Zuiderdam - Northern Isles July 31 from Copenhagen

gailellen12

I'm not recognizing the cruise by name, but have spent a lot of cruising days in those islands, including out of Copenhagen.

What's the itinerary, and even more, what information are you interested in knowing?

Thanks l This is a cruise on the Holland America Zuiderdam - It may be listed as a longer cruise but I am just interested in the Copenhagen-Scotland-Iceland-Shetland Isl./ Faeroe Isl - Copenhagen segment. 14 days. July 29 - Aug 14. I guess I just wanted an overdue and general opinion of the cruise from someone who has done it. This would be a solo tour for me and I just want to be very sure before I plunk down the big bucks! Thanks in advance for any information.

I don't know where you are stopping in Scotland or Iceland, but I can guess where you will be in both the Shetland Islands and Faeroes.

In both cases, you really need to get out of the village to appreciate the area.

The Faeroes are green, lush, and lacking in trees. The vegetation amazes. It's a very stark land which makes you wonder how people can live there.

There should be a tour out to an ancient village area in the Shetlands. It is very interesting. There was also a tour over to the ruins of a castle. Also interesting. Both tours leave you plenty of time too walk around the village.

We've not done that itinerary but got off the Zuiderdam just over a week ago. I just read the most recent review of the ship here on CC and recognise nothing of it, we found it to be a lovely ship in great condition, so, personally I wouldn't hesitate to sail on that ship.

Re: the itinerary, Copenhagen is a lovely port. We've spent a long weekend there as well as visiting last summer on a cruise. We did a food and walking tour last summer as a change and it was great. We've not visited Iceland but are going this summer, lots to do there, I have no experience of the other ports.

I am also planning on doing this cruise - 14 nights Northern Isles cruise, but in 2019. I might be going solo if I can't convince my hubby to come along. The big question I have is; are the North Atlantic seas routinely rough between Norway to Iceland, or between Iceland and the Faroe Islands? My husband gets sea sick.....

I am fine with rough seas and I am very much looking forward to every stop on this itinerary, I would like my husband along as well. :-)

The big question I have is; are the North Atlantic seas routinely rough between Norway to Iceland, or between Iceland and the Faroe Islands? My husband gets sea sick.....

I wouldn't use the word "routinely". The seas can get rough, certainly, but they can also be smooth as glass.

One year, heading east from NYC to Europe, coming out of Nuuk, Greenland, we ran into 45' seas for about 38 hours. The next year, that same area was smooth as smooth can be (it was fog the entire trip, with calm seas).

I've crossed the Atlantic on the northern route, plus many cruises in the North Sea, many times. If you run into a storm, it can get rough. But I wouldn't put the chances of bad seas any higher than anywhere else.

Thanks Ruth, that was the type of answer I was hoping for..... I will let my husband know. I was cruising Norway last summer and we hit a terrible storm with high and rough seas. My sister was with me, thank Goodness not my hubby. We weathered it fine, and the rest of our cruise was fabulous with great weather.

gailellen12, have you been to Norway before? If you have stops in Norway - Bergen and Alesund, they are beautiful cities with lots of history. I was to Norway last year and very much enjoyed the cruise. in 2019, the Northern Isles cruise also goes to Norway, Iceland, Faroe Islands, Shetland Islands and Inverness Scotland. I am very much looking forward to seeing every port along the way. I don't mind re-visiting the towns in Norway as it was all so beautiful.

• 3 weeks later...

I have been to Norway before. The cruise I am still looking at does not include it. I would not have minded going back there but the only time I have off for vacation is the end of July or early August. Still debating this trip. As a solo it is very expensive - at least:confused: for me.

We love everything in this part of the world and it is a good place for solo travel, no matter what your itinerary - it is very safe, clean, beautiful parks and flowers, accessible, good signage, public bathrooms, lots of English spoken, good tourism infrastructure and public transportation, friendly people, excellent food, good shopping, wonderful museums ........but also very expensive though how much you choose to spend while in port if discretionary.

Yes, we love travel in any of the Nordic countries. Never felt crowded either, nor did we find any typical tourist hassling anywhere in Scandinavia - we have done multiple trips into this area for years. Always willing to do back - mainly because one can relax and not be "on guard" while visiting these countries. (Russia and other Baltic countries is another story)

My trip would be the Zuiderdam July 31 - Copenhagen-two Scottish ports - Iceland - Faeroe Isl. and Shetland Isl - Copenhagen. Still debating as a solo traveler but should probably decide soon!! :confused:

• 2 weeks later...

I’m looking at going on the Zuiderdam July 2019 outnof Copenhagen. This would be 2 weeks (the longest cruise I will have taken to date) and includes Iceland, Faroe and Shetland Islands. Any suggestions on room type? A verandah seems too pricey since airfare will be expensive. I’m thinking an inside or ocean view.

We will be on the Zuiderdam just after this cruise. I will be traveling with a friend. I will be joining the solo travelers group on board. I joined the solo travelers group on the Zaandam and made some excellent news friends.