Which sled dog tour in Seward or Wasila?

Bossladyn

We will be in Seward for a few days after our cruise. Is a sled dog tour worth the time? My mom, daughter and son will love the dogs. Not too sure about my husband and my dad will be 85, so not sure about him. It seems like it would be a fun use of a couple hours, but wanted some thoughts on these tours. I was looking at either Turning Heads Kennel or Ididaride tours. But then read somewhere that the one in Wasila might be better although that one seems very short and does eat into our time getting to Denali. The reviews on Trip Advisor are basically the same for the two Seward ones.....

Thoughts?

Depends on what you want. If you mainly want to pet dogs and ride the cart, I would opt for the ride at the Iditarod Museum in Wasilla. (It's only $5, and I'm cheap!) It's not a tour, but Rayme and Barbara Redington are there to talk to you and answer questions. And when I've been there, they have had puppies with them. The Redingtons are mushing "royalty." Also, the museum can be an enjoyable way to spend a little time. It would be a good break on your way to Denali to stretch your legs. There are also kennel tours north of Wasilla, between Big Lake and Denali.

Depends on what you want. If you mainly want to pet dogs and ride the cart, I would opt for the ride at the Iditarod Museum in Wasilla. (It's only $5, and I'm cheap!) It's not a tour, but Rayme and Barbara Redington are there to talk to you and answer questions. And when I've been there, they have had puppies with them. The Redingtons are mushing "royalty." Also, the museum can be an enjoyable way to spend a little time. It would be a good break on your way to Denali to stretch your legs. There are also kennel tours north of Wasilla, between Big Lake and Denali.

It hasn't been $5.00 in years...but it is still cheap. think is is 10.00 now. Barb is a good friend. It is about 1/4 of a mile ride in a cart that can carry up to 6 people...more or less...with Raymie in the back of it driving the cart. There is a sled dog ride in Palmer which is not far also, but that goes to the Colony glacier via helicopter...It is run by Snowhook Kennel....Martin Buser had a sled dog demonstration in Big Lake...no cart rides, and Dream a Dream Dog Farm in Willow does an excellent cart ride and talk. Vern has run every 1,000 mile race there is and he is also the mayor of the Mat Su Burrough....Nice guy...

Remember, this isn't a heli dog sled tour gliding thru the snow; it's a wheeled cart going thru mud and gravel.

Since you're in Seward first, why not stop by Seavey's to see if it's something that even interests you. I have to admit that I was interested after seeing the sled dog demo at Denali, but quickly lost interest when I went to a commercial vendor.