Safe topics for dinner?

Nippy Sweetie

It's likely that we'll be meeting lots of new people at the various meals during our forthcoming cruise.

We usually try to keep quiet until we get to know our companions better. However, we were quite shocked on our last river cruise when on our first night a couple at the table introduced an extremely controversial subject and assumed that we were in complete agreement. We were not. Then another guest at the table proceeded to 'nuke' the offender with facts and figures. All in all it was a most uncomfortable meal and we ended up avoiding all our table mates for the rest of the cruise.

We always used to talk about previous cruises in an attempt to find some shared experiences to talk about but have then been told that we were 'showing off'!

So what's a good way to start chatting? Obviously not political views or previous cruises?

Never had any issue with folks discussing cruises. It is one of the fun topics where I learn from experienced cruisers, unless of course a boor monopolizes the conversation lecturing at length or someone becomes argumentative in response. Point being it's not that topic, it's the people involved. Solution: do as you did, avoid seating with boors, know-it-alls and argumentative folks from then on.

Politics should never be discussed. Now more than ever because too many folks are more off the rails. We had the misfortune of our 1st night Homelands cruise restaurant window Table for 2 being next to a table of 6 who loudly sneered their believed superiority over their "friends" who held views similar to ours.

I thought political discussion was forbidden here on Cruise Critic, but I ventured into the Silversea Water Cooler forum and it was rife with an echo chamber of posts by folks like we encountered at the Viking restaurant.

Surprisingly, even with my lack of self control I have always successfully restrained myself arguing topics of mostly science & engineering bent where folks proclaim unwarranted expertise. We're on a cruise, not a HS debating team or a college lecture hall.

We had a similar experience in 2008 on a Holland America Transatlantic. One fellow decided he knew more than others and wished to educate them as to politics, finance, the stateroom not being up to his expectation, the service etc. We quickly learned his table was usually available to join, but we refused. Better to avoid those folks. I can become abrupt with people like that. Luckily, it seems to be the exception, not the rule and most conversations are fun and enlightening.

Our next cruise is our first with Viking and the open seating will be an interesting change for us, as on all previous cruises we always opted for traditional seating. Since our next cruise is the 2020 WC, we may have the 1st night dinner discussions many times.

We have found that the first few nights of a cruise usually incur the usual small talk subjects, trying to find common subjects - where are you from, working/retired, occupations, pre-cruise excursions, previous cruises, plans for upcoming ports, sports teams, etc.

Of all cruises completed, we only experienced issues at dinner once and it was mainly around language, as we were the only couple with English as a first language. It was a 16 night cruise and admit discussion was challenging, but we all worked at it and thoroughly enjoyed the dinners. Fortunately, at least 1 of the other couples spoke some English, so conversation frequently included other languages.

We have had similar experiences at open seating breakfast/lunch as the OP, we just note the offenders and ensure for the remainder of the cruise we don't enter the restaurant at the same time, as we always request a sharing table.

One of the reasons we tried Viking was to avoid the fixed dining times and tables. We have been both lucky and unlucky with table mates on previous cruises. Maybe this time we'll meet a wider range of people. I do prefer to share a table and really enjoy meeting a wide range of them rather than being stuck with the same 6 or 8 people for every meal.

I hope we'll become expert at rapidly assessing potential new table mates and identifying appropriate conversational starters!

LOL - we are traveling with family on our Viking cruise. Now there is a situation replete with potential drama and upsetting discussion. :cool:

The worst situation we ever had was on a cruise with traditional dining. We asked for a table of eight.

Unfortunately, one couple were born again evangelicals, complete with Bible on the table, who wanted to start each meal with a lengthy grace and "witness" to us.

That was nipped in the bud very rapidly by me (I grew up in that environment and can shut it down with a few choice words).

Blimey Homosassa! Nightmare! We've had a drunk woman who'd lurch up an hour late and we'd all have to wait for our next course while she caught up, a very nice but profoundly deaf couple and an outstandingly boring couple who enjoyed discussing their favourite washing machines and dishwashers. All on the same table. Equally, on another cruise, we've had a great time with another set of table mates and mealtimes became the highlight of the cruise.

Fingers crossed for 2nd June!

Have to admit that meeting and dining with different people is one of the reasons we enjoy cruising so much. I always try to remember that we were born with one mouth and two ears, therefore listen more than you speak! Love to hear about other peoples travels and experiences.

Have to admit that meeting and dining with different people is one of the reasons we enjoy cruising so much. I always try to remember that we were born with one mouth and two ears, therefore listen more than you speak! Love to hear about other peoples travels and experiences.

I agree wholeheartedly. Our first cruise was traditional dining and we chose to sit at a table of 8. The first evening was a little subdued as it seemed that some of our fellow diners were not at ease with the rest of us. After a few days we all relaxed and friendships were made. In fact one couple sitting at a table for two nearby were envious of the fun our table seemed to be having.

I could never be quiet at the dinner table but I would listen more than I speak on the first night. That way I would quickly make up my mind if I wanted to be friends with the people around me.

Being Scottish, we have found that Americans, Canadians and other nationalities have sought us out on the ship and invited us to dine with them. Politics and religion are not good icebreakers but showing interest in the views of others, even if you don't agree with them, will get you through to the end of the meal.

Oh no, we’ve never been on a cruise before and this is something else to navigate! Maybe we can talk about the royal wedding!

I’m already fretting about having to get up too early to go on excursions, what to pack, what to wear to dinner, where to eat, what to drink, where to exercise to counteract all that. I hope it’s worth it!

Nippy Sweetie, I think you are on the same Viking Homelands as us on 2 June. I promise not to be controversial at dinner if we do get sat by you.

Oh no, we’ve never been on a cruise before and this is something else to navigate! Maybe we can talk about the royal wedding!

I’m already fretting about having to get up too early to go on excursions, what to pack, what to wear to dinner, where to eat, what to drink, where to exercise to counteract all that. I hope it’s worth it!

Nippy Sweetie, I think you are on the same Viking Homelands as us on 2 June. I promise not to be controversial at dinner if we do get sat by you.

OH, BeeD,

You will have a wonderful first cruise on the Viking Ocean ship. You will be spoiled by the best crew and discover the delights of ship life.

Do sign up for the meet and mingle on your roll call page.

At it you will meet so many happy fun people who are all on vacation like you,some very experienced and others first time cruisers.

You can do whatever strikes your fancy. Enjoy each dinner and the interesting passengers you will share a table with if you want. And they will be interested in you too.

I aways order room service breakfast on the first morning before my first port day excursion and sit on my balcony

and realize that my long awaited cruise is now a reality.

I smile and toast the day!!!!!!!!:*

Anytime Dining is a good option ... rather than having to have dinner with the same folks every night. ;)
OCruisers, there's no such thing as 'Anytime Dining" on Viking. It's open seating. When you check in for dinner you merely tell the host/hostess of you want a table for two or a table to join other people. I suppose if you wanted to dine with the same people every night, you could, but it would have to be by mutual consent.

NippieSweetie, as long as you don't mention St. Petersburg to your fellow diners, you should be good to go. [emoji6]

Sent from my SM-G960U using Forums mobile app

Also two nations divided by a common language - England and Scotland.

Had a lovely afternoon in glorious Greenwich watching the splendid Royal Wedding on a big screen with many hundreds of cheering people including lots and lots of tourists from all over the world. Mind you the Cup Final (Football/soccer) was rubbish.

Just don’t mention the “j” word. Speaking of the common language, I was going to suggest a chat about bonnets, boots and biscuits!

Back to the subject at hand, I think the best advice offered so far, especially at the beginning of the cruise, is to listen more than speak.

I'll practise my 'fascinated' facial expression!

Sometimes in the past when I had to go to social events related to DH's niche interest I'd set myself secret target words to try to get people to say. I'd award myself points for them. At the end of the evening I'd been able to amuse myself and DH was told by his friends that he was very lucky that his wife was so interested in his hobby.

I'm sure I won't have to resort to that though!!

Avoid talking about religion or politics.

Ask engaging questions to learn more about your table mates.

Obvious questions would be why they chose this cruise, what are they hoping to do in each port, what do they like about the ship so far, etc.

What food are they looking forward to on board and in port? What book are they reading right now? Those are topics that usually get discussions going. Food/cooking is pretty universal—most of us love eating.

I avoid asking what someone does for work since that is a very American thing to ask and is considered rude by many non-Americans.

• 1 month later...

I never discuss religion or politics on a cruise if I can avoid doing so, but there are a couple of exceptions: If I know that my interlocutor(s) and I are on the same political page, I'm open to conversations in which we celebrate or mourn the latest developments in US politics. And I'm open to political talk with Europeans and other nationalities about politics, on the grounds that I don't have a dog in their fights and nor they in mine. As to religion, my views would probably offend a great many people, and just as I don't want to be evangelized by them, they won't be and don't want to be persuaded by me. There are plenty of people out there whose knowledge and wisdom are, I am convinced, inferior to mine; they undoubtedly think the same of me. As Robert Heinlein put it, "Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and it annoys the pig."

All my cruises have been open seating, and we like to meet new people at dinner. I find a table for 8 too big, since you can't really have conversations that include everybody. Six is ideal.

Politics and religion are taboo for us, especially since as Canadians, we have to bite our tongues right now. Sexual orientation is also taboo as far as I'm concerned--we were travelling with a gay friend once, dining at a large table, and someone came out with a gay slur, not knowing our friend was gay. It was profoundly embarrassing, although we didn't call them out for it, nor did he.

But I admit I hate the endless discussions of who has travelled where, on what boat. Gets really boring. Find another topic folks!

On all our previous cruises we’ve enjoyed a table for 2, with the exception of accidentally being placed on a big table for just one meal. That was awful.

When we sit down eat, that is what we want to do; quioamd calmly and happily.

We don’t wish to discuss politics, sec, finance, previous holidays, our lifestyle or personal beliefs/opinions with strangers. I sure as anything don’t wish to have to put up with any of that being reported to me by some stranger in their vain attempt to try impress. There’s nothing worse.

Similarly we don’t wish to disclose our plans for our activities during a cruise; there’s always the risk of getting limbered

On all our previous cruises we’ve enjoyed a table for 2, with the exception of accidentally being placed on a big table for just one meal. That was awful.

When we sit down eat, that is what we want to do; quioamd calmly and happily.

We don’t wish to discuss politics, sec, finance, previous holidays, our lifestyle or personal beliefs/opinions with strangers. I sure as anything don’t wish to have to put up with any of that being reported to me by some stranger in their vain attempt to try impress. There’s nothing worse.

Similarly we don’t wish to disclose our plans for our activities during a cruise; there’s always the risk of getting limbered

Agree. Tables for two, especially when you can exchange pleasantries with table of 2 next to you are our ideal dinner arrangement. Or perhaps a table of four if you have met "new friends". We never mind joining people at lunch time in the buffet area but the thought of the same table of 8 random people every night for 14 nights fills me with horror. One reason we love the Viking open seating concept.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I never discuss religion or politics on a cruise if I can avoid doing so, but there are a couple of exceptions: If I know that my interlocutor(s) and I are on the same political page, I'm open to conversations in which we celebrate or mourn the latest developments in US politics. And I'm open to political talk with Europeans and other nationalities about politics, on the grounds that I don't have a dog in their fights and nor they in mine. As to religion, my views would probably offend a great many people, and just as I don't want to be evangelized by them, they won't be and don't want to be persuaded by me. There are plenty of people out there whose knowledge and wisdom are, I am convinced, inferior to mine; they undoubtedly think the same of me. As Robert Heinlein put it, "Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and it annoys the pig."

I think perhaps we would enjoy being seated at your table! We also have often had interesting small group discussions about politics on cruises, but you do have to dip your toe in the water carefully to test the water before diving in. Should the water be chilly, we can happily find other topics of conversation.