Good news for tea lovers

antsp

Just got off the Diamond in Japan a couple of weeks ago, kettles were in the Stateroom so it’s nothing to do with the Sapphire being in Southampton. They are not large kettles just enough for 2 mugs, sited by the telephone. Great idea.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Fair point! Wasn't aware of the P&O situation. I don't doubt that the day will come, (if it isn't here already) when kettles cross the line that separates irons from refrigerators. Every hotel room in the world has some level of crappy coffee maker in it. Just tell the stewards to unplug it each day when they clean the room. (I always unplug the coffee maker in my hotel room if it isn't already unplugged when I check in.)

I don’t understand your reason for unplugging the coffee maker

I don’t understand your reason for unplugging the coffee maker

Many coffee makers are of limited quality. Clients, I have with a hotel say they find numerous every year that are “malfunctioning”. This might not be the posters reason, but it is my reason.

Is the Sapphire currently sailing out of the UK? If so, that's probably why. Once it leaves, the kettles will disappear.

Sapphire's been in Southampton since May, so why only put them in rooms now?

Sent from my VFD 900 using Tapatalk

Maybe because the majority of cruisers are tea drinkers on this sailing and they do not want to be overwhelmed with room service requests or long lines in the IC for just hot water.

I am sure most of us have been on more than one cruise where "things" have been adjusted to the clientele that is cruising that particular itinerary.

I was on a ship once where no requests for morning items were honored on our deck as Room service was to overwhelmed. They just simply left the tags on the cabin doors.

Edited by land lover

We did an Asian cruise on the Sapphire in 2015 and there were kettles in the room.

We are boarding the Majestic in Shanghai in a couple of weeks and the videos I have seen while it has been in Asia shows kettles in the rooms, I bet they won't be there for the cruise back to Sydney:(

All modern electric kettles have an automatic shutoff. Well, one's sold in the UK do.

And here in US as well.

Few Americans have ever seen or used an electric kettle, also it seems to be necessary to call it an electric tea kettle here.

However they are slowly gaining popularity with Walmart stocking several versions, at least in Florida where I reside.

Of course with only 110volt electricity they are slower to boil compared to UK ones on 220volt, they don't seem to have found out how to fix that problem.

I can't imagine life without my electric kettle at home.

It would be good to have boiling water for making tea, not just hot water which is absolutely no good for it.

We have no desire to have a kettle in our cabin. I can't imagine the cost if Princess had to put a kettle in every cabin. :rolleyes::eek:

We have never used the coffee or tea making products available in any hotel we have stayed at. When I'm on vacation I want to have someone serve me my tea or coffee.

In UK you can buy a basic electric kettle retail for about 5 pounds if you look around in ASDA or somewhere.

In US here in our local Walmart they start at $10.88.

Not expensive.

We did an Asian cruise on the Sapphire in 2015 and there were kettles in the room.

We are boarding the Majestic in Shanghai in a couple of weeks and the videos I have seen while it has been in Asia shows kettles in the rooms, I bet they won't be there for the cruise back to Sydney:(

But I wonder if you requested one from your attendant if you would be provided with one?

Just come off the Royal based at Southampton like Sapphire but no kettle. It would have been great to have one, its one of the things I like about P&O being able to make a cup of tea when I like.

We are going on MSC next month and they have put kettles in the cabins for the British passengers and even asked them to vote on which brand of tea bags should be supplied.

I know you can get room service but the jug of hot water they bring isnt hot enough,it needs to be boiling to make a decent brew. Also most times we ordered tea the jug was labled decaffeinated coffee (they said there was a shortage of hot water jugs) so tasted odd. Oh, and the milk is awful too.[emoji13]

Sent from my SM-T580 using Forums mobile app

Many coffee makers are of limited quality. Clients, I have with a hotel say they find numerous every year that are “malfunctioning”. This might not be the posters reason, but it is my reason.

Exactly. Most coffee makers that I see in hotel rooms have seen better days. An unplugged machine can do no harm.

• 2 weeks later...

Just off the Sapphire and can confirm they have put the kettles in all cabins.

Also Tetley tea bags and Maxwell house coffee.

They said they had listened to feedback and had decided to put them in all the rooms.

I'd say though that they will only be there while she sails from the UK.

Jules

lawyers lining up for when the first kid gets a burn from the boiling water..by pulling the kettle off the counter...

might as well add irons , too...:rolleyes:

If a parent is that irresponsible...well. Most parents know that hot water can burn small children. But do most parents know that sitting in the Piazza with a cup of coffee or hot tea and spilled accidentally on an infant or small child also causes burns?

I used to work in a trauma hospital, on a burn unit. It was sad to see babies and toddlers brought in with serious burns requiring hospitalization due to pulling a hot cup of coffee down on themselves or mom holding baby and spilling it on them