Dress code

GrandmaHofmann

At the heart of the frequently recurring debate about dress on board Viking ships is the question of jeans, and in warmer weather, shorts. Everything I have read makes it pretty clear to me that those are not acceptable in the Restaurant, Chef's Table, or Manfedi's in the evening. The World Cafe (the buffet) is more flexible on that issue.

The problem is that some people are not willing to accept that answer. I have seem many excuses, from the "but I saw other people doing it" to "but they are really nice dark jeans" to "but my $200 jeans cost more than his Dockers" (really, not kidding!). I have even seen the claim that "since it is only a recommendation, then I can do what I want'.

Pretty much every dress cruise thread over the years I have been following this board usually degenerates into some kind of unpleasantness. As for me, I enjoy a chance for something a little more special than everyday life, so a few leggings and tunic tops, slacks and blouses, and maybe a simple knit dress with a necklace or a scarf are my choices for dinner. My husband will wear khakis in navy or tan with a button down shirt. We save our jeans and tee shirts for daytime or the World Cafe.

If shorts are not acceptable for men, I don't see why leggings are acceptable for women???? They seem like very casual clothing.

Do we all agree that shorts are not ok on Viking? I thought they are casual.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Forums mobile app

Leggings, like jeans, can look appropriate. Or not. All related to fit, shoes, accessories and shirt/jacket.Leggings can be more dressy than poorly fitting, wrinkled khaki pants.

I have worn leggings with a nice silk blouse and dressy sandals ( and pearls) and been fine for any dining venue.

Just please, oh please, do not wear the dreaded cargo capri pants with Keen sandals.

• Like 1

Leggings, like jeans, can look appropriate. Or not. All related to fit, shoes, accessories and shirt/jacket.Leggings can be more dressy than poorly fitting, wrinkled khaki pants.

I have worn leggings with a nice silk blouse and dressy sandals ( and pearls) and been fine for any dining venue.

Just please, oh please, do not wear the dreaded cargo capri pants with Keen sandals.

Viking dress code does suggest that shorts and jeans are OK during the day but not at dinner. If it were up to me, I would ban leggings unless they are also allowed for men.

Aren’t leggings a form of tights worn at the gym, working out, or wearing out on the town?

So, it is ok for men to wear leggings in the evening to dine in the MDR?

Enjoy your cruise.

King

https://shop.lululemon.com/search/men/_/N-7tu?Nrpp=20&Ntt=Leggings

E43D8848-1659-4E68-8D10-AFFF4E7CFE19_zpsbkojav4m.jpeg

Edited by Kingofcool1947

No-leggings are not exercise pants. Although technically the pants I wear to the gym could be called leggings.

But they are not something I would ever wear in public, even to the grocery store.

Leggings that I would wear out in public would be these:

c10e9de8-129e-440a-9237-36196734a2bf

This, I feel, is appropriate for any dining venue, other than Manfredi's or Chef's Table.

Certainly better than capri pants.

And if men want to wear them--fine with me.

• Like 1

Good heavens! Just to make myself clear, when I said that I might wear a tunic with leggings to dinner, I was referring to a long, loose top ( rather like a short dress) with the equivalent of dark stockings underneath. Of course I was not referring to exercise gear with a t-shirt. I cannot imagine that anyone would confuse me in my leggings and tunic with someone who is inappropriately dressed.

• Like 1

Good heavens! Just to make myself clear, when I said that I might wear a tunic with leggings to dinner, I was referring to a long, loose top ( rather like a short dress) with the equivalent of dark stockings underneath. Of course I was not referring to exercise gear with a t-shirt. I cannot imagine that anyone would confuse me in my leggings and tunic with someone who is inappropriately dressed.

I understand what you mean. I have a knee length button down top in a flowery floaty fabric that I team with black leggings and stilettos. It looks very chic!

I think the way to address the dress code is to wear what you would to a good restaurant at home. You wouldn’t go to The Ivy in jeans and a T shirt you’d spruce up a bit.

• Like 1

Not trying to be difficult but I still feel like men only have a few choices of what to wear and women have more.

I understand what you mean. I have a knee length button down top in a flowery floaty fabric that I team with black leggings and stilettos. It looks very chic!

I think the way to address the dress code is to wear what you would to a good restaurant at home. You wouldn’t go to The Ivy in jeans and a T shirt you’d spruce up a bit.

I'm glad someone understood what I meant. I know some women wear leggings (the gym wear kind) out in public, but then some wear pajama bottoms out in public. I would not conceive of doing either of those things. For me, a tunic top is something that I might have worn as a dress 40 years ago, but now seek something more age appropriate. Black leggings and ballet flats with a tunic do the trick.

• Like 1

Not trying to be difficult but I still feel like men only have a few choices of what to wear and women have more.

I get your point, and don't disagree. Personally, if my husband could wear khaki slacks and a blue Oxford button down shirt every evening and jeans with whatever color t-shirt was on the top of the clean laundry pile during the day, he would be a happy traveler. But I realize he may be an anomaly.

I get your point, and don't disagree. Personally, if my husband could wear khaki slacks and a blue Oxford button down shirt every evening and jeans with whatever color t-shirt was on the top of the clean laundry pile during the day, he would be a happy traveler. But I realize he may be an anomaly.

I'll just go with my usual slacks and collared shirt.

The Ivy?

• 2 weeks later...