Viking Business class air

zitsky

Two minor negatives for me concerning Viking Air. One, I still had to pay an additional $49 per person for transfers on the departure day, despite leaving the final day of the cruise. I did pay it because the airport is not near the port. I understand about arriving a day early and thus no transfer. We will get ourselves to the ship. But the last day is not a deviation, so it seems like I should not be charged. I not much in the overall cost of the cruise plus air, but a pet peeve of mine.

Unless they have just changed the rules, that does not sound right. The last time we did a deviation on one leg but not the other, we were not charged for transfers on the non-deviating leg. Same when we just booked, coming in early but leaving directly from the ship, no charge for transfers on the non-deviating leg. Try contacting the folks at tellus@vikingcruises.com and see if they can shed some light on the subject (include your booking number and a phone number).

On upcoming flights to San Juan, We paid the $49pp to be able to choose flights, plus $100pp to fly in early, plus add on fees to get the exact flights we needed for the bus service to be operating at the departure and arrival times out of SFO. We upgraded our seats on 2 of 4 legs directly with airline. We depart the day the cruise ends in San Juan. No extra fee and transfers included. I would clarify with Viking on that piece.

I just checked my updated statement from last week. Even after I added the air component it still says "Departure Transfer (Optional) $49 for each of us. I'll call Viking and see what they say.

Hi,

Did you find out anything different from Viking? I'm in the same situation in September. When I booked, I asked my TA if I would get the transfers at the end of my trip even though I didn't use them at the beginning. Her answer was, "Of course!" So I didn't think anything more about it until your post.

Cynthia

I sent an email to "tell us" and although I did not receive a personal email response, I did receive an updated invoice and the departure transfer is now included. All is well and I will definitely contact Viking this way in the future if I have any issues.

We use Viking Air Plus, but we generally have deviations on both ends. I have no problem arranging our own transportation. I really don’t see the need for getting Viking transfers unless you don’t travel often and feel uncomfortable.

For our Rhine Cruise, we flew into Amsterdam early and booked our own hotel. We asked the hotel if they could arrange something. They had a driver meet us at the airport, inside the terminal with a sign. We picked up our luggage, went through customs and he was waiting outside. He took the bags, we had a short walk to his Mercedes and a lovely ride to the hotel. Cost was 80€ - roughly $90. Viking charges $49pp.

At the end of the cruise we did the extension through Viking, so transfers were included. It was nice, but I didn’t see the big advantage.

For our West Indies Explorer, we didn’t do air or an extension with Viking. San Juan airport had a very good taxi system. It cost us $25 plus tip.

Cab from the hotel to the ship was a bit less because we were closer. The hotel called us a cab. Getting off the ship, there were cabs waiting. Easy Peasy.

We aren’t worrying about transfers for our Grand European. Our TA is making arrangements for airport to hotel, and we will have the hotel call us a cab for the ship

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I sent an email to "tell us" and although I did not receive a personal email response, I did receive an updated invoice and the departure transfer is now included. All is well and I will definitely contact Viking this way in the future if I have any issues.

Thanks for getting back to us. I am relaxing again.

Cynthia

• 4 weeks later...
If you use Air Plus to book either business or premium economy, are you able to select seats at the time of booking with Viking, as you would if booking directly?

Our experience has been yes and no. Yes for flights that are in the US, but international flights (at least ours) they did not have any seating firmed up yet and that will be done closer to the date of departure...I think they said 60 days out. We were told that the airline does not know exactly which plane they will be using until closer the date.

I was able to secure my Business class seats BOS-ZUR on SWISSAIR when I booked the bus airfare 100 days out. I agree that if the specific aircraft is TBD, no way to book specific seats.

Warning: Viking Air put us in a seat with no windows. Clueless. I fixed it.

You may be able to get premium economy which is far superior to economy for long flights. I just booked 1 way premium economy from South America for half the price of business but had to go through the viking special air ($50 fee)

Sent from my SM-T813 using Forums mobile app

Hi loge23, we are on the same cruise! :) What airline you are flying back home and where is home? :) Did you booked round trip with Viking or only from South America? So many questions....

When I booked my flights previously mentioned in this thread, I was able to select my seats while I was on the phone with the Viking Air rep. I was looking at seat availably on my computer for my flights and just told her what I wanted. This was nine months out and in business class.

I need help with airlines names flying from Argentina. Could anyone suggest what airline is good. Unfortunately I'm not familiar with airlines I see in my searches. We will be flying from Buenos Aires to Washington preferably business. Would appreciate you help. Thank you.

I need help with airlines names flying from Argentina. Could anyone suggest what airline is good. Unfortunately I'm not familiar with airlines I see in my searches. We will be flying from Buenos Aires to Washington preferably business. Would appreciate you help. Thank you.

United flies to/from Argentina. I take them in December. What airlines are you looking at?

United flies to/from Argentina. I take them in December. What airlines are you looking at?

I did a KAYAK search and it had Avianca, COPA, etc. I've never heard of them. United business is very expensive on the best route :(

I did a KAYAK search and it had Avianca, COPA, etc. I've never heard of them. United business is very expensive on the best route :(

Viking Air can be cheaper than the price United charges. I think it's $3995 for business class.

What price are you finding for United?

Viking Air can be cheaper than the price United charges. I think it's $3995 for business class.

What price are you finding for United?

Is this price p/p or total for two?

The most direct route was $7000+pp! The cheapest was $2234 pp operated by Ethiopian and COPA airlines - very long flight with long layovers :(

Is this price p/p or total for two?

The most direct route was $7000+pp! The cheapest was $2234 pp operated by Ethiopian and COPA airlines - very long flight with long layovers :(

Viking Air $3990 actually per person from Raleigh to Europe roundtrip.

Is it possible to talk to the Viking Air department to get an estimate or do you have a travel agent to help you?

Edited by zitsky

Viking Air $3990 actually per person from Raleigh to Europe roundtrip.

Is it possible to talk to the Viking Air department to get an estimate or do you have a travel agent to help you?

Yeah, this is expensive. We flew Lufthansa business to Barcelona and Icelandair business back home from Bergen for $5,200 with one stop only and 2 hours layovers.

I have found this quite a handy tool to look at routings, you can't book with it direct (but should give you

enough information for either a TA or Viking to make a booking if anything comes up that's of interest)

https://matrix.itasoftware.com

Flights are booked and we are very happy with them. Business both ways, nonstop to Miami, one stop on a way back from Buenos Aires. We used Air Plus and the seats are already assigned. Very happy! Oh, the flights are on AA.

Thank you again for your help :D