Self-service laundry on Viking Ocean

aungrl

Does anyone know how the machines work in terms of detergent in the self-service laundry rooms on VO? On my only Viking cruise so far back in January, it was only 8 days, so no need to figure out laundry. September cruise will be 15 days. Specifically, how does the detergent work? Is it pre-dispensed into the machines? Anything else I should know? Thanks!

On the Star it was automatic but my tip of the day is to always check to see if the soap is being dispensed.. Many of us did loads one night only to find out that there was a problem and we were not getting soap. Thankfully, my husband helps me so he was able to fix it. (easy fix)

Ah, thanks! The second thread was exactly the one I needed. Your answer there that it’s automatic on the Star, but you can choose it or not on the Sea, was what I was looking for. I was expecting it to be standard on every ship, as so many things are. We’re sailing on the Sea, so knowing specifically how the washers on the Sea work is what I was looking for. Appreciate the links!

“but you can choose it it not”

No, the soap is specifically for those machines. Passengers are discouraged from using their own. If you are concerned about allergic reactions, there are other posts saying that is not a problem. We were on the Sea - had minimal trouble finding how to dispense the soap and got clean clothes. Read all the threads for further help. Sometimes there are questions you don’t know you should ask! ;-)

Agree: check other threads. Usually a line up for access to machines, so start doing laundry before you actually “need” it. We did self-laundry, but also the ship laundry- very quick and well-done. No problems with shrinkage and all hung on hangers. Figured our time worth more than cost of time sitting in the laundry room and worrying about scorching clothes with iron.

Agree: check other threads. Usually a line up for access to machines, so start doing laundry before you actually “need” it. We did self-laundry, but also the ship laundry- very quick and well-done. No problems with shrinkage and all hung on hangers. Figured our time worth more than cost of time sitting in the laundry room and worrying about scorching clothes with iron.

That’s my worry - clothes coming back shrunk. I’m glad to hear that wasn’t a problem. I know the cost on Viking is pretty reasonable...on prior cruises on other lines, I pretty much stopped using the ship laundry because at least one item - usually more - came back unwearable.

“but you can choose it it not”

No, the soap is specifically for those machines. Passengers are discouraged from using their own. If you are concerned about allergic reactions, there are other posts saying that is not a problem. We were on the Sea - had minimal trouble finding how to dispense the soap and got clean clothes. Read all the threads for further help. Sometimes there are questions you don’t know you should ask! ;-)

Okay, this does prompt another question...what about fabric softener sheets? If we should use the provided detergent - which is fine, no worries on that from my perspective - is it okay to put a Bounce or similar sheet into the dryers? (I did review as many threads as I could find and didn’t see this anywhere, so apologies if I missed it.)

Okay, this does prompt another question...what about fabric softener sheets? If we should use the provided detergent - which is fine, no worries on that from my perspective - is it okay to put a Bounce or similar sheet into the dryers? (I did review as many threads as I could find and didn’t see this anywhere, so apologies if I missed it.)

Good question! New question, too. As far as I know, it has not been asked so far. Curious to know the answer.

As for using the Viking laundry services, I've use it on three river cruises and three ocean cruises and have never had a problem with anything that I sent out. Maybe it is because everything I bring has been machine washed multiple times and simple can't shrink any further. Also, I always ask that my things be washed in cold water and maybe they do, but who knows.

BTW, if you are doing self-serve, bring a couple of lingerie bags to put the small items into when you wash them. Saves having to chase them around the washer (and the dryer). Also good for stocking or tights (which I do wear on winter cruises); there was a warning on the washer last time we sailed about them.

I take a baggie with softener sheets, so I’m set.

Agree with Peregrina- take the mesh bags for more delicate things. I use the clothes line in the shower and hang things to dry. I’m very leery of the irons in the laundry room (too much burnt residue on some) so I might send something to be pressed if I can’t get away with wearing a sweater.

Plus, if you’re vertically challenged like me, the mesh bags help you retrieve the small things from the dryer. I haven’t seen anything re not using dryer sheets. I used them - easy to fold up into a zip lock bag. And if you leave a little corner of the bag open it makes your suitcase smell nice.

Plus, if you’re vertically challenged like me, the mesh bags help you retrieve the small things from the dryer. I haven’t seen anything re not using dryer sheets. I used them - easy to fold up into a zip lock bag. And if you leave a little corner of the bag open it makes your suitcase smell nice.

I'm vertically challenged as well and I just avoid using the dryer altogether. A stool in the laundry room would be a nice addition. :D

Please, if you have to use a dryer sheet, use the unscented/sensitive skin variety, just in case the next person in line is allergic to fragrances or any of the ingredients.TIA.

• Like 1

Those are both great tips re unscented dryer sheets, and mesh bags. I always wear tights on cold weather cruises, and at only 5’1”, I’m getting a clear picture that I need those mesh bags for sure. We just got our trip documents today, and I noticed that laundry and dry cleaning are included this time. SO....I think I’m probably going to “risk” it and send out whatever falls into your category of “washed so many times they can’t shrink it any further”, Peregrina. And now I feel more prepared to handle the self-service laundry for anything else. Thanks, all!

Those are both great tips re unscented dryer sheets, and mesh bags. I always wear tights on cold weather cruises, and at only 5’1”, I’m getting a clear picture that I need those mesh bags for sure. We just got our trip documents today, and I noticed that laundry and dry cleaning are included this time. SO....I think I’m probably going to “risk” it and send out whatever falls into your category of “washed so many times they can’t shrink it any further”, Peregrina. And now I feel more prepared to handle the self-service laundry for anything else. Thanks, all!

I use the laundry bags to pack a complete change of underwear and an extra shirt for each of us and carry it in my "personal" item/handbag. That way if my luggage is delayed (should I be forced to check it), I am at least not standing in front of the washing machine in a just white robe while I wait for my only clothing to be washed and dried. :o

I like these the best because nothing gets caught in the mesh:

15241517449419p?hei=2000&wid=2000&qlt=50,1

While some with allergies have reported that they had no trouble with the soap, it might be best to ask Viking directly. It may depend on which ship you’re on. Reportedly, there are two types of machines - one dispenses the soap automatically, with others you have to push a button on the wall to send the soap to the machine. That’s the type we had on the Sea.

I’m allergic to the sudsing agent in most laundry detergents. If I bring my own, will I be able to dispense it, eliminating the provided detergent?

Since you know exactly what it is that you are allergic to, you can contact Viking at tellus@vikingcruises.com and ask them if their detergent contains the allergen.