Ketchikan- Which Totem Park -Duck Tour - Lumberjack Show

carlsbadguy

I am planning my excursions for my Alaska cruise in August. I am planning on a Do It Yourself day. Which of the 3 Totem Parks Saxman Village, Totem Brite, or Totem Heritage Center would you recommend? I do realize I would need to take a bus to Saxman or Totem Brite.

Also is the lumberjack show worthwhile for adults and has anyone taken the Duck Tour?

Thanks

Totem Heritage Center is not a "park". It is a museum.

I suggest- you look at the details of each of these areas, in my opinion, Saxman is superior guided. Each is certainly - equally worthwhile depending on "you". :)

All kinds of reviews on the Duck and Lumberjack tour- totally individual opinions depending on interests.

It's important however, with some itineraries having short port time in Ketchikan to be conservative with planning more than 1 tour.

Go on YouTube and search for Lumberjack Show Ketchikan. Somebody posted a video of pretty much the whole show. After watching it we decided it looked pretty lame and we won't bother with it. Seeing it should help you decide.

I personally did not like the lumberjack show. Duck tour was ok. I was bored in the Totem Heritage Center but I am one that likes to be outside. It all depends if you like this type of stuff (lumberjack and duck tour).

Have you looked at Saxman or Totem Bight?

Hi,

I went to Ketchikan for the 1st time last September and visited the Totem Bight State Park + the Southeast Alaska DiscoveryCenter + the historical downtown with Creek Street and Thomas HistoricDistrict.

I really enjoyed the Totem Bight State Park and spent one hour. FYI, fees entrance is $5 per person. There is a city bus, every hour with the silver line Northbound (from the dock to the park) and Southbound(to come back) line. The bus fare is only $2 per person one way ($5 for a day pass). It’s super easy and not far from the dock (the park is only 10 miles away).

I also recommend the Southeast Alaska Discovery Center if you are curious about Alaska’s history, wildlife, and natural environment.

If you’re interested I wrote an article about my Do It yourself day in Ketchikan: http://daydreamunderthestars.com/2017/11/11/ketchikan-the-salmon-capital-of-the-world/

Let me know if you have any questions

Enjoy your trip!

Marie

I prefer Totem Bight which also has Potlatch Park right next door. (Here's a good write-up on all of the Totem Parks & poles around town) Totem Bight has a lovely, short walk though the trees and out onto an opening with a gorgeous view! And Potlatch Park next door has amazing old cars, and probably the best gift store in town. Both parks are no-charge (not so for Saxman) You can take the bus or take a taxi.

Do you have the Bus schedule? Here it is... http://www.borough.ketchikan.ak.us/DocumentCenter/View/5073 You would be taking the Silver Line.

Totem Heritage Center is great for it's old photos on the wall (my favorite part) and to see authentic totems and artifacts. But it's very much a museum - a time for quiet reflection! It's easy to get to as it's right in town, just a short walk.

I love both the Duck Tour and the Lumberjack Show and do each of them yearly. They are both fun & entertaining. The Duck tour isn't great when it's POURING outside or when it's super HOT outside. But it's a sit-down tour and sometime that's exactly what you want - to sit down and ride around town! Enjoy!!

Thanks for the info on the Totem Bight Park and Bus Schedule. I think we will do that first thing in the morning after arrival and then take the bus back to town and walk around. I will be in Ketchikan on a Sunday so reduced bus schedule. Which stop on the Southbound schedule would bring me back closest to Creek Street.