Travel anxiety...anyone else? ;)

aharris0614

Oh gosh. All of a sudden I am having second thoughts on our upcoming (Nov) travel. Sort of. :')

We put off a SE Asia trip last year and re-scheduled for this year. Doing Hanoi and Halong Bay on our own, then an Azamara cruise from Singapore (Thailand, BKK and HCMC), then Siem Reap on our own.

I'm worried its going to be too much crammed into three weeks. I'm worried about missing work (even though its over Thanksgiving so its not 'really' three weeks out of the office, right?!) I'm worried about dongs and bahts and taxi scams (I've been doing my research). I'm worried about flying 16+ hours non-stop. Non-stop, people. That's a long time in one place. :o I think I am mostly worried about the city stays on our own...my husband wanted to visit Hanoi and spend extra time in HCMC (we are disembarking there), but he hates even going to NYC haha So even though I am planning some tours and day trips that still leaves a lot of DIY time. I mean, they don't make tours to take you to dinner and hold your hand to cross the street. Well, I guess technically they do...but you know what I mean.

I am having anxiety... Any hints on how to travel outside of your comfort zone?

Edited by aharris0614
spelling

. Any hints on how to travel outside of your comfort zone?

Alcohol?

I just noted this in another thread, but my husband and I actually spend time on vacation relaxing in our hotel room (or ship cabin/balcony) or by the pool. Even in a city we haven't visited before, where we have a million things we want to do - we do NOT run around and try to do everything. We make sure we're enjoying what we're doing. And if that means a nap/pool time for a couple hours in the afternoon, or stopping in the middle of a city to have a beer and watch the river traffic for a while, that's fine too.

Don't try to cram it all in. You won't, and you'll feel worse about it. Try to relax, try to enjoy what you're doing at the time. Take breaks when you need them. And try to have fun! The trip sounds wonderful!!! We did Azamara SIN-HKG in 2016 and had a fabulous time.

• Like 1

Alcohol?

YES!!! I knew I was missing something! Thanks for the great advice - all of it. Down time is an absolute necessity when we travel too, otherwise we just get overloaded on all the new sites and sounds and so on. Plus its exhausting! This trip seems different for some reason though...maybe because its so far. I catch myself trying to add in more and more because who know's if we will ever get back to that part of the world again? I'll stop adding things to my never-ending spreadsheet NOW haha

Yeah, that first super long flight is difficult! I had been working in China (and traveling there from the east coast of the US in coach...) and finally managed to drag my husband there on one of my work trips and we had a great time - he was really anxious ahead of time but enjoyed himself. Not the flying. That still sux. When I flew with him, we booked an extra seat, and when we did our Azamara cruise, we used airline miles to book business class. So that helped him (I can sleep on a plane plus deal with jet lag better than my husband - I usually would prefer to save the money on the seat and get a nicer hotel or a massage - that's one of our constant travel arguments ;-)

We find travel in SE Asia to be very easy. We spent four of the last five winters in Thailand and/or Vietnam, Cambodia, Malaysia etc. Our first trip was done on a whim. Thailand was on our bucket list. Another trip fell through so we booked a flight and left ten days later.

We spent a month in Vietnam. Independent travel from Phu Quak in the south to Hanoi in the north. People were great. No issue with understanding currency etc. Cambodia is less developed but a snap for currency. They use USD-this is what their ATM's spit out. Once we are in SE Asia we typically only make plans three or four days in advance. Air, land, and ferry travel is inexpensive. Food is wonderful. Just go with the flow and don't be afraid to step out of your comfort zone. We liked Thailand so much on the first visit that we keep on returning.

We are biased.....our advice would be to go for it. As for english speakers. No issue. Internet.....Vietnam and Thailand had better, more publicly accessible internet than in the US. As one Vietnamese guide told us....if they don't have good internet they will not be able to remain in business.

Edited by iancal

We find travel in SE Asia to be very easy. We spent four of the last five winters in Thailand and/or Vietnam, Cambodia, Malaysia etc. Our first trip was done on a whim. Thailand was on our bucket list. Another trip fell through so we booked a flight and left ten days later.

We spent a month in Vietnam. Independent travel from Phu Quak in the south to Hanoi in the north. People were great. No issue with understanding currency etc. Cambodia is less developed but a snap for currency. They use USD-this is what their ATM's spit out. Once we are in SE Asia we typically only make plans three or four days in advance. Air, land, and ferry travel is inexpensive. Food is wonderful. Just go with the flow and don't be afraid to step out of your comfort zone. We liked Thailand so much on the first visit that we keep on returning.

We are biased.....our advice would be to go for it. As for english speakers. No issue. Internet.....Vietnam and Thailand had better, more publicly accessible internet than in the US. As one Vietnamese guide told us....if they don't have good internet they will not be able to remain in business.

Thanks iancal - very reassuring. I enjoy reading your posts Asia posts, too, they are always full of great information.

Ann Marie

Yeah, that first super long flight is difficult! I had been working in China (and traveling there from the east coast of the US in coach...) and finally managed to drag my husband there on one of my work trips and we had a great time - he was really anxious ahead of time but enjoyed himself. Not the flying. That still sux. When I flew with him, we booked an extra seat, and when we did our Azamara cruise, we used airline miles to book business class. So that helped him (I can sleep on a plane plus deal with jet lag better than my husband - I usually would prefer to save the money on the seat and get a nicer hotel or a massage - that's one of our constant travel arguments ;-)

Using miles for our trip, too :)

We have done an incredible amount of air travel on the likes of Air Asia, Jetstar, etc over the years.. The prices are sometimes difficult to comprehend. Two years ago we did a one way from Saigon to DaLat for $25 AUD each- all in. Mind you, to get that fare we left a half day earlier than planned. The other option was a 12 hour bus ride for $15. We flew from Phuket, through Bangkok DMM, to Siem Reap for $65USD. When your flight is from a mainland to an island flight options will often include the flight, transfer to a ferry, and then minivan transfer to your hotel.

I sometimes get apprehensive, too, but my love of visiting new places is greater than my worries about experiencing problems. I think the key is being prepared. Learn as much as possible about the places you will be visiting. Study information about local travel options. Find out about the currency exchange rates for those places that don't take US dollars so you will know how much to expect to be charged and not get over charged. Learn how to say some important words in the language of the countries you will be visiting. I have done two extremely long flights in my life to catch cruises in Japan and Australia. It is long, but you get through it. Bring a book you are really excited about reading to help pass the time. Wear comfortable clothes so hopefully you can get some sleep. And on those long flights, they usually bring around meals and snacks, so that also helps to pass the time.

I am a nervous wreck when I can't read the street signs. But we found that our hotels offered day and half day excursions or had a small travel agency in their lobby. We used this service in Bangkok, but also saw it in Luang Prabang. That was a good option in addition to pre-booking excursions. One afternoon, we walked around in Hanoi and in Saigon, both hotels were smack downtown. Good advice to have some downtime. In Hanoi, at the hotel pool and at a lake to watch people.

I am a nervous wreck when I can't read the street signs. But we found that our hotels offered day and half day excursions or had a small travel agency in their lobby. We used this service in Bangkok, but also saw it in Luang Prabang. That was a good option in addition to pre-booking excursions. One afternoon, we walked around in Hanoi and in Saigon, both hotels were smack downtown. Good advice to have some downtime. In Hanoi, at the hotel pool and at a lake to watch people.

Our hotel is in the Old Quarter in Hanoi, but in a quiet area (if there is such a thing). Also very near the lake, so I am looking forward to that. Where did you stay in HCMC?

I sometimes get apprehensive, too, but my love of visiting new places is greater than my worries about experiencing problems. I think the key is being prepared. Learn as much as possible about the places you will be visiting. Study information about local travel options. Find out about the currency exchange rates for those places that don't take US dollars so you will know how much to expect to be charged and not get over charged. Learn how to say some important words in the language of the countries you will be visiting. I have done two extremely long flights in my life to catch cruises in Japan and Australia. It is long, but you get through it. Bring a book you are really excited about reading to help pass the time. Wear comfortable clothes so hopefully you can get some sleep. And on those long flights, they usually bring around meals and snacks, so that also helps to pass the time.

Just got my Bangkok Top 10 and Vietnam/Angkor guides in the mail today!

Your choice of airlines & flight might be limited when using miles to fly, but if you can - move up to at least the Economy Plus section in coach, obviously, flying B class or in J is preferred, for extra legroom & recline ... wider seat width & better padding - for those 15 or 16 hour non-stops. Be sure to get up & walk around to exercise, stretch the body to enhance circulation and plenty of non-alcohol, non-caffeine hydration. Carbonated soda aren't good either as the gas can result in bloated stomach inside a pressurized 35,000 ft. aircraft cabin. Juice & water are good and use a anti-jetlag program to prepare for the time zone changes, body clock will be upside down and typically take 2 to 3 days to adjust (if not longer) & worst flying east ... coming home.

If you use a smartphone/iPhone, consider using Google Translate with its off-line (preloaded) language modules, it can come in handy ... sometimes.

Travel smartly by blending in as much as possible, beware of surroundings and nothing flashy - "foreigners" can't disguise the looks of being locals, but ... make the efforts anyway & safeguard your valuable belongings (leave the Rolexes & LV handbag at home). You will be fine, hundreds of thousands travel & visit SE Asia as tourists with plenty of wonderful stories to share and tell friends & families.

We stayed in Hanoi for four nights. Our hotel was in the old quarter. Two blocks from the lake and beside the 'show street. We walked around the lake every night. Taxis are very inexpensive. Be prepared for constant noise from the street. The garbage pickup trucks, for instance, play loud music to let people know they are picking up. Try some of small restaurants in the back alleys.

If we go back we would stay in the same area.

Where did you stay in HCMC?

We stayed in the Sheraton downtown (in case there is another one). That was a guided Mekong cruise tour which started in HCMC and gave us free time to do our own thing in the beginning. We started in Hanoi with this tour company (APT) where we also had some free time.

Edited by Floridiana

We stayed at the Cap Town Hotel in Saigon for three nights. It was a good place to stay.

We started in the south in Phu Quoc (island), then flew to Can Tho and did a two day home stay/tour in a village. Then by bus to Saigon.

Thailand is super nice. I've been there like 8 times now? It's a great country, great food and great people. Just beaware that tuktuk / taxis are super pricey, so you need to negotiate ahead of time. There are taxis you can hire via FB or other apps. I used a guy who was very good. (I've never cruised there btw. I just flew into Chiang Mai and Phuket, etc.) FYI - Nov is when Thailand goes into its high season for tourism.

Also I wouldn't use credit card or ATM in Thailand unless there's no service charge. You can exchange money (cash) easily by going to any money exchange places or banks. They're EVERYWHERE. And many of them in touristy areas are open 24/7.

Oh gosh. All of a sudden I am having second thoughts on our upcoming (Nov) travel. Sort of. :')

We put off a SE Asia trip last year and re-scheduled for this year. Doing Hanoi and Halong Bay on our own, then an Azamara cruise from Singapore (Thailand, BKK and HCMC), then Siem Reap on our own.

I'm worried its going to be too much crammed into three weeks. I'm worried about missing work (even though its over Thanksgiving so its not 'really' three weeks out of the office, right?!) I'm worried about dongs and bahts and taxi scams (I've been doing my research). I'm worried about flying 16+ hours non-stop. Non-stop, people. That's a long time in one place. :o I think I am mostly worried about the city stays on our own...my husband wanted to visit Hanoi and spend extra time in HCMC (we are disembarking there), but he hates even going to NYC haha So even though I am planning some tours and day trips that still leaves a lot of DIY time. I mean, they don't make tours to take you to dinner and hold your hand to cross the street. Well, I guess technically they do...but you know what I mean.

I am having anxiety... Any hints on how to travel outside of your comfort zone?

I don't mean to be flip. But you only gain confidence in what you are doing by doing it. The Asian cities are a delight to visit; the people are helpful, the prices are reasonable, and you will love it. English is widely spoken. Ask for directions, and you will be helped. Enjoy!