Port Stop To-Do’s w/ young kids in Catalina & Ensenada

Flowerfam

We will be embarking on our first cruise with the Carnival Inspiration to Baja Mexico mid June with 8 and 4 year old daughters. What are the best activities in Catalina and Ensenada for this age? We were not necessarily planning on excursions but wondered if there’s specific recommendations in those ports? Thank you!

Stay on the ship.

Doesn't seem like the helpful advice the OP was looking for......

Well.... that was our first cruise too and we didn't do much. Some ports are more exciting than others! ;p

OP, I suggest you read/research the Ports of Call boards for these ports. I will give you the links and you can get started. Once there, use the Search function and you will pull up dozens of threads.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=226 <--California board

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=203 <--Mexico board

:D

I don't know if it's still there, but we walked to a funky, old mini-golf place in Catalina that was a lot of fun. It's been a lot of years, but you could Google it to see if it's still around.

Thank you!

We rented a golf cart and drove around the island with our two kids. Great fun!

Agree, we have done this as well. Most passengers simply walk around the port in Catalina Island. Another idea is to take them to the beach...it's a short walk...the water's clear but it's cold.

In Ensenada, you can walk to town (left turn on Cardenas Street) in about 15 minutes or take the shuttles...about a 2 minute ride to the main street. Most passengers drink, eat, and buy souvenirs here. I can't think of anything for 4 and 8 year olds to do in Ensenada.

There's a souvenir shop at the port but souvenirs are way overpriced and you cannot haggle. Sadly, as someone else said...perhaps staying onboard may be a great idea. Happy Sailing!

Oh my goodness, so many wet blankets here.

OP, this was our first cruise, too. The beach in Catalina is a great idea, you know how kids don’t mind cold ocean water. I had to watch mine for their lips to start turning blue around the edges and insist they come out to warm up. And I recall being the child in this scenario too [emoji4]

You might want to bring some plastic sand toys for the kids, and of course beach/pool towels from the shop.

On Catalina, the kids might also enjoy the glass bottom boat , but check on the boards for recent reports as far as visibility and what can be seen.

For Ensenada, do walk downtown! Have tacos at one of the restaurants, and let the kids shop for souvenirs. What may seem tacky to adults will be exotic and special to them.

Have fun!

• 2 weeks later...

Whoa, get off the ship at the ports. Run around and let your hair down. I plan to just suck it up, spend a little money and have fun in Ensenada. I always get bargains at the port shops but then again, I catch them right before they close and I guess my extra $10 is better than nothing.

Stay on the ship.

Here's something on Catalina Island. I've only been there to scuba dive. I lived in San Diego and it was easy to get to.

https://www.viator.com/Catalina-Island/d24024-ttd

Ensenada ... again, lived in San Diego for almost 15 years. There is La Bufadora (The Blowhole). The kids may think that's fun. And I'm sure there are shops for trinkets and gifts.

https://www.shoreexcursionsgroup.com/tour/la-bufadora-city-ensenada/MXENBUFACITY