Celebrity Infinity - Questions, Should I go on it? (reviews are bad?)

NyYankees2k3

Hello,

I am trying to plan a short cruise 3-4 nights in February 2019. I've been on about 15+ cruises. Mostly NCL, then Princess, RCCL, and a few Carnival. I love going on NCL, and enjoyed Princess. I am a fan of larger ships with more action, and newer boats.

My question is the following. Right now for that time frame what works for me is either

1) Celebrity Infinity

2) NCL Sky (been on it before, not bad for a tiny no frills ship), I do have Platinum on NCL

3) RCCL Mariner of the seas (I was on the Navigator when it was first launched, so I know that format, also been on Oasis, and Freedom)

The reason for me posting is right now, I can't decide if the Celebrity Infinity will be too old / date of a ship, after reading a lot of bad reviews? Anyone have any thoughts? If we went on it, with their promotion, I would basically get a balcony for the same price as an inside on the SKY and inside on the Mariner. We normally do Balcony, and already have a trip planned later this year, but trying to do a "budget" cruise.

Thanks for your input

it looks like you have enough of your own information to make a decision. Yes, Infinity is old, but cheaper. It depends if cheaper is what you want or something that you know you must do...I have been on the Sky years ago - nothing special! Life is for living and cheaper, just to cruise is not my idea of enjoying a cruise, but then that is me! What is your gut telling you? You also state that you have another cruise...I would rather do my cruises with what I want and not skimp to do more than one...just doing more with less is not for me. If I am going to plan and enjoy a cruise, then I want it to be special! I do not cruise just to cruise. Life goes by too fast and quality is my goal!

I would not cruise on Infinity! That is my own personal feeling...you do what is best for you; it is your money...

Edited by Lastdance

Hello,

I am trying to plan a short cruise 3-4 nights in February 2019. I've been on about 15+ cruises. Mostly NCL, then Princess, RCCL, and a few Carnival. I love going on NCL, and enjoyed Princess. I am a fan of larger ships with more action, and newer boats.

My question is the following. Right now for that time frame what works for me is either

1) Celebrity Infinity

2) NCL Sky (been on it before, not bad for a tiny no frills ship), I do have Platinum on NCL

3) RCCL Mariner of the seas (I was on the Navigator when it was first launched, so I know that format, also been on Oasis, and Freedom)

The reason for me posting is right now, I can't decide if the Celebrity Infinity will be too old / date of a ship, after reading a lot of bad reviews? Anyone have any thoughts? If we went on it, with their promotion, I would basically get a balcony for the same price as an inside on the SKY and inside on the Mariner. We normally do Balcony, and already have a trip planned later this year, but trying to do a "budget" cruise.

Thanks for your input

My first (and 2nd) Celebrity cruises were on Infinity. I’ve since been on all other M-class and several of the newer S-class ships. All good. I totally don’t get why the age of a ship seems to bother some people. All are well maintained, and in any case the great personnel on Celebrity are what makes the experience special. I don’t care much for the routes they’ve put Infinity on so may not see her again. But with the right itinerary I would book her in a instant.

• Like 1

Hello,

1) Celebrity Infinity

Thanks for your input

It's your decision.

We spent a month on the Infinity last year. The ship was in nice shape, crew was great, food was very good. There are things about the M-Class ships we much prefer over the S class. We would book the Infinity again without a second thought.

In September 2017, the Infinity was in great shape and well maintained. It was a very comfortable size for our Pacific Coastal cruise...

Agree. We were on the cruise the week before yours. Glad you were pleased that we kept her in good shape for you. ;p

If you want lots of nightlife the Infinity may not be a good fit.

A short cruise during spring break season will prove challenging on any ship.

We've been on the Infinity three times and are quite comfortable with her layout. One thing is for sure you will have better service and cuisine on the Infinity.

If you look at the deck plan you will notice different balcony sizes like the preferred "sweet sixteen."

I hope you find a good fit. I just can't recommend any 3 night cruise.

Did Buenos Aires to Valparaiso on Infinity in Feb-Mar 2016. MDR food was not great at dinner, but food was good in buffet and Qsine. Love Cafe Al Bacio. Service very good and cabin comfortable and in good condition. Entertainment mostly good (except for the guy who played Flight of the Bumblebee on the saxophone - we couldn't stop laughing and decided to leave). Had a great time. We don't do less than 7 days and usually at least 10. Different ambiance on 3 to 5 day cruises. But we are retired and don't need to strictly manage vacation days.

If your priority is a big ship, Mariner otS should be your choice.

If you are looking for a bit more luxury and focus on service, Infinity would be your choice.

We have cruised on M-class, incl. Infinity, numerous times. Although I also like the larger S-class more, I would never exclude M-class. Well kept, friendly staff (typical for Celebrity), good food etc.

Our cruise on Infinity to South America was exceptional. Our last cruises were on Millennium. If you read about Millennium you get the feeling it is the industry´s worst ship. And yet our cruises on her were some of the best ever...

Don´t read too much into the moaning some people do. It seems to be some people´s favorite pastime... up to a point where it is ruining everybody else´s mood.

• Like 2

........ I love going on NCL, and enjoyed Princess. I am a fan of larger ships with more action, and newer boats.....

I think you have your answer right there.

The Infinity is a smaller, older ship with a laid back ambiance.

I would not recommend it to someone who is looking for more action.

The Infinity has no amusement park rides, no water slides, no flow rider or climbing walls, no ice skating rink, no zip line, no belly flop or hairy leg/chest contests, no announcements blaring at you throughout the day to remind you that bingo or the world's greatest jewelry sale is starting.

That is why we like it.

We prefer the comfortable, smaller ships with serene, welcoming and relaxing atmosphere, good food and great service, without all the bells and whistles.

As the saying goes, different strokes.........

Edited by fleckle
  • Like 1

Our first cruise was on the Norwegian Jade (I think) and since then we have done several RCL and Celebrity cruises. The last cruise we did on RCL was the inaugural cruise for the Ovation of the seas and we thoroughly enjoyed it, I even tried the 'Sky Diving' but we always resort back to Celebrity.

As someone else pointed out don't listen to all the complaints because a holiday is what YOU make of it. The staff on the Celebrity ships are fantastic and I have never had any complaints. We were on the Equinox 2 years running (about 11 months between cruise) and the Maitre'D in the Blue restaurant remembered our names without having to prompt her.

We are going on the Infinity on the 17th May 2018 doing a Pacific Coastal and if I went by the reviews of the ship from some people I would probably not booked it. However, I have booked it, I have read these bad reviews but I know I will enjoy my cruise.

My advice, ignore everybody else and do what YOU want to do, Enjoy

I think you have your answer right there.

The Infinity is a smaller, older ship with a laid back ambiance.

I would not recommend it to someone who is looking for more action.

The Infinity has no amusement park rides, no water slides, no flow rider or climbing walls, no ice skating rink, no zip line, no belly flop or hairy leg/chest contests, no announcements blaring at you throughout the day to remind you that bingo or the world's greatest jewelry sale is starting.

That is why we like it.

We prefer the comfortable, smaller ships with serene, welcoming and relaxing atmosphere, good food and great service, without all the bells and whistles.

As the saying goes, different strokes.........

Agree!

We prefer the S class ships to M class because of their better ‘flow’ and choice of restaurants but M class are by no means falling to pieces.....

From your description of what you want from a cruise I am not sure if any of Celebrity’s Cruises would suit you well...the focus is on rest and relaxation not action and activities. Yes there are activities and some night life on Celebrity but nothing like on RC....

I also agree with the post saying they would not consider 3/4 night Cruises. With tight time and cash budget why not look at booking a last minute bargain break hotel?

Hello,

1) Celebrity Infinity

Thanks for your input

You are an experienced cruise passenger with 15+ cruises. You know what you want in a cruise. You also might know that on these boards ships of all ages (brand new to old) on all cruise lines get bad reviews as well as excellent reviews. Old does not necessarily equal bad or not well maintained. Some here focus on bad reviews and dismiss the good reviews. We spent a few weeks on Infinity and loved it. That is my opinion so just count it with the good reviews and try to evaluate an overall trend instead of just 1 or 2 reviews either way.

If you are looking for a bit more luxury and focus on service, Infinity would be your choice.

We have cruised on M-class, incl. Infinity, numerous times. Although I also like the larger S-class more, I would never exclude M-class. Well kept, friendly staff (typical for Celebrity), good food etc.

Our cruise on Infinity to South America was exceptional. Our last cruises were on Millennium. If you read about Millennium you get the feeling it is the industry´s worst ship. And yet our cruises on her were some of the best ever...

Don´t read too much into the moaning some people do. It seems to be some people´s favorite pastime... up to a point where it is ruining everybody else´s mood.

Thank you for that last comment, We booked Alaska on the Infinity over a year before we sailed. The comments on these boards had me terrified of the condition in which I was going to find the ship! It was our best cruise ever up to that point! The best cruise ever for us goes to the Infinity again when we did the Panama Canal transit on her a year ago! I don' believe the comments of most complainers on this board. I think they have maybe cruised too much or are never happy with anything ever. Sad.

The Infinity is a nice ship, much nicer than the NCL Sky. I prefer the Mariner though since I also like bigger ships. And usually there's a younger crowd on Royal and better entertainment. Now if you want a more relaxed cruise with less kiddies the the Infinity is the way to go. It should be getting a overhaul this year so if you are booking for 2019 there's a good chance she'll have had a recent remodel.

Don't worry about the ships age, Celebrity maintains its ships well. Infinity has been updated several times. You should try Celebrity, food and service are a cut above NCL and Royal. We will be on Infinity in September for our third time.

Aboard Infinity now on East bound Canal cruise. Some parts of Infinity are really showing age and wear. Others not so much. I can’t say it has detracted from our enjoyment at all. Staff is very friendly, service efficient and most of the food has been quite good. Sure there are things I’d have seasoned differently but all in all it has been good. I’d sail her again.

Actually, I was on the Millie and really enjoyed the crew. We were lucky to have a nice cabin, but the shower curtain would always stick to me, the walls, and was a nuisance. Also, the layout of the OVC made me wonder if i was just walking around a track, looking for a way out...hahahaha. Moaning is not my pastime, but sharing my opinion on these boards is the purpose of CC, isn't it? I admit that I am an S class girl who enjoys the venues on that class of ship. I may or may not like the Edge, but it will be interesting to experience....I do not think that you referred to me as a moaner, but thought I would clear the air...yes, being resilient is very important, along with not taking life to seriously...you seem to have that figured out quite nicely!

Have sailed many times on Infinity, including several weeks last year. I would not hesitate to book her. Yes, she is older, but Celebrity does a great job at maintaining their ships. And personally, I prefer the size and ambiance of M class over S class anyway (although I love both!).

Aboard Infinity now on East bound Canal cruise. Some parts of Infinity are really showing age and wear. Others not so much. I can’t say it has detracted from our enjoyment at all. Staff is very friendly, service efficient and most of the food has been quite good. Sure there are things I’d have seasoned differently but all in all it has been good. I’d sail her again.

I experienced the same thing in November...[emoji16]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

M-class ships often get bad reviews these days, mainly because people have unrealistic expectations or are unnecessarily fussy. Our last 3 cruises have been on M-class and all were wonderful.