Best Shoes for Alaska?

xqueenfrostine

This may be a silly question, but what kind of shoes do people bring to wear to Alaska to wear on excursions? Do you wear your normal walking shoes that you might wear at home or on any other vacation, or do you need something that better copes with the wet weather and the terrain? I live in a pretty dry climate, so choosing footwear that’s good with rain, puddles and mud hasn’t been much of a priority. If it matters, I don’t expect to be doing much more than walking around town or doing some nature trail walking during my time on shore and our cruise stops in Juneau, Skagway, Ketchikan and Victoria.

I have a pair of Brooks athletic shoes that have Goretex. I wear them at home when it rains so it is perfect for Alaska. They feel like normal athletic shoes. While I have Keen athletic/waterproof short boots I sometimes wear when it snows here and I have to shovel, I don't bring them to Alaska.

We all had hiking boots or shoes. Our son had more of a shoe style, but my husband and I both wore hiking boots. We've always had some, and they're nice and waterproof, but nothing crazy expensive. The one thing I did forget though, was a pair of just walking shoes. We spent 4 days in Seattle before we sailed and I ended up running to Nordstrom on our first day. I got a pair of canvas shoes, like Keds, for just basic walking around. I had some sandals for dinner and such, then the hiking boots, but I was wearing capris in Seattle and had nothing good for long walking.

So yes, boots or hiking shoes would be the best. And nice socks!

Welcome to Cruise Critic!

We've worn sneakers and walking shoes. One thing we always do is waterproof the shoes with silicone spray prior to the cruise. Wet feet will make your entire body miserable! As with any trip, if the shoes are new make sure you break them in first.

I wore Keens and was glad to have them because they kept my feet warm as well as dry. I brought my Nikes and wore them in Skagway where we were on a bus or train most of the time. Hubby wore regular running shoes but sometimes had to wear two pairs of socks for warmth.

Welcome to Cruise Critic!

We've worn sneakers and walking shoes. One thing we always do is waterproof the shoes with silicone spray prior to the cruise. Wet feet will make your entire body miserable! As with any trip, if the shoes are new make sure you break them in first.

Thanks! This is a great tip especially if you have a good pair of running shoes (sneaker) or walking shoes. No need to run out and buy new.

We bring a couple different kinds.

Sports shoes. Brink what you like. I wear Brooks and my wife Asics but there is no right or wrong.

We also bring low cut hiking shoes for excursions when it is wet or muddy. Easy to clean.

Keith

Hubby and I have the Nike mesh top running shoe. We bought a Merrell waterproof low hiking shoe. I want my feet to stay dry. I also bought a part wool sock. Going to Glacier Bay.

I have worn Merrell MOAB waterproof low hiking shoes on my previous 14 visits to Alaska and have never had wet feet.

I have a pair of Brooks athletic shoes that have Goretex. I wear them at home when it rains so it is perfect for Alaska. They feel like normal athletic shoes. While I have Keen athletic/waterproof short boots I sometimes wear when it snows here and I have to shovel, I don't bring them to Alaska.

Could you share specifically which model of Brooks you refer to? I love Brooks for running but haven't noticed a specific model that contained Goretex and was waterproof. TIA!

Edit: Oops, looks like I found them but please do confirm if you see this post. The Ghost GTX and Cascadia GTX both seem to fit your description - I guess the "GTX" means Gortex.

I bring my leather hiking boots and my Merrell Siren Sports. The Merrells are supremely comfortable and are GoreTex lined. They're not totally waterproof, but they do a pretty good job. I'm on my 10th or some such pair of these, and I surely hope they don't stop making them.

Could you share specifically which model of Brooks you refer to? I love Brooks for running but haven't noticed a specific model that contained Goretex and was waterproof. TIA!

Edit: Oops, looks like I found them but please do confirm if you see this post. The Ghost GTX and Cascadia GTX both seem to fit your description - I guess the "GTX" means Gortex.

Yes - they are Ghost GTX. I bought them and didn't realize that GTX was Gortex until I was in pouring rain one day and realized my feet were dry. I have since bought a few more pairs and only wear them when it rains or snows. They feel just like my regular Ghost athletic shoes. I used to wear Dyads but didn't like the last release and switched to Ghost.

For those who haven't tried Brooks before - they are amazing athletic shoes. They are geared towards runners but are great every day athletic shoe. I work on a college campus and some days am all over campus. I used to wear New Balance for maybe 10 years and one day tried Brooks and haven't looked back in years.

Yes - they are Ghost GTX. I bought them and didn't realize that GTX was Gortex until I was in pouring rain one day and realized my feet were dry. I have since bought a few more pairs and only wear them when it rains or snows. They feel just like my regular Ghost athletic shoes. I used to wear Dyads but didn't like the last release and switched to Ghost.

For those who haven't tried Brooks before - they are amazing athletic shoes. They are geared towards runners but are great every day athletic shoe. I work on a college campus and some days am all over campus. I used to wear New Balance for maybe 10 years and one day tried Brooks and haven't looked back in years.

Thank you for confirming and yes, Brooks are great for running but also for all around athletic use. Asics are my fallback if I can't find Brooks in the size/model/price I need (didn't mean to turn this into an athletic shoe review thread). :)

Thank you for confirming and yes, Brooks are great for running but also for all around athletic use. Asics are my fallback if I can't find Brooks in the size/model/price I need (didn't mean to turn this into an athletic shoe review thread). :)

I find ankle boots (my Keens or any other brand for that matter) uncomfortable for sightseeing. They are fine for the few days I wear them during the winter. I wear my Keens to work when it is snowy and ugly outside in the winter but I find athletic shoe much more comfortable. The Brooks Ghost GTX are the best of both worlds. Waterproof and comfort.

• 4 weeks later...

I agree with the previous posters - bring a broken in pair of shoes, any good walking or hiking shoe is great. You'll be walking much more than you normally do (it just happens) so be sure there are no 'hot-spots' as there's nothing worse than blisters on vacation! And the tip on ExperienceKetchikan's page - Bring a 2nd pair of shoes just in case the first pair gets wet.

"Wear closed toe shoes (for warmth). Comfortable ones!! A good walking or hiking shoe is perfect. I don’t recommend purchasing rain boots (although they are cute!) as they’ll be too big & clunky for your luggage, but if you water-proof your shoesir?t=experiketchi-20&l=li2&o=1&a=B003ZTXPJ6 you’ll be a happier walker if it’s raining! I’ve been hiking and have witnessed folks who are getting their dress shoes filthy as they are hiking on a muddy trail. Save your dress shoes for the Cruise Ship. You don't want to ruin your vacation because of wet, cold feet! I have always preferred Merrell's waterproof hiking shoesir?t=experiketchi-20&l=li2&o=1&a=B004OZPH9G, they fit well, keep my feet nice & dry, and are plain comfortable!"

another vote for the Brooks Ghost GTX, which are waterproof. I wear the regular Brooks Ghost shoes all the time......recently bought a pair of the GTX for our trip this summer.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Forums mobile app

They feel the same. I have worn both this week (yes, snow in April) and I can't tell the difference in how they feel.

Wow this thread is so timely for me. I tried on a pair of Merrill Moab WP yesterday and am thinking of getting them, but I didn't realize Brooks Ghost had a waterproof model. My workout shoes are Brooks Ghost - they are so comfortable and stable. Maybe I'll go with those.

Sent from my Pixel using Forums mobile app

Wow this thread is so timely for me. I tried on a pair of Merrill Moab WP yesterday and am thinking of getting them, but I didn't realize Brooks Ghost had a waterproof model. My workout shoes are Brooks Ghost - they are so comfortable and stable. Maybe I'll go with those.

Sent from my Pixel using Forums mobile app

I have worn my Merrell MOAB Waterproof (WP) many days in Alaska and have never had wet feet in spite of lots of rain. The Merrell arch supports and gripping soles were game changers for me.