Shoes for formal nights

We are going on our 1st cruises in June (Eastern Med with MSC and Western Med with RCI) and i need help with planning what shoes to take. Both cruises are 7 nights with 4 nights in Venice and 5 nights in Rome completing our trip. I will have no need for heels or nice shoes for the trip as i will have my 2 and 5 yr olds to chase after. What type of footwear do people pack for formal nights on the boats? Will i just need to suck it up and bring a pair of nice shoes for these nights?

I don't wear heels due to my height (even on land) so all of my formal occasions have been dressy pointy flats (including my wedding). This also means I can dance all night. :)

I go for a long lightweight floaty dress as cocktail dresses and flats look odd and it's all easy to pack.I have done this on all our cruises which have mostly been in Europe and never looked or felt out of place.

:

171a8c3f84bb8e0cdf711a83eac4d00d.jpg

teal-dress-FB-GL1524-a.jpg

I wore black walking sneakers the last time I wore a tux on a ship. I didn't want to pack those shiny patent leather shoes I used at home. After dinner, I won $2,500 on a quarter slot and the picture shows me holding 25 $100 bills in front of the slot machine and no one has commented on my shoe choice.

I can't believe that this person doesn't know what shoes to take on a cruise.

How on earth do they survive making everyday decisions.

That was so snarky I had to double check that I hadn’t logged into the Rick Steves travel forum.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Flats are fine as long as you can find comfortable ones. I have trouble with this, most are so hard and have no support, I find them to be less comfortable than some 2" wedges I have that are very comfortable. And I have looked hard for nice, comfortable black flats that fit me; foot issues, high arch.

My going-in-to-dinner shoes have evolved over the years. Or possibly devolved. I've gone from heels to ballet flats to my current pick of Merrell Jungle Mocs. These are black suede, they have a supportive footbed, and they work with dressy slacks outfits. I think I'll stick with these.

My going-in-to-dinner shoes have evolved over the years. Or possibly devolved. I've gone from heels to ballet flats to my current pick of Merrell Jungle Mocs. These are black suede, they have a supportive footbed, and they work with dressy slacks outfits. I think I'll stick with these.

I love Jungle Mocs! Very comfortable, but no good with dresses, LOL.

I must admit, I do like a gal in a nice pair of high-heels.

That said, the box for my tux shoes takes a depressing amount of space in my luggage. And I'm not willing to transport them without the box on account of they'll get crushed. And I'm not about to not take them because who wears a tux with street shoes (or worse!)?

Flats are fine as long as you can find comfortable ones. I have trouble with this, most are so hard and have no support, I find them to be less comfortable than some 2" wedges I have that are very comfortable. And I have looked hard for nice, comfortable black flats that fit me; foot issues, high arch.

I've found two shoe designers that work with my high arches for flats, Gianni Bini and Sam Edelman. I will say that they aren't cheap, but I'm on year three with the GB flats. Well worth the money.

I've found two shoe designers that work with my high arches for flats, Gianni Bini and Sam Edelman. I will say that they aren't cheap, but I'm on year three with the GB flats. Well worth the money.

I'll check them out,but may be a problem since I am a long way from any city. Buying clothes or shoes online is so iffy as to fit; hate sending things back.

I don't see why more flats aren't made with decent cushioning and arch supports; couldn't they have that and still look nice? Of course I know there are some, but I'd probably have to drive 2.5 hours to try any on.

I'll check them out,but may be a problem since I am a long way from any city. Buying clothes or shoes online is so iffy as to fit; hate sending things back.

I don't see why more flats aren't made with decent cushioning and arch supports; couldn't they have that and still look nice? Of course I know there are some, but I'd probably have to drive 2.5 hours to try any on.

Zappos is great for shoe shopping on line. They have free shipping both ways. I like their customer service. The reviews are usually filled with many comments regarding the shoe. Nordstrom is another good company that offers free shipping both ways. I don't have much here either for shoes.

Zappos is great for shoe shopping on line. They have free shipping both ways. I like their customer service. The reviews are usually filled with many comments regarding the shoe. Nordstrom is another good company that offers free shipping both ways. I don't have much here either for shoes.

Thanks. I have looked at the Zappo site before. I just normally have to try on many shoes before I find ones that fit right and still look decent. Just lazy when it comes to returning things, I guess.

We wear black slacks and pretty tops, no dresses.

I’ve worn ballet flats or croc sandals (the ones with the metallic circle on top). Mom wears a pair of black Merrill slides with black socks, at a quick glance you can’t see that they’re athletic sandals.

Another option is simply to skip Formal night in the MDR.

https://www.crocs.com/p/womens-sanrah-hammered-metallic-sandals/205137.html?cgid=women-collections-sanrah&cid=13S#start=2

Edited by SadieN

I must admit, I do like a gal in a nice pair of high-heels.

That said, the box for my tux shoes takes a depressing amount of space in my luggage. And I'm not willing to transport them without the box on account of they'll get crushed. And I'm not about to not take them because who wears a tux with street shoes (or worse!)?

I did - see my post above. BTW, that was the last time I wore a tux on a cruise (Celebrity Summit).