Anyone currently on Eurodam - update since drydock?

weloveourdoggie

This is the current cruise on the Eurodam....

April 18, 2018 Port Everglades to San Francisco (17 days)

I have posted on their Roll Call to see if they could share some information on the ship changes.

Other wise we have to wait 17 days. :)

Not a whole lot of help but I'm on the Crystal Symphony docked next to the Eurodam. I asked one of the passengers about the ship. I didn't get much specific information but they said things were good and there was no lingering construction work.

I would expect Copper10-8's description to be pretty accurate.

Roy

I am passing on reports of people currently on board the Eurodam.....

"Besides carpet, the biggest obvious change is to the Crows Nest. They eliminated the dance floor AND the Cafe. Now there is no place to get something to eat between 10:30 and 11:30 except Room Service. And same issue in the afternoon unless you like hot dogs or pizza. And the Crows Nest is the only place to get cappuccino, etc. Grrrrr"

Second post.......

"Not sure why they are doing this. However, the crew is amazing, as usual. Nicaragua port stop canceled due to political unrest."

I am passing on reports of people currently on board the Eurodam.....

"...Now there is no place to get something to eat between 10:30 and 11:30 except Room Service. And same issue in the afternoon unless you like hot dogs or pizza. And the Crows Nest is the only place to get cappuccino, etc. Grrrrr"

I knew there was a reason I wanted to book Neptune (Lounge). ;p

Okay, I just had to comment on this one.. Now, who doesn't like hot dogs or pizza.. I mean, come on! ;):D

Well, I do like the Dive-in Hot Dogs and the New York Pizza Station on the ships that have them. They are winners as well for me.

It's the Crow's Nest changes that are of concern for me. This lounge should be a pleasant place to view the sea/scenery in which the ship is sailing. It should be a place to obtain an adult beverage while doing so, if so desired.

I support and understand the concept of moving to the idea of EXP. Younger cruisers than I am want such opportunities. What I don't understand is why the Crow's Nest's unique location on cruise ships has to be defiled by locating the EXP program there? The lowest deck Atrium area is where the EXP program should be housed on ships such as the Eurodam or Nieuw Amsterdam.

Edited by rkacruiser

Now there is no place to get something to eat between 10:30 and 11:30 except Room Service. And same issue in the afternoon unless you like hot dogs or pizza.

I actually set out to see exactly how many hours of the day there were no food options other than room service on my last cruise on the Zuiderdam. It was surprisingly few of the traditional waking hours (defined for me as 6:00 am-11:00pm). Admittedly the hour between 10:30 and 11:30 for the switchover in the Lido as one of them, though the pastries and grab & go selections in the plated salad area of the Lido was available while they were switching over from Breakfast service to Lunch.

While lunch service stopped around 2:00 or 3:00, the Dive In, Taco Bar, and sandwich/salad station were open until 5:00. Everything was closed from 5:00 to 5:30 as they were switching over from Lunch service to Dinner Service. And then everything was closed again between 9:30 and 10:30 for the switchover to the "Midnight Buffet" which lasted until 11:30.

So there was nothing other than room service available from 5:00 to 5:30, 9:30 to 10:30, and then 11:30 to 6:00 am (my calculations make that 7 hours a day when the only choice was the room service menu). I think if you cannot plan your meals around those times, you deserve to have to choose from the more than adequate room service menu. I promise, while your first choice might not be available at the time you want it, there is always something to eat and you absolutely, positively will not starve on a cruise ship.

I actually set out to see exactly how many hours of the day there were no food options other than room service on my last cruise on the Zuiderdam. It was surprisingly few of the traditional waking hours (defined for me as 6:00 am-11:00pm). Admittedly the hour between 10:30 and 11:30 for the switchover in the Lido as one of them, though the pastries and grab & go selections in the plated salad area of the Lido was available while they were switching over from Breakfast service to Lunch.

While lunch service stopped around 2:00 or 3:00, the Dive In, Taco Bar, and sandwich/salad station were open until 5:00. Everything was closed from 5:00 to 5:30 as they were switching over from Lunch service to Dinner Service. And then everything was closed again between 9:30 and 10:30 for the switchover to the "Midnight Buffet" which lasted until 11:30.

So there was nothing other than room service available from 5:00 to 5:30, 9:30 to 10:30, and then 11:30 to 6:00 am (my calculations make that 7 hours a day when the only choice was the room service menu). I think if you cannot plan your meals around those times, you deserve to have to choose from the more than adequate room service menu. I promise, while your first choice might not be available at the time you want it, there is always something to eat and you absolutely, positively will not starve on a cruise ship.

All completely true. Completely misses the point, too.

I will be on this ship in a July. Is there any way to find out if the tv's have been upgraded to new ones with DVR like abilities. Not taping but lots of dvds available and you can check your daily bills and all kinds if interactive things. This was on another HAL ship,in Oct and I loved if.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I support and understand the concept of moving to the idea of EXP. Younger cruisers than I am want such opportunities. What I don't understand is why the Crow's Nest's unique location on cruise ships has to be defiled by locating the EXP program there? The lowest deck Atrium area is where the EXP program should be housed on ships such as the Eurodam or Nieuw Amsterdam.

What is the EXP program?

I have been on the NA both before and after the dry dock. Maybe it is because I have no other experience on Holland America, but I didn't see the changes to the Crow's Nest being such a big thing. The EXC area is where the cafe and computers were. The cafe is now integrated with the bar. Biscotti were the only food there. I was able to get a nice coffee and a mixed drink there with no problem. The seating was a bit different but still comfortable. What I didn't like was EXC Central where they held port talks and some trivia. The seating was not comfortable at all, and the classroom setting was just not appealing to me. I will be on the Eurodam next moth for our Alaska cruise, and I am looking forward to at least a little time watching the world pass by from the Crow's Nest.

I will be on this ship in a July. Is there any way to find out if the tv's have been upgraded to new ones with DVR like abilities. Not taping but lots of dvds available and you can check your daily bills and all kinds if interactive things. This was on another HAL ship,in Oct and I loved if.

An answer from a current passenger......

"The cabin tv has lots of movies and tv shows but no dvd. It also has tour and port info. The new Navigator app on you phone lists all daily activities and you can sign up for tours and spa and dinner reservations on it. And yes, you can check your bill anytime. Plus chat with anyone else on board. No more walkie talkies."

An answer from a current passenger......

"The cabin tv has lots of movies and tv shows but no dvd. It also has tour and port info. The new Navigator app on you phone lists all daily activities and you can sign up for tours and spa and dinner reservations on it. And yes, you can check your bill anytime. Plus chat with anyone else on board. No more walkie talkies."

Thank you so much. Someone else had written this wasn't available on Zaandam. I misused the word DVR. I just meant ability to have access to lots of movies and menus and your sign and sail card charges. Again, thank you [emoji1]