Does Choice Air Charge a $25 Fee for Phone Reservations?

mnocket

Recently called Choice Air after checking flights on their website. I noticed that the prices quoted over the phone were consistently $25/ticket higher than on the website. I'm guessing this is a service fee? I meant to ask, but forgot.

On another topic.... I call Choice Air rather than book direct on the website because of the suffix "Jr" on my last name. Celebrity has a problem dealing with suffixes and if I book online it does not appear on my airline ticket. I haven't found a definitive answer as to whether having a passport with "Jr" and a ticket without would cause a problem. I have found some sites that claim that a suffix is not part of your legal name unless it appears on your birth certificate (mine does;)). I'm going to ask a TSA agent about this on my upcoming trip, but does anyone know for certain if it matters if "Jr:" appears on passport and not on ticket?

I booked Choice Air in March. I have not seen a $25 booking fee. They were great and got my flights I wanted and it was $100 less than if I had booked direct. In fact, the economy comfort was not available on line but Choice Air got it for me.

Now there was a slight glitch with the new website. It showed on direction with different flights but after a few emails that was rectified. I wanted to make sure I was on the right flight.

Call and ask. Better to know.

I have not seen an additional charge.

Now to divert this thread (a bit). A "twist" I encountered and didn't appreciate was when I used the "browse flight" function, not the tied to a reservation search, I found a flight I wanted. When I then did the search tied to my reservation, the details I had initially found weren't to be found. Logged out and did the generic search and found the original flight again. There were some other issues with my attempt to book the flight, so ended up calling on the phone. When I asked about the difference between the two search results, I was told the generic search is an "old" data set and the search tied to my reservation was current data. Don't think I got the original flight/price I found on the generic search, but they did get me something close.

I have not seen an additional charge.

Now to divert this thread (a bit). A "twist" I encountered and didn't appreciate was when I used the "browse flight" function, not the tied to a reservation search, I found a flight I wanted. When I then did the search tied to my reservation, the details I had initially found weren't to be found. Logged out and did the generic search and found the original flight again. There were some other issues with my attempt to book the flight, so ended up calling on the phone. When I asked about the difference between the two search results, I was told the generic search is an "old" data set and the search tied to my reservation was current data. Don't think I got the original flight/price I found on the generic search, but they did get me something close.

I found this very irritating when I was searching for flights. On the phone they said it was “behind”, but the information was different for many weeks. It might case it was significantly different and I felt I had wasted my time analyzing the various options.

I agree it was old, almost to the point of just be a rough estimate. I have never seen browse result have a higher cost.

I've never noticed an additional fee. I go about my search differently however. First, I search on various airline and travel sites for the flights I want and what the fee is. I then call Choice Air to book. I have found that Choice Air is either the same (rarely) or cheaper than (most often) the best rate I find for my desired flights. Also, I don't know if this is applicable to Choice Air, however when shopping on airline or travel websites for airfare, it's important to remember that those sites use tracking cookies. The first time you search for a flight will be the cheapest you'll find it (on a given date) and will subsequently get more expensive with each visit. I always do these searches using InPrivate or Incognito windows.

Edited by Luvcrusn
Addition

Also, I don't know if this is applicable to Choice Air, however when shopping on airline or travel websites for airfare, it's important to remember that those sites use tracking cookies. The first time you search for a flight will be the cheapest you'll find it (on a given date) and will subsequently get more expensive with each visit. .

I was wondering if you have ever tested your theory and noticed that the higher fare drop immediately?

As I am sure you know, many people do not believe this to be true.

Thanks.

I've never noticed an additional fee. I go about my search differently however. First, I search on various airline and travel sites for the flights I want and what the fee is. I then call Choice Air to book. I have found that Choice Air is either the same (rarely) or cheaper than (most often) the best rate I find for my desired flights. Also, I don't know if this is applicable to Choice Air, however when shopping on airline or travel websites for airfare, it's important to remember that those sites use tracking cookies. The first time you search for a flight will be the cheapest you'll find it (on a given date) and will subsequently get more expensive with each visit. I always do these searches using InPrivate or Incognito windows.

Not sure if that is true. I did notice the price increase recently, when searching from one day to the next. But, when searched on a different computer, the same higher price came up.

Does anyone know if you can charge the flight with your airline credit card on choice air and get the airline benefits (I have Jet Blue and get free suitcases when i use the card).

Thanks for replying. I agree that they never SHOW a booking fee. I was wondering if they simply add $25 above their web price if you call them on the phone. It just seemed strange that several different flights the agent quoted me were all $25 more than the website was showing.

There used to be a $25 charge if you were not a Captain's Club member. I don't know when this was removed as I have cruised with Celebrity for over 20 years.

On the Cruise Discussion subforum called Cruise Air there are many knowledgeable frequent flyers who can offer their expertise. One of the major topics is booking the same price fare with Cruise Air or with an airline. Frequent flyers will always book with the airline if the prices are comparable. It has much to do with ticket control vs 3rd party booking agent.

Not sure if that is true. I did notice the price increase recently, when searching from one day to the next. But, when searched on a different computer, the same higher price came up.

Does anyone know if you can charge the flight with your airline credit card on choice air and get the airline benefits (I have Jet Blue and get free suitcases when i use the card).

You can use whatever card you'd like to book your air.

When you find cheaper flights via Choice Air, just be aware that the ticket may not be exactly the same as the ticket you'd buy directly from the airline, i.e. all the little rules and restrictions in the fine print. Just because it is in the same cabin on the same flight doesn't mean the tickets are the same.

As for the tracking cookies causing higher prices with every subsequent search, there are some logical explanations as to why you might see a higher price the next time, but they are not intentionally showing you a higher price just because they "know" you've searched those flights before. But there will always be those who are drinking the Kool-aid and insist that this is the case. ;)

Recently called Choice Air after checking flights on their website. I noticed that the prices quoted over the phone were consistently $25/ticket higher than on the website. I'm guessing this is a service fee? I meant to ask, but forgot.

On another topic.... I call Choice Air rather than book direct on the website because of the suffix "Jr" on my last name. Celebrity has a problem dealing with suffixes and if I book online it does not appear on my airline ticket. I haven't found a definitive answer as to whether having a passport with "Jr" and a ticket without would cause a problem. I have found some sites that claim that a suffix is not part of your legal name unless it appears on your birth certificate (mine does;)). I'm going to ask a TSA agent about this on my upcoming trip, but does anyone know for certain if it matters if "Jr:" appears on passport and not on ticket?

My husband is a Jr and it was not on the plane ticket booked through the cruise line. Of course I panicked, called the cruise line, my TA, my friend who is a ticket agent for the airlines. It was never changed and we had NO problem at all. Don’t worry like I did. You’ll be ok

When you find cheaper flights via Choice Air, just be aware that the ticket may not be exactly the same as the ticket you'd buy directly from the airline, i.e. all the little rules and restrictions in the fine print. Just because it is in the same cabin on the same flight doesn't mean the tickets are the same.

As for the tracking cookies causing higher prices with every subsequent search, there are some logical explanations as to why you might see a higher price the next time, but they are not intentionally showing you a higher price just because they "know" you've searched those flights before. But there will always be those who are drinking the Kool-aid and insist that this is the case. ;)

We'll have to agree to disagree on the tracking cookie issue. As for the rest, I am a fine print reader. The ticket I purchase from Choice Air (especially ones where I am flying to one city and returning from another) that are cheaper are exactly the same as I could have purchased directly. I've read and compare the fine print and terms and conditions carefully. I fully realize that just because it's the same flight, cabin, seat there could be different types (and prices) of tickets issued.

My husband is a Jr and it was not on the plane ticket booked through the cruise line. Of course I panicked, called the cruise line, my TA, my friend who is a ticket agent for the airlines. It was never changed and we had NO problem at all. Don’t worry like I did. You’ll be ok

Thanks for the reply. I suspected that the name suffix doesn't matter, but like you I tend to worry about such things - visions of missing our cruise because I was denied airline boarding. Good to have you confirm it's not an issue.

I booked flights today for the first time with Choice Air. I attempted to book twice on the website and both times got as far as entering credit card info, hit "complete booking" and both times got re-directed back to the main page. I called and confirmed that the booking hadn't gone through so asked to do it over the phone. By this time I had found that another on-line site was offering the same flight for $23 per person cheaper. 966 vs 943. When I asked if Choice Air would match the price I was told the difference was due to a $25 booking fee which is applicable to international fights. Didn't really make sense since the price diff was 23 not 25. I went ahead and booked with Choice Air (justifying that the price diff was worth it for the security it offered) then when I got off the phone I went to the website and found where it clearly says there are absolutely no booking fees. I have sent an email to Choice Air to ask for clarification. I will report back when I get a response.

I booked flights today for the first time with Choice Air. I attempted to book twice on the website and both times got as far as entering credit card info, hit "complete booking" and both times got re-directed back to the main page. I called and confirmed that the booking hadn't gone through so asked to do it over the phone. By this time I had found that another on-line site was offering the same flight for $23 per person cheaper. 966 vs 943. When I asked if Choice Air would match the price I was told the difference was due to a $25 booking fee which is applicable to international fights. Didn't really make sense since the price diff was 23 not 25. I went ahead and booked with Choice Air (justifying that the price diff was worth it for the security it offered) then when I got off the phone I went to the website and found where it clearly says there are absolutely no booking fees. I have sent an email to Choice Air to ask for clarification. I will report back when I get a response.

My suspicion is that they only charge a fee for phone reservations - there is no fee for on-line bookings. Mine was also an international flight - maybe this explains why many here have reported no difference in prices (they were looking at domestic fares?).