big ships. No butlers and such on Jewel.

Is there any issues with soot on an aft balcony at all? The potential is there, as on every ship, but haven´t seen big soot problems on Jewel.

If we book 2 2 week cruises do we get any sort of discount for a back to back as on other cruise lines? No!!! You simply book two different cruises. However make sure those two are linked, so they know you are on a B2B to make the transition from first to second cruise easier. You could still do this onboard and should make sure you are on the list once onboard.

Only "perk" there might be a lunch for B2B cruisers in the MDR, but no guarantee for this.

Do they have formal nights at all? Yes, on 14 night cruises it´s mostly 3 formal nights.

See my answers above.

Is the ship like the IOS with the large promenade areas? NO

What perks do you get if you have a suite? Concierge Lounge. (Not for a JR. Suite)

Is there any issues with soot on an aft balcony at all? NO

If we book 2 2 week cruises do we get any sort of discount for a back to back as on other cruise lines? Check with your TA

Do they have formal nights at all? YES there are 2 formal nights.

See the above.

Many thanks everyone so far - sounds like our sort of ship. We don't like the 'bells and whistles' and enjoy the forma nights. Really did not like the promenade area on the IOS.

Just been looking at the deck plans and we are very surprised that the suites (we want to treat ourselves) seem to be under deck 11 where all the noisy stuff happens! We got quite excited about an aft one on deck 10 until we saw that it was under Windjammers !

Can anyone recommend a good, quiet cabin with a large balcony where we can enjoy the sun and escape the crowds on a sea day? We are more than happy to walk and love being right at the front or right at the back :)

Thanks

Is the ship like the IOS with the large promenade areas? No she is far smaller and far nicer IMHO. Beautifully laid out with lots of glass and views of the sea. Even from the lifs.

What perks do you get if you have a suite? You will have access to the Concierge Lounge (assuming you are in a full suite and not just a JS). The CL is lovely with outside seating area

Is there any issues with soot on an aft balcony at all? Yes a little but it doesn't stop us booking the aft balconies. We have had both the favoured 1100 in the corner and 1602 (twice). Both are excellent cabins. We did not suffer from any noise from the WJ (as there is an outside seating area at the aft) but our friends had 1602 later in the year and they had terrible issues with very noisy Europeans sitting outside the WJ late into the evening. The other favoured cabin is 9256 which has an oversized balcony.

If we book 2 2 week cruises do we get any sort of discount for a back to back as on other cruise lines? I don't think RCI do this, but you could always check with your agent. The prices for Jewel next summer are very very cheap indeed!

Do they have formal nights at all? There are the usual 2 formal nights per 7 night cruise

I have just booked Jewel for summer 19, this will be our 4th cruise on her.

Last year we did 3 cruises on her in 6 months...says it all!!!

Many thanks everyone so far - sounds like our sort of ship. We don't like the 'bells and whistles' and enjoy the forma nights. Really did not like the promenade area on the IOS.

Just been looking at the deck plans and we are very surprised that the suites (we want to treat ourselves) seem to be under deck 11 where all the noisy stuff happens! We got quite excited about an aft one on deck 10 until we saw that it was under Windjammers !

Can anyone recommend a good, quiet cabin with a large balcony where we can enjoy the sun and escape the crowds on a sea day? We are more than happy to walk and love being right at the front or right at the back :)

Thanks

We were B2B in Jr Suite 1580 on Jewel recently. Noise from the carts in Windjammer was UNREAL. Never again will we book a room under Windjammer. It was early, late, no respite from it.

It wasn't our cabin of choice, not many Jr Suites left when they cancelled Adventure and we had to switch to Jewel.

We were B2B in Jr Suite 1580 on Jewel recently. Noise from the carts in Windjammer was UNREAL. Never again will we book a room under Windjammer. It was early, late, no respite from it.

It wasn't our cabin of choice, not many Jr Suites left when they cancelled Adventure and we had to switch to Jewel.

That's what we were thinking. We were so excited this morning about the corner suite and price and when we looked at the deck plans we were stunned. A shame as the ship looks lovely and the itinerary great.

• 4 weeks later...

We were in Cabin 9000 in Nov. '17. Quiet!!! Most far forward on Deck 9, port side. You can look up to see the bridge wing, and can be seen on the balcony as well, but that didn't bother us at all. We absolutely loved the JOS. Wife just commented earlier that we may find it to be our favorite ship. Some ships are the destination in and of themselves, for others, like the JOS, the ports are the destination. Case in point, we found the JOS just perfect for a relaxing, stress-free time on board. Loved the small, intimate onboard theater; wish all RCL ships had them. Got a book from the Library near the Schooner Lounge and enjoyed reading it while we were at sea in the Solarium and at the back of Deck 6 sipping on a coffee drink we'd get at Lattitudes. Our next cruise will be on Symphony of the Seas with 3 young grandchildren; high energy, go-go-go, run the wheels off them with all the onboard activities. Each style of cruising has its attractiveness; decide what's important for each and every cruise you go on & enjoy what the boat you pick for whatever your purpose is! I find it's not the boat or crew that makes or breaks the cruise for me; it's the Positive Mental Attitude I bring onboard.

Each style of cruising has its attractiveness; decide what's important for each and every cruise you go on & enjoy what the boat you pick for whatever your purpose is! I find it's not the boat or crew that makes or breaks the cruise for me; it's the Positive Mental Attitude I bring onboard.

Very well put!:)

Supporting what Septemberbride07 said, we thought the open deck seating aft of the Windjammer was fabulous!!! One of those more 'secret' spots not everybody knows (or cares???) about. Why eat inside the Windjammer, where it's noiser & so busy with people scuring to and fro? Taking in the sea air, the unfettered view, the relaxed atmosphere while we ate and didn't have to shout over the general noise level to talk to each other...it was a wow for us!

We had 9256 on our Western Med cruise and it was amazing! Quiet and the balcony is huge! Jewel is a great size ship and has an outdoor area at the Windjammer which is great.

The outdoor Windjammer area is still there? That's amazing! I thought it was being taken out with the refurb. I'm looking foward to enjoying it again on my fall sailing.

Looking forward to your take on Cabin 9000 WritenOnYourHeart! My wife & I stayed in this Cabin last Nov. on a So. Carib. cruise. Super enjoyed the location on the Jewel, as well as the cabin itself.

We also had that cabin in February, loved it.

Agreed. We are just off Jewel. Stayed in AFT junior suite directly under the outdoor seating of windjammer. Starting around 7am every single morning we would hear chairs being pushed, pulled. We are early risers, so it wasn’t much of an issue, but for anyone who likes to sleep in, they wouldn’t be happy. Non stop scrapping sounds. Other issue was around 11:30pm-12am every night we would hear the same noise. My assumption was the crew cleaning the deck and moving the chairs/tables. Never again would I book a floor directly below the windjammer. Besides that, the ship is great, and cruise was excellent. Enjoy.

My wife and I are doing a 9 night Greek Isles cruise on 'Jewel' in September. We can't wait!! :D

We've been on 'Sarenade' (our honeymoon cruise - full photo review is in my signature) and loved it it. 'Serenade' is the same class of ship to 'Jewel' and we loved the outdoor eating area of the Windjammer, the covered Solarium and the general layout of the ship .

We've also just booked an 8 night cruise next September on 'Brilliance' (again, same class as 'Jewel' - so what does that tell you! ;)).