Menu for the Evening Meal in the Ocean View Cafe

bookitdanno

Is it possible to know ahead of time what will be on the menu for the OVC for Dinner?

Are there certain stations that are always available and others that rotate?

Have always eaten in MDR, but would like to at least explore the possibility of using the OVC as an alternative.

Thanks in advance for all your help.

George

Edited by bookitdanno
spelling

On our last cruise on the Eclipse we noticed that they seemed to have a theme most nights - Chinese, Norwegian, Portuguese are 3 that come to mind (It was a European Cruise). The regular buffet was still available if you wanted it as well.

the daily program, there will be a note on the theme at the Oceanview Cafe for that night. Some have included Greek, British, Italian, Jamaican, Mexican, etc. Then there are the usual steaks, pork chops, chicken and fish which are grilled. Usually, there is Indian and Mexican food. You also have the salad bar, pasta and pizza station.

We have never eaten dinner in the OVC....and on some nights (MDR menus), we probably should consider the OVC. Our problem is admitedly psychological....We like dinner to be a little nicer than lunch. Translated.....Wouldn't it be nice if Celebrity had a section of the OVC set up with table cloths silverware and glasses....and just let us go to the buffet area to get food......vs find your own table, get your own water/soda/? etc.

Just a thought on how Celebrity could improve their offering at minimal cost.....

We have never eaten dinner in the OVC....and on some nights (MDR menus), we probably should consider the OVC. Our problem is admitedly psychological....We like dinner to be a little nicer than lunch. Translated.....Wouldn't it be nice if Celebrity had a section of the OVC set up with table cloths silverware and glasses....and just let us go to the buffet area to get food......vs find your own table, get your own water/soda/? etc.

Just a thought on how Celebrity could improve their offering at minimal cost.....

We remember when you could reserve a table at the buffet area on certain nights..table cloths, served meal by trainees. .it was great. Less dressy than MDR, quicker service and very nice. Bringing that back could help with training of dining staff...much needed these days!

On the past Eclipse cruise they have theme nights, where one station has the specials for the night

Doner Kebab / Gyro Station

Gourmet Burger Station

Waffle Corner

Crepe Corner

Panini station

Burrito Corner

Coconut Corner

Meatballs & Bruschetta

Dosa corner

Tapas corner

Ceviche station

BBQ Beef Brisket

Live Curry Station

Look in your Celebrity Today the special of the day

We tend to use it once or twice on a 14 night cruise in the evening - usually when when we've had a couple of long days touring and are due back late and just want a lazy night or when the menu (posted earlier) indicates it's a bit duff tonight in the MDR ( certainly on that rubbish TV chef themed night they used to do). It's also nice to have a break from the 8-10 seating tables we usually opt for in the MDR.

On a lovely summer's night in the Med as the sun hits that Magic Hour,the relative peace and quiet of the Ocean View cafe in the evening is really quite pleasant.

We remember when you could reserve a table at the buffet area on certain nights..table cloths, served meal by trainees. .it was great. Less dressy than MDR, quicker service and very nice. Bringing that back could help with training of dining staff...much needed these days!

I remember those days too. I think the charge was $2/pp? I wish they would bring it back.

Yup, $2 pp and a different menu than the MDR, less courses, great after a heavy day on land.

We have never eaten dinner in the OVC....and on some nights (MDR menus), we probably should consider the OVC. Our problem is admittedly psychological....We like dinner to be a little nicer than lunch. Translated.....Wouldn't it be nice if Celebrity had a section of the OVC set up with table cloths silverware and glasses....and just let us go to the buffet area to get food......vs find your own table, get your own water/soda/? etc.

On our last cruise on the Eclipse, we found we could not eat in the MDR after eating there for 3 nights. I have been strongly criticized by some for saying that. But that is what happened to us. The food was just not edible for us. Our waitress was rude and had a big time attitude. Anyway, this topic is about the OVC.

We ate in OVC for 11 nights. Absolutely delicious. They made fresh fish, steaks and there was always variety.

On previous cruises, I even had fillet mignon grilled there and there was a large variety in meats. But this time there was only one kind of steak, New York strip. But still really delicious.

If I had known the quality of food in MDR would be so poor, I would have brought far less clothing for dinner.

Yes, I agree, food is Very subjective. I am sure there were people on our cruise who found the MDR just amazing. I can only tell you my take on it.

I did have to tell the grill chef in OVC to use different utensils when handling raw and cooked meats and chicken. She was using the same utensil to serve the cooked meats that she just used to place raw chicken on the grill.

We like to eat dinner in the OVC on nights when we are not in the mood for yet another long, drawn out meal and don't want to start changing clothes.

We gather up whatever we want and if the weather is nice, take it outside to eat on the open back deck.

But even if the weather doesn't cooperate, the OVC is not crowded or noisy at night, and it is easy to find a nice quiet table by a window.

We especially like to do that when we are cruising through a scenic area, or on a moonlit starry night, as an alternative to dinner on our balcony (which we also enjoy).

For dessert, we often wind up at the ice cream station, or at Cafe Al Bacio.

Dining in the OVC was more pleasant and convenient when they used to provide trays so you could gather your meal, then sit down and eat it, without needing to keep running back and forth.

They eliminated the trays as one of the cutbacks made a few years ago.

We also miss the section of the OVC where you could sit down and be served, which was also eliminated.

On our last cruise on the Eclipse, we found we could not eat in the MDR after eating there for 3 nights. I have been strongly criticized by some for saying that. But that is what happened to us. The food was just not edible for us. Our waitress was rude and had a big time attitude. Anyway, this topic is about the OVC.

We ate in OVC for 11 nights. Absolutely delicious. They made fresh fish, steaks and there was always variety.

On previous cruises, I even had fillet mignon grilled there and there was a large variety in meats. But this time there was only one kind of steak, New York strip. But still really delicious.

If I had known the quality of food in MDR would be so poor, I would have brought far less clothing for dinner.

Yes, I agree, food is Very subjective. I am sure there were people on our cruise who found the MDR just amazing. I can only tell you my take on it.

I did have to tell the grill chef in OVC to use different utensils when handling raw and cooked meats and chicken. She was using the same utensil to serve the cooked meats that she just used to place raw chicken on the grill.

Can’t you let it rest. You have your opinion and I who have sailed on Celebrity have mine. Both are conflicting.

Enjoy the other cruise lines you are going to travel on. I will enjoy the transatlantic that I leave on in two days.

Can’t you let it rest. You have your opinion and I who have sailed on Celebrity have mine. Both are conflicting.

Enjoy the other cruise lines you are going to travel on. I will enjoy the transatlantic that I leave on in two days.

I think it is being repeated and reinforced because not enough people have read or understand what the issue really was/is?

:eek:

bon voyage

Amen to that!

Sometimes we skip the MDR because we are tired, don't feel like dressing up or we are not so hungry. One night, the center island of the buffet was kid/comfort food. Hamburgers, hotdogs, mac'n cheese, chicken tenders and that kind of stuff. We just wanted a snack and that was just right.

But a crepe station? I hope they have this on our next cruise. gerelmx, I may be strolling through the buffet more often.

Amen to that!

Sometimes we skip the MDR because we are tired, don't feel like dressing up or we are not so hungry. One night, the center island of the buffet was kid/comfort food. Hamburgers, hotdogs, mac'n cheese, chicken tenders and that kind of stuff. We just wanted a snack and that was just right.

But a crepe station? I hope they have this on our next cruise. gerelmx, I may be strolling through the buffet more often.

Crepes with bunch of fillings and toppings. Blueberries, strawberries, bananas, nutella, vanilla custard/pastry cream, whipped cream, chocolate sauce, I'm sure I'm missing a few things. YUM

We also miss the section of the OVC where you could sit down and be served, which was also eliminated.

How long ago was that? And were the other posts serious about there being a $2 charge at one point?

Crepes with bunch of fillings and toppings. Blueberries, strawberries, bananas, nutella, vanilla custard/pastry cream, whipped cream, chocolate sauce, I'm sure I'm missing a few things. YUM

I have to look for this - sounds wonderfull!

I just recently realized that there is afternoon tea in the OCV, with wonderful scones and whipped cream and jam!

Personally we enjoy the OVC for dinner over the MDR. As a vegetarian, I found the menu options in the MDR quite limited. We tend to do one night in the MDR, 2 nights in a specialty restaurant and the rest in the OVC. Each to their own.

We had a similar experience on Connie in 2012, which turned out to be our last Celebrity cruise

We prefer to eat in the OVC in the evening, we don't want to sit for a long time in the dining room and prefer to have a wider choice, more informal and have never had a problem finding something we fancy. I have always found the fish choice to be particularly good in the OVC, love that you can build your own salad and also they have a varied 'spice' style food from different cuisines.

The best advantage to OVC for dinner is that it doesn’t take two or more hours! I wish they would speed it up a little in the MDR!

On those many occasions that we've met others whose company we enjoy at dinner, one of our most favorite things about cruising are those long dinners.

I admit the alcohol package helps. :o

We had a similar experience on Connie in 2012, which turned out to be our last Celebrity cruise

As someone who has not sailed Celebrity in the past 6 years, maybe things have changed to the positive between now and your lousy experience then??? Just saying.