Symphony Specialty Dining Service Charge

I read the following in Cruise Critic for Symphony of the Seas: "

Also be aware that the cover charge listed for each specialty restaurant is not the price you'll actually pay -- you have to factor in an additional 18 percent gratuity

and

10 percent service charge for each person."

OK. I expected the 18% gratuity and have paid it in the past. I was amazed by the 10% service charge. Where did that come from? Why not just bump the price up 10%. From a customer point of view, this sounds more like a 30% gratuity. I'm not liking this.

I read the following in Cruise Critic for Symphony of the Seas: "

Also be aware that the cover charge listed for each specialty restaurant is not the price you'll actually pay -- you have to factor in an additional 18 percent gratuity

and

10 percent service charge for each person."

OK. I expected the 18% gratuity and have paid it in the past. I was amazed by the 10% service charge. Where did that come from? Why not just bump the price up 10%. From a customer point of view, this sounds more like a 30% gratuity. I'm not liking this.

The extra 10% may be coming from the Spanish VAT. We received a letter on embarkation in our room that explained we would be charged VAT throughout our cruise on items not covered in our initial cruise fare. 75f43d20aafd57eea08996b4525d0206.jpg

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

So, I hate paperwork. So what I've learned is I just won't buy anything while in the EU or onboard :) Besides, I'm Canadian, its all ridiculously expensive given the awful exchange rate.

I go on the Symphony in October (the 9 day)

I hardly bought anything the last time I was in the EU ... but that is because I was travelling for 3 weeks with just a carry-on, so there was no room.

The extra 10% may be coming from the Spanish VAT. We received a letter on embarkation in our room that explained we would be charged VAT throughout our cruise on items not covered in our initial cruise fare. 75f43d20aafd57eea08996b4525d0206.jpg

Yes, it's the VAT.

What if you prepay before boarding for a specialty dining plan? How does the gratuity work? And the VAT ? Are they already included? Or is it extra?

TIA

I don’t know about the VAT but if you prepay for a package before the cruise then you are not charged the gratuity on board.

What if you prepay before boarding for a specialty dining plan? How does the gratuity work? And the VAT ? Are they already included? Or is it extra?

TIA

Anything prepaid was not subject to VAT or the service charge. Only applies to purchases made onboard