Is a table for 9 in the Main Dining Room possible?

BoopTennis

we have a family group, 9 total, 8 adults and one 12 year old. I know the max dining table size on the website is 8. We are doing the traditional late seating. I know we can break our group up into two groups near each other, but just wondering if anyone has ever "crammed" 9 people at one table?

Largest table setting I have been at is 10 on RCCL ships, thought Princess had that large as well. To get the whole family at the one table, the reservations would need to be linked or you could split into two tables and try and be next to each other. We had a large group and took up 4 tables in the same section and some rotated which probably is easier to do if doing MTD. In main dining best would be to link all reservations via the cruise line or TA if your using one.

We were supposed to be at a table for 8 on a 28 day cruise but they seated us at a table for 10. Not a problem. They just push a few tables together and lay a big plywood piece on top to make large tables. It looks like a large table until you see them take one apart or put one together. There shouldn't be an issue with your party. I would stop and talk with the maitre d' the first day of the cruise. There is always a time and place listed in the Patter to do this sort of thing.

we have a family group, 9 total, 8 adults and one 12 year old. I know the max dining table size on the website is 8. We are doing the traditional late seating. I know we can break our group up into two groups near each other, but just wondering if anyone has ever "crammed" 9 people at one table?

We had one long table on the Regal for eight and at least two more seats could have been added. We had no problem.

We ate at 5:30 PM with three under six grandchildren with the same wait staff every evening. See the Matre'd as soon as you board and you'll have no problem.

Howard

We had a group of 11 together on the Golden Princess last year. We had a rectangular table every night with traditional dinning. It worked, but was probably a real pain for the waiters. Their fellow waiters helped when they could. If you are on the early sitting, be on time so they can finish the meal before the 2nd seating. This really puts a strain on the waiters...give them a big tip!

We cruised with 17 family members. We had a table for 8 and one with 9 every night no problem at all. First seating at 6 p.m. The tables were close to each other only about 4 or 5 feet away.

Tony

Wow. Actual 6 PM seating! No matter how many times I was "guaranteed" 6 PM seating it always turned into 5:30 PM when we boarded - except for one time it turned into 5:15 PM seating! We have finally given up on traditional seating as we hate being locked into 5:30 PM. That's just too dang early. Our last cruise was 14 days and we chose Anytime Dining. Oddly enough I think we only ate in MDR 3 times on that cruise which, for us, is very unusual.

We had a group of 13 on the Ruby last month but 5 of them were kids. They always gave us 2 tables next to each other with one being a kids table. With kids of course it is nice to put them at their own table. We didn’t feel cramped with 8 adults so I think you will be fine with 9 especially since the 9th is a 12yo.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Wow. Actual 6 PM seating! No matter how many times I was "guaranteed" 6 PM seating it always turned into 5:30 PM when we boarded - except for one time it turned into 5:15 PM seating! We have finally given up on traditional seating as we hate being locked into 5:30 PM. That's just too dang early. Our last cruise was 14 days and we chose Anytime Dining. Oddly enough I think we only ate in MDR 3 times on that cruise which, for us, is very unusual.

Hi Thrak, This year we were on the Caribbean Princess. We went to the maître d’ and requested 6 p.m. and he moved our time to 5:45 p.m. We tried ATD and we really don’t like it. If you show up a 6 there’s always a wait and now with CC you have to wait even longer :rolleyes: Because they save so many tables for CC.

Tony

We did ATD from the start but now have switched back to TD and like it better. We always ask for 6 PM TD which like others on here means 5:30. There are only two time choices in practice so we live with it.

One cruise there was an 8 top in TD that had 9 assigned to it. They just moved everyone closer together. We were near the table at our usual 6 top.

On a cruise the end of last year, again near our 6 top was a group of adults seated at a 8 top and nearby a 6 top with children. The adults for the most part ignored the children with the results being predictable. There was one girl at the table that appeared to be 13 or 14 and she evidently was put in charge of the table but could not handle the 3 boys probably around 10 or 11.

Hi Thrak, This year we were on the Caribbean Princess. We went to the maître d’ and requested 6 p.m. and he moved our time to 5:45 p.m. We tried ATD and we really don’t like it. If you show up a 6 there’s always a wait and now with CC you have to wait even longer :rolleyes: Because they save so many tables for CC.

Tony

Not true - they take CC tables out of the MDR that handles early traditional. I'd say they're actually helping ATD capacity by moving some folks who would have used ATD into an area of another MDR.

Not true - they take CC tables out of the MDR that handles early traditional. I'd say they're actually helping ATD capacity by moving some folks who would have used ATD into an area of another MDR.

Or, by removing tables for use by traditional diners, forcing some people who wanted early traditional to be assigned to anytime.