World Cruise - Solo Style!

pomcruise

I’m planning to do a solo world cruise (30 to 40 days) near the end of 2020 for my 50th. I’m looking at Princess or Holland America at this time. I hope to find the right cruise and book it in 2019

You're likely looking for what cruise lines call "segments" or "grand voyages" which are different parts of a world cruise. An actual world cruise is just what it says - it goes all the way around the world, taking anywhere from 90-180 days. Segments are often 14-35 day portions. Sometimes the segments are published later than the world cruise. Hope you find a fun segment!

This is a great group. I often cruise solo and have been thinking about doing a world cruise for my 50th in 2020.

I also have thought about doing a world cruise for my 50th in 2020. Last year, I thoroughly enjoyed two four-week long cruises on Fred.Olsen Cruise Lines, and I would lean toward doing the world cruise on them.

I was on the Black Watch for one of those cruises. This year, that ship is doing two world cruises, including one that leaves Southampton in November and is in Sydney, Australia, for the New Year!

Also, FOCL's world cruise or grand voyage fares can be significantly lower than other lines.

In case you're wondering, I'm not British and I'm under 50 years old, making me in the distinct minority on FOCL. While I understand others who might not want to be on a ship almost completely made up of people from the UK over 60, it was a non-issue for me. My fellow passengers were interesting and interested. I thought they were great, and I would prefer to cruise with that demographic than with some other demographics.

Edited by jlajr

I also have thought about doing a world cruise for my 50th in 2020. Last year, I thoroughly enjoyed two four-week long cruises on Fred.Olsen Cruise Lines, and I would lean toward doing the world cruise on them.

I was on the Black Watch for one of those cruises. This year, that ship is doing two world cruises, including one that leaves Southampton in November and is in Sydney, Australia, for the New Year!

Also, FOCL's world cruise or grand voyage fares can be significantly lower than other lines.

In case you're wondering, I'm not British and I'm under 50 years old, making me in the distinct minority on FOCL. While I understand others who might not want to be on a ship almost completely made up of people from the UK over 60, it was a non-issue for me. My fellow passengers were interesting and interested. I thought they were great, and I would prefer to cruise with that demographic than with some other demographics.

I did the world cruise on Cunard in 2016 of 120 days and when I was 54, the older demographics didn't bother me a bit I met some fantastic people and had amazing experiences. In fact, I'd say that trip was one of the highlights of my life so far and Im planning to do it again in 2019.

My advice to anyone is that it will never be cheaper than it is today and do it now while you are still young enough and able enough to enjoy it....

• 4 weeks later...
Bassett Mom,

When I've done mock solo bookings, HAL's pricing for singles always beats out the competition.

Roz

I did a mock booking for a solo and the price came back at 200% of the per person rate based on the 2pp cabin rate. Am I doing some thing wrong here.?? Should I be talking to a TA??

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

BassettMom, be sure if you do Oceania that you try out that specific ship. They have two classes of ships so try that one or the sister one.

I am not being negative because I love long world cruises but Oceania's world cruise is the longest of any of them so consider that when you decide. For me a cruise of that length would work but for others it would be too long.

Keith

BassettMom, be sure if you do Oceania that you try out that specific ship. They have two classes of ships so try that one or the sister one.

I am not being negative because I love long world cruises but Oceania's world cruise is the longest of any of them so consider that when you decide. For me a cruise of that length would work but for others it would be too long.

Keith

Following up on Keith's comment..... I am wondering what people feel about the 180 day Oceania world cruise (as opposed to ~110 or so cruise lengths provided by other lines)?

My thinking is that it would be great, and if you are making all of the arrangements to be away from ~110 days, then there would not really be any difference in being away longer, but I wonder what others think.

Following up on Keith's comment..... I am wondering what people feel about the 180 day Oceania world cruise (as opposed to ~110 or so cruise lengths provided by other lines)?

My thinking is that it would be great, and if you are making all of the arrangements to be away from ~110 days, then there would not really be any difference in being away longer, but I wonder what others think.

Many of their world cruisers say how much they loved the length and rebook future O world cruises again.

Keith

Good advice. I would definitely plan to cruise on whatever ship is doing the world cruise before I actually book the world cruise just to be sure the ship is a "good fit".

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk