Excited as the Alaska season opens up!

Tinknock50

This from Seattle....

https://www.portseattle.org/Newsroom/News-Releases/Pages/default.aspx?year=2018#729

Port of Seattle Kicks off Another Record Season

Over one-million passengers expected, with larger ships leading the way

04/19/2018

​SEATTLE – The Port of Seattle embarks on another record cruise season with the arrival of the first ship – Norwegian Cruise Line (NCL) Sun, making it the biggest cruise port on the West Coast for the second year in a row. The Port expects 1,100,468 revenue cruise passengers this year, breaking last year’s record of 1,071,594. Larger cruise vessels to Alaska destinations are leading the way toward higher passenger counts.

“The Port of Seattle welcomes the cruise season every year, as it provides over a half a billion in economic value to our region,” said Port of Seattle Commission President Courtney Gregoire. “These dollars reach businesses of all sizes, and we look forward to having more visitors stay and enjoy the beautiful state of Washington.”

Cruise_opening_NCL_pearl.jpg

Norwegian Cruise Line vessel departs from Elliot Bay in Seattle. Photo courtesy of Port Photographer Don Wilson.

Port of Seattle Commissioners also approved the Port Valet program last week, a complimentary cruise luggage program where Seattle cruise passengers will be able to get their airline boarding pass and check their bags before leaving the cruise ship, so they can check out Seattle before flying home.

“Port Valet is a wonderful way for visitors to leave their baggage and explore the great things Seattle has to offer,” said Tom Norwalk, CEO of Visit Seattle. “You can visit Pike Place Market, see the Space Needle, or even taste some wine in Woodinville before catching your flight home.”

The Port will also welcome the NCL Bliss on May 30. At 4,000 passengers, Bliss will be the largest cruise ship on the West Coast this season.

About the Port of Seattle

Founded in 1911, The Port owns and operates Seattle-Tacoma International Airport, two cruise ship terminals, Fishermen’s Terminal—home of the North Pacific fishing fleet, one grain terminal, a public cargo terminal, four public marinas, and manages a number of real estate assets for financial return and economic advantage. The port’s operations currently help create nearly 200,000 jobs and $7 billion in wages throughout the region. Over the next 19 years, the port’s “Century Agenda” seeks to create an additional 100,000 jobs through economic growth while becoming the nation’s leading green and energy-efficient port. Learn more at http://www.portseattle.org.

Seattle gets high marks for starting this "Port Valet" program - check your bags, get your boarding pass and then go spend time and money in Seattle. Perfect response to a long neglected traveler need. Hope we see this is many other cruise disembarkation ports.

Thanks for this report. However bragging about even more larger cruise ships doing the Alaska itinerary makes me glad our next Alaska trip is on a smaller one, early season and off the 7 day Alaska "bus trip" route.

Seattle gets high marks for starting this "Port Valet" program - check you bags, get your boarding pass and then go spend time and money in Seattle. Perfect response to a long neglected traveler need. Hope we see this is many other cruise disembarkation ports.

Thanks for this report. However bragging about even more larger cruise ships doing the Alaska itinerary makes me glad our next Alaska trip is on a smaller one, early season and off the 7 day Alaska "bus trip" route.

I know I will use this service this time. Unfortunately, I will have to keep some luggage because I will need it in the morning for my friend's care needs.

Wish I could drop them off for this service on the dock, but they won't do that.

Edited by Tinknock50