Accessible Transport and Excursion, Nassau / Atlantis HELP

TwoGuysPBC

We are taking my 78 yr old mother on her FIRST cruise this summer on the newly refurbished Mariner of the Seas to Nassau and Cocco Cay. She has only experienced these locations through our pictures and videos. I would love to show her Atlantis but I am very concerned with the availability and access for wheelchairs. She is very able to walk and climb small amounts of stairs but due to her COPD and Oxygen requirements we try to reserve her energy for the big things. We will be bringing a collapsible transport wheelchair for her for traversing the ship as well as any possible port exploration or excursion. I have been in email communication with RCI to understand the accessible requirements onboard and I understand that they have an accessible excursions dept. as well.

Has anyone contracted a private accessible transport to Atlantis for just the 2 hr tour of the Dig and the property? Did you experience any accessible issues? My preliminary research is showing upwards of $200 from port to Atlantis before the actual Tour Excursion costs. The availability of transport from RCI seems to be extremely limited and I do not want her waiting on the pier for hours for accessible transport to and FROM Atlantis. Any recommendations or lessons learned is greatly appreciated, We want this experience to be amazing for her.

Not sure I will be of much help, but have docked at Nassau many times. I have also stayed at Atlantis. I am not sure what the $200 is for as far as transportation. Atlantis is actually on Paradise Island connected by a bridge to the mainland/Nassau town area.

When you dock in Nassau you could have a walk to town - for a wheelchair - it depends on the pier or berth that the ship comes in to. You could be right there, or a long pier away. Most people have no problem and if you were pushing the wheelchair you would be fine.

You could then take a taxi, or even a water taxi, to Atlantis. It's literally right there. Cabs just cross the bridge - very short ride. When I stayed at Atlantis we walked the bridge a few times, or took a water taxi. I know you wouldn't want to walk pushing a wheelchair, but I can't imagine paying $200 to get there.

Water taxi is easiest for most people but be aware they pack people in the launches pretty tight. If you do a taxi across bridge allow plenty of time - traffic is horrible and bridge backs up. Not sure of current prices, as it has been a few years since I did this, but I seem to remember water taxi being $5 per person and regular taxi about $15 per cab.

Thank you so much for your advice Grandma Dazzles! We too have been to Atlantis a few times but always had transport as part of an excursion. I was looking into a private wheelchair accessible van service but as I research more, a cab or water taxi does sound like it would work just fine. I also will contact RCI accessible excursions to confirm their buses can accommodate a chair.

You can also just catch a taxi at the port going to Paradise Island as well as a taxi back to the port from Atlantis and skip going through the cruise line. $5/pp 1 way.

Think that is exactly what we are going to do. Thanks for the advice!