Just back from Panama Canal cruise on Coral Princess (Ft.Lauderdale to LA)

der110

Not counting Semester at Sea in the 1970s, it was the first cruise for my girl friend and me. We were with two other couples who were experienced cruisers. The two other couples said they would never again go on a Princess cruise. That is probably a little harsh, but there were some issues. The itinerary was quite good. Originally, I thought I would think that the Panama Canal transit was just okay, and that the highlight would be the other ports of call. But it turned out to be just the opposite. The transit was amazing, though I liked the ports we visited and the Princess excursions we did, though the time in each port was quite brief. I thought Mexico at the end would be a bit of a let down. But we liked the ports. The dolphin experience in Mexico was fantastic. The staff on the boat was very friendly. I liked my massage therapist. Apparently, due to American withholding taxes, Princess hires almost no Americans. We did a pricy, but fascinating behind the scenes tour.

It kind of goes downhill from there. The food was just okay in the regular restaurant and the buffet. We ate one meal in a specialty restaurant that was much better. The wine was overpriced. There was a flu outbreak and my girlfriend got quarantined for two days, missing one port. She then got quarantined again for the last day for a noncontagious GI issue which was just irrational. It made one not want to see the doctor, which big-picture would make the health situation worse. There was a regular press to find ways to upcharge us. The cultural programs were few and just okay. The shows were also just okay, though my girlfriend and I are somewhat picky about singers and dancers (I have a good ear for music, and my girlfriend was once a professional ballet dancer.) And the internet was abysmal, but still expensive. It did not work at all about 1/4 of the time, and the rest of the time was very slow. Experienced cruisers told us that the internet is much better and more economical on other lines. We probably will not go on Princess again because of the internet. Our work situations require better access than we had.

But we would strongly encourage people to do a Panama Canal transit.

Sorry it didn't go as you had hoped. We did 17 days SF to FLL on Coral through the canal and had a fantastic cruise. Our server in MDR (Faye) was the best ever and the wine server in Vines (Christopher) was amazing.

We've done the full transit a couple of times and the partial transit to the Canal once. I agree ... it is an amazing experience.

We've sailed quite a bit and have had a few experiences onboard that have been disappointing as well ... but also had some of the most wonderful experiences as well.

Because of our extensive cruising history, I do understand the need to quarantine someone that has GI issues. It's hard when it happens to you but also devastating for the cruiseline when they allow someone with possible norovirus out and about on the ship. They have learned to take absolutely no chances.

I agree about the internet being better on some other cruiselines but some of this has to do with your location. We've had decent internet connections and speed on Princess but also have had dreadful internet. The couple of times we really needed it to not drop our connection, it did. We lost out on buying our dream house because of it ... :( while sailing out to Hawaii and then up in Alaska, was working on a research paper for work and lost all my work. Oh no!!!! So, I understand that disappointment.

Glad you did enjoy the canal and some of the other ports of call.

Sorry it didn't go as you had hoped. We did 17 days SF to FLL on Coral through the canal and had a fantastic cruise. Our server in MDR (Faye) was the best ever and the wine server in Vines (Christopher) was amazing.

That's good to know--sailing on the Coral SF to FLL 2/19 for 15 days---would love 17 days!

Not counting Semester at Sea in the 1970s, it was the first cruise for my girl friend and me. We were with two other couples who were experienced cruisers. The two other couples said they would never again go on a Princess cruise. That is probably a little harsh, but there were some issues. The itinerary was quite good. Originally, I thought I would think that the Panama Canal transit was just okay, and that the highlight would be the other ports of call. But it turned out to be just the opposite. The transit was amazing, though I liked the ports we visited and the Princess excursions we did, though the time in each port was quite brief. I thought Mexico at the end would be a bit of a let down. But we liked the ports. The dolphin experience in Mexico was fantastic. The staff on the boat was very friendly. I liked my massage therapist. Apparently, due to American withholding taxes, Princess hires almost no Americans. We did a pricy, but fascinating behind the scenes tour.

It kind of goes downhill from there. The food was just okay in the regular restaurant and the buffet. We ate one meal in a specialty restaurant that was much better. The wine was overpriced. There was a flu outbreak and my girlfriend got quarantined for two days, missing one port. She then got quarantined again for the last day for a noncontagious GI issue which was just irrational. It made one not want to see the doctor, which big-picture would make the health situation worse. There was a regular press to find ways to upcharge us. The cultural programs were few and just okay. The shows were also just okay, though my girlfriend and I are somewhat picky about singers and dancers (I have a good ear for music, and my girlfriend was once a professional ballet dancer.) And the internet was abysmal, but still expensive. It did not work at all about 1/4 of the time, and the rest of the time was very slow. Experienced cruisers told us that the internet is much better and more economical on other lines. We probably will not go on Princess again because of the internet. Our work situations require better access than we had.

But we would strongly encourage people to do a Panama Canal transit.

Sorry it wasn't as you hoped for. I will be leaving from Ft. Lauderdale on January 20 but our itinerary may be different than yours since we don't have any ports in Mexico. I've been on Celebrity, Carnival and Princess, and would have no problem cruising on Princess again. Our last cruise to Europe last May was on Celebrity, and I was really disappointed with the ship we were on compared to my first Celebrity cruise.

We did same Itinerary but other way around , kept telling first time Princess cruisers not to base opinion on that cruise ...

No complaints from me weather cannot be controlled by ship but really MUTS choice poor it was Halloween however and seats out of rain hard to grab .

Dining wait staff wonderful but Menus repeated and repeated .

Entertainment acceptable .

We went on Ruby 3 weeks later no comparison fabulous food , great entertainment and good activities during the day .

I enjoyed the Coral but not my usual Princess experience .

• 7 months later...

We boarded the Coral right after OP. This was our 4th time on Princess. (Golden 3X and Crown 1X).

The itinerary was great as well as as the guest lecturers on board. Dr. Ryan spoke for at least 9 hours on canal transit day which was a wonderful experience.

However, we did not become fans of the Coral: mediocre food in MDR and buffet, very closed in design for Horizon Court at the front of the ship, unresponsive crew for smoking issues which were harming other passengers.

However, our cabin steward was the best we ever had on any cruise!

Many people love this small ship but I think we love what larger ones have to offer; Vines and Skywalkers (I realize that this is not common but w love it for a quiet viewing place!)

I sailed Fort Lauderdale to LA on the Coral in May and loved it

staff was wonderful

I went back to traditional dinning after several years of doing anytime. I think the main dinning room food was excellent (and our wait staff the best I've ever had) (I am Elite with Princess)

I sailed Fort Lauderdale to LA on the Coral in May and loved it

staff was wonderful

I went back to traditional dinning after several years of doing anytime. I think the main dinning room food was excellent (and our wait staff the best I've ever had) (I am Elite with Princess)

... well ya but what about the internet ....:mad:

... well ya but what about the internet ....:mad:

I've given up on the internet on Princess. I used to depend on it, agreeing to do things for work when on vacation, and suffered because of it, but now I take it as a forced opportunity to disengage from work.

I am more than happy to disconnect, enjoy family time and vacation and worry about work when I get back. My job has that flexibility, other people's jobs do not.

I might be in the minority where I no longer worry about the snail pace of Internet on Princess. The only time it matters is for checking into flights, and if I do it through Princess it's one less thing I have to do. I have found Carnival to have better internet, but I don't want to cruise Carnival. So, I will continue to cruise the cruise line I enjoy and deal with internet when I can use my phone as a hot spot in port.

I've given up on the internet on Princess. I used to depend on it, agreeing to do things for work when on vacation, and suffered because of it, but now I take it as a forced opportunity to disengage from work.

I am more than happy to disconnect, enjoy family time and vacation and worry about work when I get back. My job has that flexibility, other people's jobs do not.

I might be in the minority where I no longer worry about the snail pace of Internet on Princess. The only time it matters is for checking into flights, and if I do it through Princess it's one less thing I have to do. I have found Carnival to have better internet, but I don't want to cruise Carnival. So, I will continue to cruise the cruise line I enjoy and deal with internet when I can use my phone as a hot spot in port.

... eeeeeasy there j b. I was being facetious. I too could give ratz asz about internet when in the middle of the ocean.

... eeeeeasy there j b. I was being facetious. I too could give ratz asz about internet when in the middle of the ocean.

Ha! Sorry. I didn’t mean anything personal towards you.

Just stating I’ve given up on Princess regarding Internet [emoji23]

That’s all

I apologize my statement was misunderstood

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ha! Sorry. I didn’t mean anything personal towards you.

Just stating I’ve given up on Princess regarding Internet [emoji23]

That’s all

I apologize my statement was misunderstood

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

naa we're good i raise my cup of coffee to ya.

Dec 2016 our first Princess, only so far, and it was partial transit on the Coral. We absolutely loved it. We have been on RCL, NCL, MSC, Celebrity, Carnival. Just a few of the notes I wrote as to why we loved it.

Loved the Buffet and the layout where there were not long lines you had to stay in. Food set up on many separate tables. Servers get your drinks. And loved all the windows and view.

Loved the entertainment.

Liked having self service laundry available.

Liked that there were actual walkways and the bars etc were in there own separate rooms. Many cruiselines you have to walk thru the bars to get to the other side and it seems very weird and a silly set up.

I also liked that the exercise and dance classes were inside and not at the pool. That might have just been our cruise director, but I liked that.

We did not get sick nor use internet. Thankfully!

Sure wish you would have had a more enjoyable time. It sucks when vacations don't quite go as planned. On the other hand, I never go on vacation (sea or land) and worry about internet or connectivity due to work...in fact try to even stay off my phone on land...usually not an issue at sea except in ports. I highly recommend for anyone that can, lose the electronics and enjoy the company you are with...we often forget to bask in the simple things!!

Yes and Yes it’s open for lunch, might be only sea days, I can’t remember exactly.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Yes, it is only on sea days and not usually all sea days. It is a reduced menu compared to stand alone Alfredo’s, only pizza available, no salads.

For those who were recently on Coral was there a BOGO at any time? Folks are reporting a late evening BOGO on some ships now. We sail Coral in November and are hoping there will at least be the late evening BOGO.