Maui

reps23

Hi,

We will be docking in Maui on Friday, April 20 and renting a car from Alamo from 8:30 a.m. until 4:30 p.m. I always like to follow cruise critic readers on their opinions which I have found to be really helpful.

Where should we go and what should we do? We have no problem driving anywhere but there is a lot of conflicting advice about driving halfway to Hana. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much for your help.

Phyllis

We will be docking in Maui on Friday, April 20...

You mention docking, and we want to make sure you know your ship will be anchoring off of Lahaina and tendering passengers in there, so please make sure your scheduling considers time waiting for and taking tenders. As to attempting to do (even part of) the road to Hana, that may be a bit too ambitious given the hours you will be here. We're sure you'll get a lot of other great suggestions though!

You mention docking, and we want to make sure you know your ship will be anchoring off of Lahaina and tendering passengers in there, so please make sure your scheduling considers time waiting for and taking tenders. As to attempting to do (even part of) the road to Hana, that may be a bit too ambitious given the hours you will be here. We're sure you'll get a lot of other great suggestions though!

Thanks for pointing that out but that is the reason I booked for 8:30 is because we anchor (supposedly at 7 a.m.) Thought that was enough time to get to car rental at Alamo.

Given you are coming ashore at Lahaina, and have somewhat limited time, I definitely wouldn't go to Hana. That is your entire day...and you are going to worry about time.

However, not knowing anything about your interests, tough to recommend something. Are you beach oriented? Golf? Just want to see some of the island?

Would we have enough time to drive halfway to Hana. We would like to see as much of Maui as possible.

To be honest (and this is just our opinion), in order to do either justice, choose between the road to Hana or seeing various sights around the island given the time you have available.

You are extremely tight on getting to Hana and back given your time constraints and will have little to no time to actually stop and see the sights. I’d honestly ditch the car and take a taxi or Uber to Kaanapali or Wailea for a beach day than try Hana and have to rush it.

To be honest (and this is just our opinion), in order to do either justice, choose between the road to Hana or seeing various sights around the island given the time you have available.

I agree...one or the other based on their preference.

If on Princess, Elite level & full suite passengers and those on ship’s tours tender first which could result in other passengers arriving later than 8:30. And it’s been my experience that long lines for the tender back to the ship began at about 3:30. If on a different cruise line, their process may be similar.

Add traffic delays in the West Maui area (Lahaina to Kapalua) and time gets even tighter. It’s not unusual for the 45 minute drive between Kahului & Lahaina to take twice as long and picking up & returning the car will take time.

Would we have enough time to drive halfway to Hana. We would like to see as much of Maui as possible.

Thanks for the input.

Phyllis

‘reps23’...you could drive halfway to Hana if everything goes well but it’ll be a busy day.

Edited by Astro Flyer

If you have your heart set on doing the road to Hana, could you possibly do a ship sponsored tour or another tour company?

Agree- Hana will be so tight based on your port times that doing it on your own you have a genuine risk of missing the ship. I think the only way to do it and enjoy it would be a ship sponsored tour where the ship will wait for you.

Hana, even halfway, will take you most of your day. The other side of the island is very drivable and lots to see there! Get a guidebook! That way, you can determine the things that really interest you! Along with tips on HOW!!!

The Road to Hana is a great way to kill an entire day...and it should be done on a land-based trip...not a short day in port!

Hi,

We will be docking in Maui on Friday, April 20 and renting a car from Alamo from 8:30 a.m. until 4:30 p.m. I always like to follow cruise critic readers on their opinions which I have found to be really helpful.

Where should we go and what should we do? We have no problem driving anywhere but there is a lot of conflicting advice about driving halfway to Hana. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much for your help.

Phyllis

We did this a few years ago. On Celebrity. We opted not to go to Hana. It is too far but we did go to Haleakala the volcano. Amazing drive and spectacular scenery from the top. It was a comfortable drive there and back and we stopped at a beach on our way back. There are driving guides to Hawaii you can download to your phone that will give you directions and a guided tour along the way.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Avis/Budget has a shuttle that will pick you up- the rental agency is in Kapalua north of Lahaina.

Ah, no, Budget/Avis is south of the airport, at the northern end of Ka'anapali. About 10 or so minutes drive, depending on traffic. No where near Kapalua.

• 2 weeks later...

If our port times are 8am to 10pm tender at Lahaina. Is it possible to hire a car, so get the shuttle to the airport car rental depot and return to Lahaina, and drive the RTH?

Cruise is on Ovation of the seas in April/May 2019.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If our port times are 8am to 10pm tender at Lahaina. Is it possible to hire a car, so get the shuttle to the airport car rental depot and return to Lahaina, and drive the RTH?

It is possible. When we drive it we usually leave around 9:30-10am stopping in Paia for a late breakfast. You can be in Hana for a late lunch. We then continue all the way around and you can be back to the airport around 6-7pm. This leave time for some stops but not much.

When I take visiting friends on the drive we will usually stop in Paia for about 20-30 min, Hana for about 30, the Seven Sacred Pools for about 30-45 min, and then continue to drive the way around without much of a stop beyond a quick photo op or the general store that’s on the back side. Optional substitute would be the lava caves. You’ll have enough time not to rush but don’t dawdle.

Whatever you do, don’t drive to Hana and then turn around and drive the same way back in reverse. Keep going all the way around- it’s extremely beautiful.

It is possible. When we drive it we usually leave around 9:30-10am stopping in Paia for a late breakfast. You can be in Hana for a late lunch. We then continue all the way around and you can be back to the airport around 6-7pm. This leave time for some stops but not much.

When I take visiting friends on the drive we will usually stop in Paia for about 20-30 min, Hana for about 30, the Seven Sacred Pools for about 30-45 min, and then continue to drive the way around without much of a stop beyond a quick photo op or the general store that’s on the back side. Optional substitute would be the lava caves. You’ll have enough time not to rush but don’t dawdle.

Whatever you do, don’t drive to Hana and then turn around and drive the same way back in reverse. Keep going all the way around- it’s extremely beautiful.

Thank you, As an alternate option I have contacted a couple of tour companies but one doesn’t pick up from Lahaina and the other - Hana Tours of Maui was replying via fb messenger but they have gone quiet..

Thank you, As an alternate option I have contacted a couple of tour companies but one doesn’t pick up from Lahaina and the other - Hana Tours of Maui was replying via fb messenger but they have gone quiet..

You really don’t need a tour group- in fact I think it’s more fun not to go with one. You’ll hear people say the driver gets a bad deal because it’s a drive, that while perfectly safe all the way around, does demand your attention. But having been the driver many times, I think you get a slightly different yet still rewarding experience.

I have been on the mini buses they use (been stuck behind them numerous times) but I have to imagine a Jeep or a nice SUV is way more comfortable than a rattley mini bus.

If you do drive around the full way you will come to some unpaved roads. You don’t need a Jeep (although they’re fun to rent for this drive) but I wouldn’t get a rear wheel drive sporty car like a Mustang. I’ve done the drive in numerous Jeeps, but have also taken an all wheel drive Honda sedan as well as a front wheel drive Dodge minivan and all have been perfectly fine.

Let's do the math here. Just because the ship supposedly arrives at 8 a.m. does not mean tender operations will start immediately. Those on the ship's tours will tender first. It is up to the Harbormaster how long your ride will take. We have come right in sometimes and other times we had to hold outside the harbor until there was space/timing for us to get to the dock (Lahaina is a small harbor). After that you have to get to the car rental agency. When you get on the road, you will need about 45 minutes to get to Kahului (where Hana Highway begins). The following schedule is from a tourmaui.com website and will give you an idea of timing from there. Remember to add about another hour to get from Kahului back to the car agency in Lahaina plus time to get to the tender dock. From what we read, your ship leaves at 10 p.m., so the last tender would obviously be well before that. No opinions. Just a FYI for consideration. Last thought - how late is your car rental company open in Lahaina? You may have to return the car before they close.

The schedule we mentioned:

5 hours one way. 7 to 9 hours round trip from Kahului depending on stops. Drive to Hana and back – 10 to 12 hours depending on stops and finding a place for lunch or a picnic. Drive all the way around (do the loop) – 10-12 hours with more stops but less time at them.

Edited by Silver Sweethearts

Let's do the math here. Just because the ship supposedly arrives at 8 a.m. does not mean tender operations will start immediately. Those on the ship's tours will tender first. It is up to the Harbormaster how long your ride will take. We have come right in sometimes and other times we had to hold outside the harbor until there was space/timing for us to get to the dock (Lahaina is a small harbor). After that you have to get to the car rental agency. When you get on the road, you will need about 45 minutes to get to Kahului (where Hana Highway begins). The following schedule is from a tourmaui.com website and will give you an idea of timing from there. Remember to add about another hour to get from Kahului back to the car agency in Lahaina plus time to get to the tender dock. From what we read, your ship leaves at 10 p.m., so the last tender would obviously be well before that. No opinions. Just a FYI for consideration. Last thought - how late is your car rental company open in Lahaina? You may have to return the car before they close.

The schedule we mentioned:

5 hours one way. 7 to 9 hours round trip from Kahului depending on stops. Drive to Hana and back – 10 to 12 hours depending on stops and finding a place for lunch or a picnic. Drive all the way around (do the loop) – 10-12 hours with more stops but less time at them.

The loop is more like 7-8 hours with a few stops. Have done it many times.

Thanks for the comments, we will be on the first tender as we are in a suite so that helps! And I was thinking that we would pick up and return the car rental at the airport as it is open for longer hours, based on my research the other depots are 8-5.

As I mentioned on another thread in this section unless I can book direct with the tour company that runs this shore excursion for the cruise line I’ll think it would be easier to book with Royal Caribbean.