San Pedro Hotels

bobnfl

We are cruising on the princess star next march and will need to stay overnight close to the port. Can anyone steer me to a decent place. We will be flying into LAX and transportation would be nice if they provide that. Don't know if we will be using princess ez air or making out own arrangements. just trying to get an early start looking.

Thanks for any help

We have stayed at the DoubleTree in San Pedro. Less than 5 minutes to the port. They have a shuttle to the port, but I don't remember if they charge. Transport from LAX is taxi ($75 or so), Uber (similar amount), Super Shuttle ($17 pp but always seems to be a long wait).

Not sure if any of the port hotels can/will pick up at the airport.

Your best option for pick up is to use PrimeTime, Supershuttle, or arrange for a private transfer.

We use Kevin Ingram at mylimo1@att.net. His prices are comparable to a shared transfer and he drives a very nice town car. Don't everyone call him at the same time.:eek::D

For hotels: there are 2 in the immediate area of the port. Crowne Plaza (stayed there once, didn't like it) and Sunrise (almost next door to CP). Never stayed there, but have talked to them and they did good phone. Both are within walking distance of the port, if you like to walk.

There are also 2 that aren't as close. Best Western Plus (gets good reviews, I've never stayed there) and DoubleTree (my go to hotel).

All 4 have port shuttles. Prices are all over the place, it just depends on when you book. Figure on spending at least $125 to $200/night. Also, they all have fly/cruise packages.

We have stayed at the DoubleTree in San Pedro. Less than 5 minutes to the port. They have a shuttle to the port, but I don't remember if they charge. Transport from LAX is taxi ($75 or so), Uber (similar amount), Super Shuttle ($17 pp but always seems to be a long wait).

DTs shuttle is free.

IIRC - Crowne Plaza charges for theirs.

Crowne Plaza or DoubleTree. Stayed at CP twice but will try DoubleTree next time. Crowne Plaza was OK but not fabulous. Lots of folks like the DoubleTree. Both have a shuttle. DT has a free shuttle. I've been told that CP charges for the shuttle but have used it twice with no charge.

I read posts on CC that CP charged for their shuttle before our most recent stay in January 2017 but it was free.

I’ve had shuttle problems from both the DT & CP but when it was the CP it was easy to walk to the hotel to drive back to the port to get my wife & our luggage.

SP hotels & transportation options are frequently discussed on the West Coast forum:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=413

Edited by Astro Flyer

The Vagabond Inn.............the owner is a real hands-on guy....and a people person......most of the time he drives the shuttle van himself, taking passengers to/from the cruiseport......Could NOT ask for a better person.....highly recommend the place. It is right next door to the Best Western Plus.

The Best Western's driver has somewhat of an attitude!

I stayed at the Crowne Plaza LAX last year post cruise. The Uber from port to hotel wasn’t much and they do have a free airport shuttle. Hotel was definitely nice.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Just to put my 3 cents in.

Crown Plaza and Double Tree are mid priced. Sunrise hotel is economy, but fine for one night. All have free shuttles to the pier. None have shuttles from the airport. Suggest you use one of the group shuttles from the airport, Super Shuttle or Prime Time. Crown Plaza and Sunrise are within walking distance of some restaurants. The Double Tree is further away and you have to use their service to get to off site restaurants.

We stay at the Crowne Plaza using their Park and Sail package. It includes free parking for up to 15 days, a couple of drinks, breakfast buffet for two and shuttle to/from the ship. They also have a Fly and Sail pcakage.

Vagabond Inn- what... a... dump. At least the time we stayed there. Moved to the CP and never looked back.

We are cruising on the princess star next march and will need to stay overnight close to the port. Can anyone steer me to a decent place. We will be flying into LAX and transportation would be nice if they provide that. Don't know if we will be using princess ez air or making out own arrangements. just trying to get an early start looking.

Thanks for any help

Let me try to give you as complete a rundown as possible...

First, understand that everyone has different standards for what they consider acceptable in a hotel. That is why you're seeing so many different opinions here.

Also know that it is around 20 miles from LAX to San Pedro...so nobody offers a "free" shuttle from LAX to a

San Pedro hotel. At times when some hotels have offered a special rate including shuttles, the shuttle is contracted out and the cost is merely blended into the rate. But, for the most part, you will have to find your own transportation. The choices for this are simple--it's either a shared shuttle, a hired car service or limo, a taxi or Uber/Lyft. Uber isn't nearly as expensive as someone posted earlier...it is far less than a taxi...and, for two people, ends up only slightly more that a shared shuttle. I'd keep away from taxis--the meter keeps going and they tend to get expensive. For shared shuttles, the two major companies are Super Shuttle and Prime Time Shuttle...but there are several others--RoadRunner, Karmel and others...You should expect to pay around $16-17 per person--but a shared shuttle often wastes a lot of time picking up and dropping off others. For a reasonable car service, look at Execucar (owned by Super Shuttle).

There are really only two hotels that I would consider in San Pedro--the Crowne Plaza and the Doubletree. The Crowne Plaza is in a great location--in the heart of Downtown San Pedro--walking distance to the pier (or very short Uber or hotel shuttle ride--about 3-4 blocks). It is a typical multi-story chain hotel with typical service and amenities. Most of the restaurant choices in the area are within a couple of blocks of the CP. The Doubletree is in a more scenic location--on the yacht marina downchannel from the pier area. It is a nice, clean, comfortable hotel. There is one good restaurant nearby, but the hotel will also shuttle you to other San Pedro restaurants (and to the pier) for free.

The "third choice", if there is one, would be the Best Western...It gets reasonably decent reviews--but it is more of a "motel" than a hotel...and the location is not great--on a very busy thoroughfare where the 110 Freeway dumps out onto the streets of San Pedro. There is only fast food nearby and it's a long walk or Uber ride to most nicer restaurants.

The Vagabond--across the street from the BW--is plagued by a long history of bad reviews. The Sunrise is right across from the port--but has even worse reviews than the Vagabond (questioning things such as cleanliness, pests, service, etc.)

There is the option of staying in Long Beach--on the other side of the harbor, about 6-8 miles away and requiring more transportation. There are several nice hotels there (Hyatt Regency, Hyatt Centric, Renaissance, Westin, Maya Doubletree, Hilton, Residence Inn Downtown) and many more restaurant choices plus some tourist attractions (Queen Mary, Aquarium of the Pacific)...so makes sense if you have a couple of days...BUT, if you're just there for the night before a cruise out of San Pedro, stay in San Pedro--at the CP or Doubletree. For dinner, try the San Pedro Brewing Company or, possibly the Green Onion or one of the other restaurants in the Downtown area near the CP...or the 22nd Street Landing near the Doubletree...

Good luck...

I just stayed at the Crown Plaza in San Pedro coming back from a cruise. It is close to the port. From my room I could see the port. There are restaurants within walking distance, one is just a 2 minute walk. There is also a restaurant in the hotel. Good for breakfast, you can order off menu or they have a buffet. They do have a shuttle to the port.

Thanks everyone for the info. Looks like we will be staying at the Double Tree. as far as transportation we will get a private service uber or lyft from the airport and do the DT shuttle to the ship. Thanks again for the help