Oasis class for 2020

There is no doubt the design of the Oasis class suit our cruising market. If it’s to come about I’d expect to see some serious port upgrades happening over the next 12 months.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The actual wharf at the OPT is capable of physically accomodating an Oasis class vessel after the recent renovations but the terminal building itself struggles to handle the even smaller Ovation ( sized) ship, particularly for the debark where there is a distinct lack of floor space for luggage and a very "user unfriendly "configuration for passenger flow . Due to its location there is no chance for expansion so unless there is a move to new terminal at Garden Island ( which would be a couple of years away if at all) sadly I cannot see an Oasis class ship being relocated to Sydney on an ongoing basis. I think there is also a distinct lack of "ports of call" in the region at which the Oasis class could visit successfully.

The actual wharf at the OPT is capable of physically accomodating an Oasis class vessel after the recent renovations but the terminal building itself struggles to handle the even smaller Ovation ( sized) ship, particularly for the debark where there is a distinct lack of floor space for luggage and a very "user unfriendly "configuration for passenger flow . Due to its location there is no chance for expansion so unless there is a move to new terminal at Garden Island ( which would be a couple of years away if at all) sadly I cannot see an Oasis class ship being relocated to Sydney on an ongoing basis. I think there is also a distinct lack of "ports of call" in the region at which the Oasis class could visit successfully.

Sadly I agree about our ports. It may well be 4 or 5 day cruises to nowhere.

It will be interesting to see if a Australian themed Oasis class does comes down under....

Also if its a new build with it been launch in Australia, then that could be a game changer.... (and could bite P&O OZ in the bum for not getting a new build....)

Australia has been crying out for a new build ship in our waters and RCI might be listing.....

On the ovation at the captains corner,captain hindrick said the ovation is the largest tender capacity ship built.

It was built for under developed ports that don’t have the capacity for large ships.

So Im shore one of the older oasis ships wouldn’t be suitable.

On the ovation at the captains corner,captain hindrick said the ovation is the largest tender capacity ship built.

It was built for under developed ports that don’t have the capacity for large ships.

So Im shore one of the older oasis ships wouldn’t be suitable.

Tendering on the ovation is an absolute nightmare, ship excursions on tender ports are the only answer for sure.

April 2019 we are losing explorer,see is going back to the Atlantic.

Repositioning cruises are on sale in the northern hemisphere.

Something is going on.

They are supposedly building Spectum (Quantum Plus class) specifically for Asian Pacific markets. Due for completion in 2019 - timing is right!

It will be interesting to see if a Australian themed Oasis class does comes down under....

Also if its a new build with it been launch in Australia, then that could be a game changer.... (and could bite P&O OZ in the bum for not getting a new build....)

Australia has been crying out for a new build ship in our waters and RCI might be listing.....

Next and only Oasis class currently on order is due for completion in 2021. That suggests that the speculation is either about an existing ship or the 2020 timeframe is out.

That said - no doubt it would exert some pressure on other lines to order new ships for the region.

There is no doubt the design of the Oasis class suit our cruising market. If it’s to come about I’d expect to see some serious port upgrades happening over the next 12 months.

I'm not sure 5400 pax at double occupancy is well suited to our market having seen what the 4000pax ships can do when calling at the smaller islands.

No doubt the ports that haven't already made changes, will need to consider the increased capacity.

While it would be nice....I just can't really see where it would sail to from Sydney....NZ ports would struggle to cope, of which I think it could only fit into a couple and certainly can't see too many in the South Pacific that could accommodate that many people or the ship. And not sure we have the market for what would be a repetitive cruise, ie the same ports every cruise. It works in Florida because of the population of America, but we would very quickly get bored with the same cruise each time. Maybe a one season wonder before moving to Asia where I know a lot of ports have recently built facilities to accommodate an Oasis Class.

While it would be nice....I just can't really see where it would sail to from Sydney....NZ ports would struggle to cope, of which I think it could only fit into a couple and certainly can't see too many in the South Pacific that could accommodate that many people or the ship. And not sure we have the market for what would be a repetitive cruise, ie the same ports every cruise. It works in Florida because of the population of America, but we would very quickly get bored with the same cruise each time. Maybe a one season wonder before moving to Asia where I know a lot of ports have recently built facilities to accommodate an Oasis Class.

Pretty much all cruises out of Sydney/Australia are repetitive due to the small number of available ports.

That said the nature of cruising is rapidly changing from one where the ship was a means of transport to a destination to one where the ship is the destination.

Pretty much all cruises out of Sydney/Australia are repetitive due to the small number of available ports.

That said the nature of cruising is rapidly changing from one where the ship was a means of transport to a destination to one where the ship is the destination.

Good point. The mass market ships are becoming more and more like floating RSL clubs with a 3 star hotel and a shopping mall attached.

Yes on the Royal Carribean forum,two more oasis ships on the way 2023 and 2026.

Also some gossip on RC blog.

But it’s rumours?

OK got it https://boards.cruisecritic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2617890

Really looks like a throw-away line in the context of the story. Will be watching intently for further confirmation!

Edited by banzaii

But is that what the punters really want? I've noticed already with quantum class itineraries there seems to be less ports and more sea days even on the Ovation TP in April 2019. Whether this is true or not should become obvious when the 2019-20 deployment is release in the next week or so!