MSC Seaside Payment Method

ruff4cruzn

I’m will be taking my first MSC cruise soon. In reviewing the payment methods, it states we need PIN number for credit cards. Is that accurate? I totally understand needing it for debit cards. I have never needed a PIN number for my credit card on other cruise lines.

I’m will be taking my first MSC cruise soon. In reviewing the payment methods, it states we need PIN number for credit cards. Is that accurate? I totally understand needing it for debit cards. I have never needed a PIN number for my credit card on other cruise lines.

I haven’t been on MSC yet either, so maybe someone else can confirm or clarify but... I thought that maybe YOU create a pin # when you set up your onboard account. I think the pin # is for using your key card on the ship. But i’m not sure [emoji848]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It;s a european thing.

I am from the UK, we have used chip and pin for years and years and like an idiot I just got caught out by this onboard the Meraviglia. I tried to register my credit card and it asked for the pin. Which would be fine, except I have no idea what it is! I never use my CC in a shop. The other times we've cruised they just take the card when you check in. I had to use my debit card in the end, which worked out ok as they don't put a big hold on it. There is also a swipe function on the machine for cards that don't use chip and pin.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Forums mobile app

Your experience squishthewhsle is helpful as I am from the UK and was unsure which way to go. Whilst I have a couple of Credit Cards I very rarely use them and would have to specially refresh my memory of the PIN numbers. As I have already prepaid for excursions, internet, wine and water plus put enough on board credit on to cover service charge and a few drinks I was thinking of using my Debit Card rather than a Credit Card but was worrying about whether they would put such a large hold against my card that routine Direct Debits might not get paid. When you say that they did not put a large hold against your Debit Card can you remember how much it was.

Your experience squishthewhsle is helpful as I am from the UK and was unsure which way to go. Whilst I have a couple of Credit Cards I very rarely use them and would have to specially refresh my memory of the PIN numbers. As I have already prepaid for excursions, internet, wine and water plus put enough on board credit on to cover service charge and a few drinks I was thinking of using my Debit Card rather than a Credit Card but was worrying about whether they would put such a large hold against my card that routine Direct Debits might not get paid. When you say that they did not put a large hold against your Debit Card can you remember how much it was.
When you first register your debit card it gives you an option of amounts to authorise, in multiples of €100. You can just do €100, and if your balance exceeds that they won't cut your cruise card off. At the end of the cruise they will give you a bill showing your balance and if you owe more than the initial deposit just use the kiosk again to pay it off- it will come up with the exact amount.

The initial €100 does debit from your account immediately so that's worth keeping in mind. Its a deposit more than a hold.

If you spend less than your deposit and they owe you, you must queue at guest services for a refund in cash which will be in €. Not ideal so spend at least the initial €100 on board! Not difficult if you have the service charge to pay every day. If I had any excess I'd probably have just spent it in the chocolate shop rather than join the endless queue at guest services lol.

When you first register your debit card it gives you an option of amounts to authorise, in multiples of €100. You can just do €100, and if your balance exceeds that they won't cut your cruise card off. At the end of the cruise they will give you a bill showing your balance and if you owe more than the initial deposit just use the kiosk again to pay it off- it will come up with the exact amount.

The initial €100 does debit from your account immediately so that's worth keeping in mind. Its a deposit more than a hold.

If you spend less than your deposit and they owe you, you must queue at guest services for a refund in cash which will be in €. Not ideal so spend at least the initial €100 on board! Not difficult if you have the service charge to pay every day. If I had any excess I'd probably have just spent it in the chocolate shop rather than join the endless queue at guest services lol.

Hi

Do you mean when you 1st register the DC at home or on the cruise?

We were just debating our options for deposit!

Thanks

Sent from my SM-A520F using Forums mobile app

That is very helpful sqiishthewhale. If a minimum of £100 is required to activate the ship account it seems as though I will end up joining the queue for a refund if my expenditure on ship is as I expect.