Lazy

shellsanibel

Out of energy. I usually plan all my own trips (non cruise) and research down to the nth degree. We would like to do an Alaskan cruise in the fall of 2019 with 10 total people and honestly, I don't feel like researching and planning(others don't enjoy planning and have no interest) I have contacted a travel agent for the first time ever and she has recommended HAL which we are all content with. Due to schedules we need to travel in early September, so that is settled. We plan to do a 7 day cruise and do the route where we fly in to one city and sail north and end up in seward (want to save a few bucks) Here's my question-for sake of ease.....we were planning on doing 3-5 day land tour through HAL. I made the mistake of doing some research LOL......and it seems like an overwhelming number of Alaskan cruisers who say it's much more enjoyable(maybe lots cheaper) to do your own land tour. Our whole group is meeting in a few days and I was wondering if anyone could briefly offer an example itinerary(max of 5 days) should we rent a car and do the land tour on our own. Please don't ask what we are interested in seeing.....with 10 of us, we need a general plan that would please a herd of people who have never been to Alaska. We are 55-65 and all relatively active. Maybe recommendations for sites/experiences not available on the cruise. Would love lodging ideas en route also. One other impossibility perhaps.......we would LOVE to see the .northern lights......know the chance is slim to none this time of year and should allow multiple days just for that....but.would love to try one night. Thanks for any advise as I know I am being totally lazy. OR with 10 people.....should we just do the HAL land tour and call it a day? Thanks!!!

Oh, I feel your pain since I am usually the planner. I would just do the Hal tour and call it a day! I do hope you get to enjoy the cruise. Alaska is so beautiful.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Fairbanks is the research center for Northern Lights viewing. If you are going to see them, that is the spot. Might want to check with the research station to see if this is a heavy year for them or not. If you can all get up there and possibly base yourself at Chena Hot Springs you would certainly be enjoying a great spot in Alaska itself. https://www.travelalaska.com/Media%20Center/Featured%20Copy/Northern%20Lights.aspx

Aurora forecast zones: http://auroraforecast.gi.alaska.edu

We (family of 4)did the Vancouver to Seward trip back in 2009 on HAL but did the land portion on our own. Car rental was pricey in Seward and that was reserving the car well in advance. Drove to Anchorage first night off the ship and then spent 3 nights in a very nice place in Healy, AK, the Motel Nord Haven. We used the motel as our base to explore Denali as it is about 20 minutes to the visitor center. We explored Denali for 2 1/2 days and then drove north to Fairbanks. On the way we visited dog sled kennels and some other attractions that HAL frequents as well. I know we met the HAL bus at one tourist spot but I can't recall the name of it. While in Fairbanks we drove to the North Pole to see Santa, who was great. We also drove the Chena Hot Springs Road approximately 60 miles to the Chena Hot Springs, east of Fairbanks. A great drive with opportunities to see many moose along the way and other wildlife. We had a great time and would do it again. You need at least two days for Denali.

With 10 people you're going to need multiple vehicles, multiple hotel rooms. That's a lot to sort out. And as the planner, you may end up trying to keep the group on schedule. Unless you enjoy herding cats, you may be better off just doing the package with HAL.

We did HAL land tour. It was wonderful to have the tour hosts on the bus, train, etc explaining what you are seeing and the history of the area. We loved not having to worry about any of the details and just being able to enjoy the beauty. We took an extra day in Fairbanks and used the bus, which worked out wonderfully.

Oh, I feel your pain since I am usually the planner. I would just do the Hal tour and call it a day! I do hope you get to enjoy the cruise. Alaska is so beautiful.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ditto this comment. Just do the HAL tour....you will enjoy it. Alaska is gorgeous...enjoy!

I wholeheartedly agree with those who say do the HAL land tour. You really don't want that hassle. Then, should something not be to someone's liking, it's the cruise line and not you who would shoulder the gruff. It will be hard for you to enjoy yourself it because you'll be focused on making sure all arrangements are in place.

That's a large tour group. Let the professionals do the work. That way you can simply ride along and enjoy your friends as you discover some of what Alaska has to offer.

I agree with the others about letting HAL do the work. As someone posted, you will need at least two vehicles which means two drivers. Those drivers (and their navigators) probably won't get to see as much as they're concentrating on driving and navigating. Everyone will enjoy their tour, if you let HAL do the work.

Edited by Alberta Quilter

I wholeheartedly agree with those who say do the HAL land tour. You really don't want that hassle. Then, should something not be to someone's liking, it's the cruise line and not you who would shoulder the gruff. It will be hard for you to enjoy yourself it because you'll be focused on making sure all arrangements are in place.

That's a large tour group. Let the professionals do the work. That way you can simply ride along and enjoy your friends as you discover some of what Alaska has to offer.

Agree totally.

If just 2-4 people, I would do the land tour myself, but with 10, let HAL do it. I know from experience than a large group will have a number of different ideas/wants/desires/spending and you will never be able to sort it out (I have done this twice and both times it was a royal PAIN!).

One suggestion though - do the land portion first, then the cruise. The land tours that HAL runs will tire you out and you will be ready to get onboard and recover afterwards. Also, the air flight home will be alot shorter (going out you are all excited and it does not seem as bad).

Another vote for the HAL land tour. As the one who always gets appointed to organize large group tours, I feel I enjoy my vacation less than everyone else. I worry is everyone enjoying themselves, did I remember all the tickets, will the driver show up on time....etc....

Let HAL do the work, your sit back and just be LAZY!!!

With 10 people you're going to need multiple vehicles, multiple hotel rooms. That's a lot to sort out. And as the planner, you may end up trying to keep the group on schedule. Unless you enjoy herding cats, you may be better off just doing the package with HAL.

Agree 100%! And I don't think you're lazy. This is a disaster waiting to happen.

Roz

Do it on your own. It is late in the season, crowds should be down. Upon disembarking take the Kenai Fjords cruise, the prime rib, salmon version. This goes til 5, then take the 6:00 train to Anchorage, this is the most scenic stretch of the entire railroad. Overnight Anchorage, then either drive or take the train to Denali. Overnight in Denali. Next afternoon do the sled dog demonstration at the visitor center followed by the Tundra Wilderness tour into the park. Overnight in Denali, or head south and overnight in Talkeetna. The next day maybe a flightseeing trip and leisurely trip back to Anchorage, nice dinner and evening flight home.