Somewhat live Anthem of the Seas Spring Break 4/14/18-4/21-18

Just woke up after Day 1 yesterday and wanted to start my review so I don’t forget anything! Welcome to my little review of our Spring Break vacation in Anthem.

Hubby and I are in our early 40s from CT. We are with our 4 children, ages 15,13,9, and 7. We are in 11510 and 11508 connecting ocean view at the front of the ship.

Rooms- HUGE!! 11510 is a huge corner room with an awesome porthole window. It’s plenty big enough for the 4 kids. 11508 is also a good size with a nice big porthole as well. You can feel a good amount of movement here at the front but it’s a gentle rocking and not making us sick. The connecting hallway is pretty awesome and gives us even more room to spread out. Our room steward Berata is very nice and we like him so far!

ebcc4e97365e5e16f3b356ca45f1768a.jpg

d936cea375c3f37da67de8e8f25d4c7a.jpg

Embarkation- got to the port about 1015 and it was busy already. Lots of people leaving still so I think that added to the chaos a little. Dropped luggage and parked. About 5 minutes in line through security. They took my sons power strip. Then another 5 minutes in line to check in. While in line to check in they announced boarding. We were near the suite access lounge so they told us to go in that way which was nice. Slow moving to get in on the gangway.

Once on we spent about 30-45 minutes at the box office theatre trying to change reservations for ifly. Once we took care of that we headed to the Windjammer for lunch. Had a nice lunch.

Next we rode the bumper cars. About 15 minutes in line waiting, not too bad. They were a ton of fun. We laughed a lot. Headed to our room and checked it out. Stopped by dining to request window seat.

We went to muster drill and sat through the videos and then headed up to sail away.

Next up we had Ifly- what a fun and awesome experience. I highly recommend it. A little tip- break your group into 2. We did this so that my husband could record and photo myself and my oldest while we did it and then we recorded him and the younger kids while they did it. It made the whole experience 2 hours doing it back to back sessions but it was worth it for the photos and videos. The youngest was scared and backed out. Staff told us if he changes his mind and decides to do it later in cruise to come find him and he’ll get him in.

474ffa348b87eaa0068efa95268ffaf9.jpg

Dinner was next. I had to remind them at check in of the window request. They honored it and we have a great table for the week in American Icon. Our wait staff was awesome. I had the prime rib and it was yummy. But of a rowdy party near us. I’m all for fun but one of these guys had way too much and was getting mad at someone in his group. Also barely anyone dressed nicely. Everyone dressed for the windjammer but eating in dining room. I guess I’m a little old fashioned and like to follow the guidelines.

After dinner we walked around a little and then dropped the 2 youngest at kids club. Glad we got there early. This is a kid heavy cruise with all of the northeast on break. I am sure they hit the limit and turned people away. Line was long as we left from dropping off.

Hubby and I went to the welcome aboard show. Teens took off. Cleo is the cruise director and she seems funny. The comedian Rondell Sheridan is funny. Looking forward to his whole show.

Picked up the kids and hit bed. Didn’t sleep the night before the cruise due to excitement so we turned in early.

Please let me know if you have questions and I’ll try to answer at next update.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks for doing a live thread on Anthem - looking forward to the rest of it!

We are on her for the New Years cruise and have the same category corner cabin booked (9110). We are excited for all the extra space! Glad to hear the movement isn't all that bad.

I would interested to hear if your kids will be participating in any of the teen club activities. My daughter turns 14 on the cruise and my son will be three weeks shy of 12 (we are hoping they let him in the teen club to be with his sister).

Is this the typical week for spring break in CT? Where I am schools either do the week before or the week after Easter. I would have thought this might have been a lighter week for school breaks.

Yes it is. Also Massachusetts and Rhode Island.

Thanks for doing a live thread on Anthem - looking forward to the rest of it!

We are on her for the New Years cruise and have the same category corner cabin booked (9110). We are excited for all the extra space! Glad to hear the movement isn't all that bad.

I would interested to hear if your kids will be participating in any of the teen club activities. My daughter turns 14 on the cruise and my son will be three weeks shy of 12 (we are hoping they let him in the teen club to be with his sister).

Yes! They will! I’ll be sure to update!

Day 2 morning- my husband and 13 year old did the Try Dive program and enjoyed it. My husband is a volunteer search and rescue diver and my 13 year old has been wanting to learn to scuba dive so this was a good way for him to try it before we invested in a full program.

We had breakfast in the windjammer and then tried to head to Northstar. It was too windy so they have rescheduled us to Day 6. So we headed to the indoor pool. The teens took off to hang out and do whatever. My husband and I and the little ones swam in the indoor pool. Water was cool and it was pretty crowded. Only stayed an hour. Most chairs occupied and not just towel covered but we were able to get chairs near the pool at 10am. Lucked out.

Went back to the room and changed and relaxed a little and now having lunch. We stopped by Grande and looked at the menu but nothing the little ones would eat and no kids menu so we ended up at the windjammer again. The chili is pretty good. I had a little yesterday and today with lunch. Sugar free lemon cookies are also yummy.

Captain has warned of rough seas and rockiness. Told people to take their medicine if prone to sickness. We seem to be doing ok so far but can feel the boat rocking.

we got off yesterday. Was a great week, however, this was our 27th cruise and was the worst debarkation we have ever seen and we wee on Anthem last year in March. There were only 5 customs agents working the windows, and one of those was only taking people who used porters so they didn't have to wait in line. The ship made several announcements that the gangway was closed due to congestion in the terminal.

Our luggage was #27 and we were "scheduled" to be off at 7:50. At the time our number was called, the debarkation line for the gangway was back to Two Seventy and lopped back around to Jamie's. We did not get off the ship until almost 945am and through customs until another half hour later.

A really bad taste in our mouth at the end of an otherwise great trip. I know that the customs agents are the responsibility of the port authority and not RCCL but they did not do a great job controlling the chaos on the ship. Hoping this was a one time issue as we would like to sail her again but more problems like this at customs.

Looking forward to your reviews!

we got off yesterday. Was a great week, however, this was our 27th cruise and was the worst debarkation we have ever seen and we wee on Anthem last year in March. There were only 5 customs agents working the windows, and one of those was only taking people who used porters so they didn't have to wait in line. The ship made several announcements that the gangway was closed due to congestion in the terminal.

Our luggage was #27 and we were "scheduled" to be off at 7:50. At the time our number was called, the debarkation line for the gangway was back to Two Seventy and lopped back around to Jamie's. We did not get off the ship until almost 945am and through customs until another half hour later.

A really bad taste in our mouth at the end of an otherwise great trip. I know that the customs agents are the responsibility of the port authority and not RCCL but they did not do a great job controlling the chaos on the ship. Hoping this was a one time issue as we would like to sail her again but more problems like this at customs.

Looking forward to your reviews!

totally agree with yesterday's chaos....one didnt know what the other was doing. lots of folks around us on first carry off that couldn't find sea pass to get off or passport etc..My hubby's card didnt work. took them quite a few minutes to key him in which i thought was strange. then our family member used her capitol one card for on board purchases...notified all paid...goes to get off...nope you owe money...goes back to guest services to which she is in line with several hundred people. Finally several hours later I get a security guard to get a guest supervisor for me. This great person took a pic of my cc and went right up and solved the issue and brought her right down to the front of the line which now only had two custom agents and then though the doors to us. Capitol One wouldn't run the charge again as royal had put 10 holds on her card for 10 purchases and had authorization numbers for her to give to the desk...nah they didnt care...the chick supposedly went to a back room with the info and acted like nope not happening. well the guest relation supervisor handled it in a minute. I heard while on the phone with our family member people yelling and screaming. Many folks had drink packages and were charged for each drink. No one could solve the issue...just an off week apparently and many new crew members also.

Day 2 Afternoon- after lunch we decided to do A Royal Mystery- it was such a fun “who done it”. It was in 270 and we got together in groups and had to figure out puzzles and get new clues. Took a little over an hour. We had fun doing that.

Dropped the 2 youngest at kids club. Then hubby and I curled up in the Hershey kiss chair and read our books.

Ship rocked all afternoon and evening. Really rough seas. Hubby and 2 kids needed to put on sea bands.

2 teens spent time playing basketball. then watching TV. Tons of teens on the boat but they say the teen stuff in the living room is lame. No one really there (lots of groups on board so thinking the kids are already paired in groups). They say the staff is not engaged either and just sit there.

My 9 year old likes kids club on Freedom better. She’s having fun in kids club but doesn’t feel like the staff here are as fun or nice. And there is only 2 in there for 50 kids. On freedom there was 5 staff in there with 20 of them. Kids club is understaffed.

We decided to try the line dancing class after reading. Lots of fun. Though crowded doing it in the small area outside of Sorrentos on the royal esplanade. We really laughed a lot doing the electric slide, wobble, and more. Instructor was good and fun.

Next we got ready quickly and went to dinner for formal night. We had 5pm reservations. Beef tenderloin was good. Hubby says seafood linguine was ok but sauce kind of bland. Same staff was nice. We like Millicent a lot.

Apple pie is horrid. It’s cold. It’s gross. We love apple pie and wanted to gag.

The line for people without reservations was long and slow from what I saw. We had my time dining and had reservations so we were good but I felt bad for folks without.

We did some formal pics after dinner and then took the younger ones to kids club.

Decided to go to La Patisserie to get a dessert since apple pie was so bad. Not much of a selection. Most of the Ben and Jerry’s flavors on menu they don’t have in stock. I got a cupcake and it was kind of dry.

Decided to go up to pool deck as the ship is seriously rocking. Outside pool was fairly quiet. A few people watching Thor. Spray from pool was crazy hitting us. Inside pool looked fun. A serious wave pool due to rough seas. Kids having fun up there. Solarium pretty quiet but there were kids running around with no sign of staff.

We swung by the Schooner and watched Matt Yees adult sing along. He was fun. good jokes and songs. Headed to pick up the young ones at 10 and brought them back to room to put them to bed. Teens returned from playing more basketball to watch TV and the younger ones.

We headed back out and watched more Matt yee. Then headed to late night comedy with Rondell Sheridan. We laughed a lot. He was pretty funny.

Headed to bed for the night. I tried to read a little but ended up feeling nauseous due to the rough seas.

DW and I were in the area and decided to stop by and watch you guys launch this past Saturday. It was a beautiful day for a sail. We can't wait until our sail in September.

Attached is a pic of the ship from the small park at Cape Liberty.

Have fun!

AnthemoftheSeasreduced.jpg.8437bf8e76ff1508ed0fd1ed128aea69.jpg

Day 3- had breakfast and then hit the bumper cars. The line was long halfway around the rink. But there were a lot of cars being used and it went quickly. About a 15-20 minute wait. We tried to do the rock wall but it was closed due to wind. Brought the youngest 2 to the dreamworks party but they thought it was boring so we left and sat at sorrentos talking and snacking. Then we got in line to get off the boat. Thankfully we discovered that on our own as our excursion tickets said to just meet on the pier.

We took the bus to Kennedy. Took about 30 minutes and no traffic despite rocket launch schedule. We liked Kennedy. It was busy but kids found it interesting. About 4pm they scrubbed the launch and park started to clear out. We left at 6 and was back on the boat around 645.

We headed straight to dinner. I had to ask for a manager to see if our table we had been sitting at was available. I knew no one was at it. The hostess told me no someone was sitting there but there was not. After I got a manager we got our table. Dinner was ok. Service is great. Food is eh. I had lasagna al forno. Hubby said beef short ribs were ok. daughter was not impressed by the steak they gave her. At 9 she knew it was dry and tough. Ha.

After dinner we dropped the kids at kids club and headed to the windjammer. Dinner had been blah and tonight was Jamaican food in the WJ so we went up there and had some awesome food. Oxtails, plantains, rice and beans, beef patties. Not sure why we bothered with the MDR. My 13 yr old tried to do rider and was told his wow band was not enough and he needed his sea pass card. Apparently if you loose your card and have it replaced you need to have your wow band redone. We were not told this when getting the new card so spent another stint in the guest services. We tried to go see The Gift. Last night it had been cancelled due to rough winds and had been told it would be tonight. A ton of us were outside of the royal theatre at 845 standing around. No show. Went to guest services again- they say we are all wrong (we all apparently misheard the announcement) and it’s tomorrow night. starting to become frustrated with many issues of wrong or incomplete info from staff. I researched this cruise for a year and they are confusing me left and right.

Stopped by to see some Matt Yee again but no seats. decided to pick up the kids and then turn in and read my book.

Day 4- got up and got ready for Coco Cay. Went to breakfast. We were supposed to be on the first tender since hubby was scuba diving. As we left breakfast the Captain announces conditions mean we cannot tender. There was not a wave in sight but knew this was possible. He says we will be in Nassau around noon to dock. We grab some deck chairs and swim for a while then head to flow rider. we have a lot of fun boogie boarding and then change to dry stuff and try to decide what we are going to do in Nassau today. We hit Johnny rockets for lunch and decide to just get off the boat and walk around. We have Atlantis tomorrow already and don’t want to spend a lot. We are told the beaches are just ok and no where to snorkel by the dive instructor. We ended up getting off and taking a horse and buggy ride around town. It’s pretty run down and no where we want to see so we get right back on the boat to hang out.

Hey there, we are a family of 4 on the same ship, and I have to agree with a lot of your comments, particularly about the general disorganization and lack of information on the ship. My husband and I were probably one of the families you saw milling around the Royal Theatre last night....I KNOW the cruise director said the Gift was rescheduled for Monday night!

Another story...this morning I dropped my soda cup and broke the top. No biggie, I went to the Brass and Brock and asked if they had a replacement. They were out at that bar, and I was sent up to the pool deck, who sent me to the Windjammer, who told me to go back down to another bar. I finally tracked one down in the Solarium. I was really annoyed that no one seemed to know where anything was.

We were probably on the same tour going to KSC too. Too bad about the launch, but the bright side was no horrible traffic going back. Also too bad about Cocokay. I had booked parasailing and was really looking forward to it. We ended up just walking to Junkanoo beach and hanging out.