Pre cruise hotel San Juan

Beachvue

Sheraton Old San Juan is very convenient and we have had ok rooms to really nice suites. Easy walk to anywhere in OSJ. El Convento is a bit more upscale and private. We used to always go to San Juan a day or so early as we like OSJ but our last trip was a real eye opener. There are HUGE new taxes and charges to consider. The price quoted for the room will change..... And not in your favor. Our last room was shown as $305 per night. With NO room service the charge came out to $519 per night!! Just ask in advance what the final price will be. This is a fairly recent change.

We are leaving from San Juan in November and the taxes are high!! Hopefully they are using them to help restore the Island. We are staying at the Sheraton, El Convento was so tempting (about the same cost). but we did use points to book the Sheraton.

Jim, we anxious to be back on a Viking ship but it won't be the same and I hope I can cope not having EVERYTHING included this time!

We are leaving from San Juan in November and the taxes are high!! Hopefully they are using them to help restore the Island. We are staying at the Sheraton, El Convento was so tempting (about the same cost). but we did use points to book the Sheraton.

Jim, we anxious to be back on a Viking ship but it won't be the same and I hope I can cope not having EVERYTHING included this time!

Hi Dee,

We seriously miss it too. We are pulling the trigger on another one when we return from Alaska. Already spoken with Barrett (our Viking guy) and are ready to go. We figure we can sell the house and live in the car between cruises.........:eek: Would love to sail with Y'all again.:cool:

Hi Dee,

We seriously miss it too. We are pulling the trigger on another one when we return from Alaska. Already spoken with Barrett (our Viking guy) and are ready to go. We figure we can sell the house and live in the car between cruises.........:eek: Would love to sail with Y'all again.:cool:

Jim - are you thinking about another WC?

We stayed at the Sheraton OSJ pre-cruise in March. We had a basic traditional room. It viewed a parking deck and was pretty tired, although clean and the staff was lovely.

I can't complain as we booked via Priceline and it was an Express Deal so we knew we would get a crap room.

Location was perfect though, and for a pre-cruise night it worked since we could walk across the street to the port. That was a nice plus and our main reason for booking.

I would seriously consider upgrading to a suite or at least a deluxe room with a view if I were to use this hotel again.

We are sailing with Deec late November, and We narrowed it down to Sheraton Old San Juan and El Convento. Sheraton is closer to the ship for sure. We decided to go with El Convento as the price difference was very small and it has such Incredible reviews. We will spend two nights there. If it were just for one night we probably would have gone with convenience. The taxes and prices are pretty ridiculous. It was rather shocking. Way higher than last year. Agree with Dee that hopefully these increases are going towards the greater good.

Yes. Someone please stop me........:eek:

THis is “Beachvue” ( Carol). Noticed that you been booking directly trough Viking. Have been using a Travel agency but considering going direct. Have you been satisfied with their service?

THis is “Beachvue” ( Carol). Noticed that you been booking directly trough Viking. Have been using a Travel agency but considering going direct. Have you been satisfied with their service?

Hi Carol,

Just saw your post. Sorry to be late to the party.:cool: Yes, we booked directly with "our guy" at Viking. Once all was set we transferred to our long time TA for ongoing administration. Seemed to work well. I always figure out just what I want then work it out with the cruise line. If it is a short notice booking I usually leave it at that. Still waiting for the Upgrade Fairy to pay me a visit. :cool:

• 3 weeks later...