Tip for weight control

kcpvwill

Just returned from latest Viking Ocean cruise and only gained 1lb in weight despite enjoying lots of wonderful food! Came up with idea of zig-zag walking up to stateroom on deck 8, by alternating fore and aft stairs and walking the length of the ship to get breath back. Stairs down always.

Can't wait for next wonderful trip with Viking!

It definitely works for me. I normally walk at least 90 mins per day before breakfast and nearly always use the stairs, both up and down. Most cruises I can actually lose weight.

On our last WC we had an early morning walking club.

I found that with all the walking we did on our excursions that was enough to keep the pounds at bay for me. I don’t eat sweet things so I guess that helps. Hubby however does have a sweet tooth so he did the laps around the walking deck.

I found that with all the walking we did on our excursions that was enough to keep the pounds at bay for me. I don’t eat sweet things so I guess that helps. Hubby however does have a sweet tooth so he did the laps around the walking deck.

Ok, so which deck is the walking deck? Is jogging ok? Finally, does it get hampered by anything when the ship is in port?

Thanks

Ok, so which deck is the walking deck? Is jogging ok? Finally, does it get hampered by anything when the ship is in port?

Thanks

Deck 2 (Promenade Deck) is 1/4 mile per lap and it has no cabins below, so jogging should be OK. However, it will get tight up fwd. On tender ports, some areas will be closed off, as boats are prepared and lowered.

In port, if the vessel is bunkering from a barge, the off-shore side may be closed.

If Deck 2 is closed for tendering or weather, I will head up to deck 8 around the pool.

Promenade deck on sea days. Stairs everyday. Tons of walking in ports (our London day we logged 10+ miles :')). We are active when we aren’t sailing, so we just stay that way when we are. Then I can indulge more because Viking has way too many temptations to do just that!

Burning calories!!

Always being interested in how to burn calories, this thread caught my eye. Crazy timing but I had just read an article about walking stairs and the amount of calories burned. (Here is the article: http://www.weightymatters.ca/2015/04/climbing-stairs-isnt-about-burning.html?m=1)

About 20 years ago when I started into seriously starting to be in better shape I looked at a chart that described calories burned while doing a bunch of exercises. I found that swimming laps (my favorite aerobic) for about 60 minutes I could lose only enough to eat a Snickers Bar!

Unfortunately, as you will see from the article, in order to be able to break even walking stairs and eating a snickers bar, one would need to climb about 122 flights of stairs (the normal flight consisting of 12 stairs).

The good news is, that you are focusing on the whole picture and eating well as well as getting as much exercise as you can. Actually the best exercise to loose weigh one can do is a 'Push-away'....from the table:D.

BTW & FYI riding a golf cart and playing 9 holes is also a fair trade for a Snickers (I'd rather drink 2 beers!)

I must say my poor little brain can't relate to this thread. I look at a vacation as an excuse to indulge and not worry about calories and weight. I worry about that the rest of the year. Once I get home I get on the scale and whatever weight I have gained I watch my calories and exercise and take it back off. My philosophy is to not hold back and miss out while on vacation and fix any issues after its over. Guess I am just a hedonist.

Jeffrey

I must say my poor little brain can't relate to this thread. I look at a vacation as an excuse to indulge and not worry about calories and weight. I worry about that the rest of the year. Once I get home I get on the scale and whatever weight I have gained I watch my calories and exercise and take it back off. My philosophy is to not hold back and miss out while on vacation and fix any issues after its over. Guess I am just a hedonist.

Jeffrey

Ha! I used to have the same philosophy as you. Our table mates would look at me every night and ask "How can you eat two desserts every night and still be so skinny?" I used to get away with it then! Now that I am (slightly ;p ) older, my body is not so cooperative in shedding any excess holiday weight. These days I indulge in a fruit plate for dessert...

Stair walking and deck walking are fantastic for keeping in shape on board. I think I stay healthier as well staying out of closed spaces like elevators. Less chance of catching something from someone's sneezes.

Jeffrey

This worked well when we were younger and took shorter 7 or 14 day cruises. clear.png?emoji-smile-1742

However, being older now and normally taking longer cruises, it just doesn't work any longer. On our World Cruise we would need 2 sizes of clothes.clear.png?emoji-frown-1741