Has anyone here sailed on the Golden since dry dock?

moki'smommy

Friend on the Golden right now.

She says the following:

New Beds, Big Screen TV's, New carpet in hallways to cabins. Refurbished Sabatini's and has new menu. Buffet redone.

The Sea Witch wasn't painted on bow(like they are doing on all the ship). Reason, in 2020 the ship is going to P&O.(The P&O emblem already on the ship but painted over so not really noticed yet. Same thing with where ship registered has London instead of Hamilton.

The P&O logo has been on Golden since she was launched in 2001; was painted over ca. 2008 when P&O and Princess each became separate entities under the Carnival Corp umbrella rather than parent & child. (Unless of course you can clearly see that it is the current P&O Australia logo being covered up, rather than the vintage '90s corporate logo that while faded can be easily made out on Grand Princess).

As for the internet: what has been previously posted on here is that any pre-scheduled backroom technology upgrades have been carried out at each ship's drydock even though the Ocean Medallion launch schedule has been shredded. (While leaving the fleet soon Golden was planned to offer the Medallion by late 2018/early 2019). But the internet plans in my personalizer for Golden next month have not changed to the new three-tiered per-diem (rather than per minute) offerings.

More information from a friend that is now on board.

"The biggest issue is with temperature control. Cabins are either too hot or too cold. . The public areas—Princess Theater, Explorer’sLounge, Vista Lounge, Skywalker’s, & the dining rooms have been downright freezing. Ironically, the stairways have been warm. There’s been long lines at Passenger Services consistently."

We were on the golden Jananary 2018.. already new beds and new TV's, well in our cabin there was... So it sounds like not much has changed... be back on her in November 2018.

One was hoping for more...... as long as it floats and they don't run out of food and drink we will be right...

Cheers Don

We were on the golden Jananary 2018.. already new beds and new TV's, well in our cabin there was... So it sounds like not much has changed... be back on her in November 2018.

One was hoping for more...... as long as it floats and they don't run out of food and drink we will be right...

Cheers Don

We were on her in in February and the same - very comfortable new bed and TV. Also will be back on board in November. I hope the torn, very worn green carpet on the sports deck has been replaced. Very much a tripping menace.

Leigh

HI Leigh,

I agree, and the new beds were very comfortable, so good the other half didn't hear me snore.

One other thing, the carpets in all the hallways and lift foyers on the cabin decks 8 to 12 all look pretty good, as we walked around them all as it was too windy to go out on deck...

So what did they do ?????

Hopefully fix the drawers in our cabin as we are in the same cabin in November

Cheers Don

Well, they undoubtedly accomplished the required engine inspection and work. Beyond that, dry docks are usually used for repairs and replacements in public areas where guests would be disturbed if it were done during a cruise. After that, we can just hope.......

My friend on board now did mention problem with A/C too.

She is in an inside cabin. It did get fixed. She also said there seems to be long lines at the Pursers desk.

LOL Think we have the same friend. :D

Has she been sending her blog to you too?

If we are talking about Kim then no. Just some now and then updates. We are leaving for the Golden on Wednesday. Just don't know what to pack as far as clothing. Rough life. :)

If we are talking about Kim then no. Just some now and then updates. We are leaving for the Golden on Wednesday. Just don't know what to pack as far as clothing. Rough life. :)
Will you also be able to comment on the changes made during drydock? We will be on her this fall for 28 days sailing from LA to Sydney. I believe the additional WiFi antennas and other equipment were added to support *****. Even though ***** implementation will apparently wait until her transfer to P&O Australia in 2020, it would be nice if they implemented the faster internet with flat rate pricing this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Will you also be able to comment on the changes made during drydock? We will be on her this fall for 28 days sailing from LA to Sydney. I believe the additional WiFi antennas and other equipment were added to support *****. Even though ***** implementation will apparently wait until her transfer to P&O Australia in 2020, it would be nice if they implemented the faster internet with flat rate pricing this year.

Oh now you have put me on the spot. lol Not sure if I will be able to tell what has changed since the dry dock other then maybe new carpets and such but I will ask when on board and let you know.

Oh now you have put me on the spot. lol Not sure if I will be able to tell what has changed since the dry dock other then maybe new carpets and such but I will ask when on board and let you know.

Thanks for anything you learn. I assume with the new Sabatini’s Trattoria menu that the space has been remodeled and the ship has been prepped for *****. With the transfer to P&O Australia in two years there were probably few other major changes. Am interested if they will be implementing the fast WiFi this year.

Cheers Don

When you say new TV's, are they the Princess On Demand TV's or just newer flat screen type TV's?

Bob

Thanks for anything you learn. I assume with the new Sabatini’s Trattoria menu that the space has been remodeled and the ship has been prepped for *****. With the transfer to P&O Australia in two years there were probably few other major changes. Am interested if they will be implementing the fast WiFi this year.

I do hang out at the internet café so I will ask about the faster WiFi. :)

When you say new TV's, are they the Princess On Demand TV's or just newer flat screen type TV's?

Bob

Just new flat screen TVs Bob, unfortunately not Princess on Demand that we had on the Diamond three years ago.

Leigh

Friend on the Golden right now.

She says the following:

New Beds, Big Screen TV's, New carpet in hallways to cabins. Refurbished Sabatini's and has new menu. Buffet redone.

The Sea Witch wasn't painted on bow(like they are doing on all the ship). Reason, in 2020 the ship is going to P&O.(The P&O emblem already on the ship but painted over so not really noticed yet. Same thing with where ship registered has London instead of Hamilton.

The P&O label has been on all Princess ships in the past as P&O Group which was founded in 1837 was the main parent company and they acquired Princes in 1973/74. The Royal Princess in 1984 was the first Princess ship under the ownership by this group and by 1988 when the P&O Group acquired Sitmar Princess then got a few of their ships. I believe since construction of the first Royal Princess that all Princess ships had the P&O label on the side and shared the same House Flag and bow logo.

Sadly in my opinion, Carnival Corp got its claws into Princess in 2003 and things changed. Some for the worst and some for the better. Gradually the P&O label disappeared from Princess ships. That is why P&O and Princess have allowed loyalty crossover between brands. Their historic ownership.

The P&O label would already have existed on the ship.

I have included photos of Star Princess taken in 2003 as proof.

2003-11-26-008.jpg.5d03d73a5a587b56288b86dc5640a759.jpg

2003-11-26-002.jpg.9d651eb5c28e236fa749c8a30ce2891e.jpg