Which scooter to purchase

I am looking at purchasing a travel scooter and never realized that there were so many different suppliers and models out there. I would be using it for other travel besides cruising and also shopping when at home as I am very limited in the amount of walking I am able. I am 6ft 2in and approximately 215bs. Any suggestions and or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

I am looking at purchasing a travel scooter and never realized that there were so many different suppliers and models out there. I would be using it for other travel besides cruising and also shopping when at home as I am very limited in the amount of walking I am able. I am 6ft 2in and approximately 215bs. Any suggestions and or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

In 2016 I bought a travelscoot. I was lucky my insurance almost completely covered the cost and I have been very happy with it. I can lift it in and out of my car and manage to disassemble and reassemble when needed. It doesn’t like deep snow (but unless you’re a skier, who does). I bought 2 of its largest batteries and I have never run one down completely in a day. I never tried it before I used it so I wasn’t sure what to expect when it arrived but it has met and exceeded my expectations. I think you will find there are fans of every type. What I would do is decide what is important for you from a travel scooter and then see which brands meet those needs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Height and weight are not the only things you need to consider when purchasing a mobility scooter. You should be properly evaluated by a Physical Therapist and or an Occupational Therapist . It's not as easy as just getting recommendations from strangers on CC that know nothing about your needs and capabilities,

Things to consider such as but not limited to :

• is the seat height adjustible to accomodate your height ?
  • is there enough leg clearance from the front edge of the seat to the tiler ?
  • does the seat swivel to facitate getting on and off ? This is also necessary if you plan to remain in the scooter while at a table.
  • do you require arm rests to assist with balance as well as getting upright ? Some scooters such as the Travelscoot and Smartscoot do not have arm rest nor are they available as an an option.
  • do you require a flat solid foot bed ? Some scooters only have foot peg rests such as the Smartscoot and Travelscoot and do not have a flat foot bed.
  • do you require a Delta Tiler that allows you to operate reverse and drive with one hand or is a standard left hand reverse right hand drive workable ?
  • how do you plan to transport the scooter ?
  • If the scooter breaks apart or folds are you able to do that ?
  • Do you require a 3 wheelscooter or 4 wheelscooter ? Important if you have balance issues.
  • Do you plan to use this in your home ? If so what is the threshold clearance of all your doors?
  • Do you require a back rest ? There are some scooter such as the Travelscoot only offers a back rest as an additional cost. .
  • Do you need a padded seat ? Some are just hard PVC such as the Luggie.
  • What seat width do you require? Not all scooter come with a seat width option.
  • Do you intend to use the scooter on gravel and or grass ? If so than wheel height and underclearance hieght needs to be considered.

Edited by xxoocruiser

In 2016 I bought a travelscoot. I was lucky my insurance almost completely covered the cost and I have been very happy with it. I can lift it in and out of my car and manage to disassemble and reassemble when needed. It doesn’t like deep snow (but unless you’re a skier, who does). I bought 2 of its largest batteries and I have never run one down completely in a day. I never tried it before I used it so I wasn’t sure what to expect when it arrived but it has met and exceeded my expectations. I think you will find there are fans of every type. What I would do is decide what is important for you from a travel scooter and then see which brands meet those needs.

Thanks, travelscoot is one of the ones I'm looking at.

Height and weight are not the only things you need to consider when purchasing a mobility scooter. You should be properly evaluated by a Physical Therapist and or an Occupational Therapist . It's not as easy as just getting recommendations from strangers on CC that know nothing about your needs and capabilities,

Things to consider such as but not limited to :

• is the seat height adjustible to accomodate your height ?
  • is there enough leg clearance from the front edge of the seat to the tiler ?
  • does the seat swivel to facitate getting on and off ? This is also necessary if you plan to remain in the scooter while at a table.
  • do you require arm rests to assist with balance as well as getting upright ? Some scooters such as the Travelscoot and Smartscoot do not have arm rest nor are they available as an an option.
  • do you require a flat solid foot bed ? Some scooters only have foot peg rests such as the Smartscoot and Travelscoot and do not have a flat foot bed.
  • do you require a Delta Tiler that allows you to operate reverse and drive with one hand or is a standard left hand reverse right hand drive workable ?
  • how do you plan to transport the scooter ?
  • If the scooter breaks apart or folds are you able to do that ?
  • Do you require a 3 wheelscooter or 4 wheelscooter ? Important if you have balance issues.
  • Do you plan to use this in your home ? If so what is the threshold clearance of all your doors?
  • Do you require a back rest ? There are some scooter such as the Travelscoot only offers a back rest as an additional cost. .
  • Do you need a padded seat ? Some are just hard PVC such as the Luggie.
  • What seat width do you require? Not all scooter come with a seat width option.

All very good and valid points, many of which I am using to make my decision. I don't need it around the home, and can transfer to the table at restaurants, but adjustable seats and height are very important as the back rest. Thanks for pointing those things out.

I forgot to mention if you have a specific question about my travelscoot experience please feel free to ask me. I don’t mind sharing my experience.

I am from Ohio too. If you have a Medmart near you go and check out all the different models and brands. Any medical supply place can help too. I also found prices online were the same as in a brick and mortar store. An actual store was my choice. I got great advice and was able to take them apart right in the showroom.

I have a Travelscoot and have travelled extensively with it by plane, train and automobile (like the movie!!). I love it and can't go very far without someone asking me about it. At the airport over the weekend one person in the airport called it my Mercedes and another airport person called it my Lamborgini!! It gets lots of smiles and comments.

It does have a backrest. The seat is not all that soft and after sitting for awhile it's not that comfortable. I am going to look into having a softer seat at an upholstery place.

I have a basket that I bought with the scooter that I use for shopping and it's very handy.

It is quite easy to remove the seat and back rest and put the handlebars down so it fits into a car trunk or small van. It can go into the trunk of a car quite easily if the trunk is deep enough or even in the back seat of a car. We use taxis extensively in Mexico where we spend the winter and the Travelscoot travels well in the cars there.

Feel free to ask any questions.

Wendy

We purchased a travel scooter a few weeks ago. We went to a nearby scooter store and test drove a few to get the feel of what you want. After we did that we did internet price shopping and bought from Spinlife because of their prices.

I have been using my travelscoot for over 10 years. The original (yes I have one) did not have a reverse gear so you had to act like Fred Flintstone if you wanted to back up. I highly recommend seeing a physical or occupational therapist before purchase. If you have a list of what you are looking at the therapist can give you an unbiased opinion of what scooter will meet your needs. My problem with going on-line or to a brick and mortar store is that they do not know your needs. You may even have an undiagnosed condition that would make one brand a better choice. The stores I have been to only promote the brands they are associated with. My travelscoot does have a back rest and had a hard seat until I had it reupholstered. I had the seat cushion replaced with a much thicker foam and the vinyl cover replaced with sunsetter type fabric. I now love the seat which is not cold in the winter nor hot in the summer. I also have a basket and the pedal like foot rests which make it easier to manage my feet. Good luck with your search.

Thanks to all for some great advice. I will visit some showrooms to test before purchasing, which I hadn't thought of doing before.

The Travelscoot is not sold in any brick and mortor durable equipment stores. In order to test drive you're going to have to find someone locally that will let you try theirs or rent one for a few days.

Rental link http://travelscootrentals.com/

If you plan to use the Travelscoot on cruises and book standard cabins, know that the travelscoot can't be driven in/out of a standard cruise cabin door. You'll have to get off of it an tilt it to get through the door . Most standard cruise cabins are 23" wide door frame to door frame. 2" must be decucted as the door does not open flush to the wall. Thus leaving the actual threshold clearance only 21". The Travelscoot is 24" wide at the back wheels.

Not attempting to talk you out of buying a Travelscoot just pointing out somethings you may not have considered.

We have a smartscoot. Similar to a travelscoot but after comparing design and features we felt the smartscoot was the better choice. Look at them both. Smartscoot will hook you up with someone near you so you can see it and try in. It is not sold in stores

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We have a smartscoot. Similar to a travelscoot but after comparing design and features we felt the smartscoot was the better choice. Look at them both. Smartscoot will hook you up with someone near you so you can see it and try in. It is not sold in stores

Good idea to try a scooter before buying. I wish I could have done the same. I don't regret buying the Travelscoot but I would have liked to try a few and compare them before buying. I bought mine sight unseen and it was shipped to me. A bit of a struggle assembling it the first time from the printed directions. There was an error on the page and it stumped us for about 2 hours!!

FYI

Smartscoot can go 7mph at top speed. I think travelscoot has 4mph top speed

More power means Handles inclines better. We actually saw this on a cruise where I could get up the ramp on my smartscoot and cruiser on travelscoot could not.

Has a single center bar vs travelscoot v shape. Easier to get on or to walk over curbs.

Back wheels can be reduced in width to fit through any cabin.

That’s our take on the difference

Good idea to try a scooter before buying. I wish I could have done the same. I don't regret buying the Travelscoot but I would have liked to try a few and compare them before buying. I bought mine sight unseen and it was shipped to me. A bit of a struggle assembling it the first time from the printed directions. There was an error on the page and it stumped us for about 2 hours!!

I know thiss info doesn;t help you but might be helpful to anyone now considering aTravescoot. It's been report on CC that Travelscoot has to reached out customers in the area to arrange for a perspective buyer test ride it .

I know thiss info doesn;t help you but might be helpful to anyone now considering aTravescoot. It's been report on CC that Travelscoot has to reached out customers in the area to arrange for a perspective buyer test ride it .

That's an excellent reason to deal with a brick and mortar business. And you can check out several brands. Think about it...would you buy a car you knew nothing about or couldn't test drive on the internet?

That's an excellent reason to deal with a brick and mortar business. And you can check out several brands. Think about it...would you buy a car you knew nothing about or couldn't test drive on the internet?

I have to disagree. You cannot purchase a Smartscoot or Travelscoot from a typical mobility store. You you want a traditional scooter, those stores are great. But if you want a lightweight portable, foldable travel scooter, Smartscoot and Travelscoot are the gold standard. I have hosted several people who have come to test drive my Smartscoot. It sells itself. They all tell us they have been to the stores and did not like what they saw because the scooters were too heavy and bulky for their needs.

Those who buy these scooters have some mobility issues but do not use the scooter all the time. They can walk, with or without a cane, but need the scooter for longer distances. For example, I never use the scooter at home. When we go out, a cane suffices. Sometimes I love the can home. I never use the scooter on board the ship. I use it only for excursions when longer distances are anticipated. The Travelscoot and the Smartscoot are not for everyone but when they are appropriate they are fabulous options.

Edited by bitob

I don't understand your post at all? What are you trying to say?

I don't understand your post at all? What are you trying to say?

My MS symptoms were greatly impacting my ability to type today. People not living with the devastating effects of MS don't understand that.

Post # 17 was response to your Post #18 stated :

Translated :

I know this info doesn't help you now but might be helpful to anyone considering a Travelscoot. It's been reported on CC that if you contact Travelscoot they have been known to reach out to their customers in the local area to arrange for a perspective buyer to test ride it.

It really wasn't all that difficult to understand even with the bad typing. In fact Boozebabe understood it based on Post #20

My MS symptoms were greatly impacting my ability to type today. People not living with the devastating effects of MS don't understand that.

Post # 17 was response to your Post #18 stated :

Translated :

I know this info doesn't help you now but might be helpful to anyone considering a Travelscoot. It's been reported on CC that if you contact Travelscoot they have been known to reach out to their customers in the local area to arrange for a perspective buyer to test ride it.

It really wasn't all that difficult to understand even with the bad typing. In fact Boozebabe understood it based on Post #20

Thank you for the clarification and sorry that it bothered you. I really wasn't sure what the post meant and certainly didn't mean to insult you. I can't imagine your difficulty and I do apologize.

Because I have a Travelscoot I wanted to be sure I got it right.

I don't think that Boozebabe understood you either based on her post #20. We kind of knew but just wanted to clarify. You always give such detailed and perfect explanations that this one really caught us by surprise. Sorry about this.