Good news for tea lovers

antsp

Great to sea Princess have put kettles in all cabins on the Sapphire. Hopefully will go fleet wide

Taking a slight twist on this...I would prefer that they be made available on an "as requested" basis. One can only imagine what Princess will cut back if it has to buy 20,000+ kettles. What percentage of cabins will need/want/request one? 10%?... 20%? Does that warrant purchasing one per cabin? It would be great if they could do that without making some other cuts. But we know that will never happen.

Great to sea Princess have put kettles in all cabins on the Sapphire. Hopefully will go fleet wide

We were on the first Sapphire sailing out of Southampton in May. There were no kettles then and no mention of them.

Princess does put kettles in cabins when a ship is sailing an Asia charter season. But the next verifiable report of kettles on a Princess ship anywhere else in the world will be the very first one.

So perhaps the OP can give us the primary source of their info implying that kettles are a permanent feature on Sapphire Princess.

Plenty of other cruise lines/ most hotels have kettles/coffee makers as permanent fixtures so give the concern for fire a rest.....

Some posters need to do land trips or cruise on other cruise lines....there is a world beyond Princess;p and cruise critic...

On cruises when we have one in our cabin, I often ask for it to be removed, but on some sailing it is common place.

So does all electrical equipment. So, should we ban it all?

Pretty much everything with a heating element is already banned. That is why you won't have an iron in your room, and why they provide hard-wired hair dryers. You won't be seeing space heaters in your cabin any time soon.

Doesn't need to have a heating element to for a fire to start.

Pretty much everything with a heating element is already banned. That is why you won't have an iron in your room, and why they provide hard-wired hair dryers. You won't be seeing space heaters in your cabin any time soon.

Sent from my VFD 900 using Tapatalk

Doesn't need to have a heating element to for a fire to start.

Not sure I understand your point. There is a statistical failure rate for everything that gets put into a cabin, from the refrigerator, to the safe, to the shelves in the closet to the lightbulbs and lamps. So if you are trying to say that any of these things could fail and cause injury, (and some start a fire), then yes, anything can be a hazard. But one has to weigh the failure probability and the likely ensuing damage against the need for the item in question and make a judgment call. Lamps and refrigerators get to stay even though they could be fire hazards. Irons and surge protectors get the boot. Kettles must be somewhere in the middle, with, up until now, the decision coming down against having them in cabins. If I am reading your posts correctly, you are arguing for the fallacy of false choices where everything could be a danger, so we have a binary choice of either allowing everything or disallowing everything. That is not how it works.

Not sure I understand your point. There is a statistical failure rate for everything that gets put into a cabin, from the refrigerator, to the safe, to the shelves in the closet to the lightbulbs and lamps. So if you are trying to say that any of these things could fail and cause injury, (and some start a fire), then yes, anything can be a hazard. But one has to weigh the failure probability and the likely ensuing damage against the need for the item in question and make a judgment call. Lamps and refrigerators get to stay even though they could be fire hazards. Irons and surge protectors get the boot. Kettles must be somewhere in the middle, with, up until now, the decision coming down against having them in cabins. If I am reading your posts correctly, you are arguing for the fallacy of false choices where everything could be a danger, so we have a binary choice of either allowing everything or disallowing everything. That is not how it works.
I know, but Princess' sister line P&O have had kettles in state rooms since god knows when. Plus the fact that they have now put kettles in rooms on Sapphire means they must not think they're a risk.

Sent from my VFD 900 using Tapatalk

Princess does put kettles in cabins when a ship is sailing an Asia charter season. But the next verifiable report of kettles on a Princess ship anywhere else in the world will be the very first one.

So perhaps the OP can give us the primary source of their info implying that kettles are a permanent feature on Sapphire Princess.

It’s on FB with a picture but maybe just for Southampton as Brits like their cup of tea

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We have no desire to have a kettle in our cabin. I can't imagine the cost if Princess had to put a kettle in every cabin. :rolleyes::eek:

We have never used the coffee or tea making products available in any hotel we have stayed at. When I'm on vacation I want to have someone serve me my tea or coffee.

I know, but Princess' sister line P&O have had kettles in state rooms since god knows when. Plus the fact that they have now put kettles in rooms on Sapphire means they must not think they're a risk.

Fair point! Wasn't aware of the P&O situation. I don't doubt that the day will come, (if it isn't here already) when kettles cross the line that separates irons from refrigerators. Every hotel room in the world has some level of crappy coffee maker in it. Just tell the stewards to unplug it each day when they clean the room. (I always unplug the coffee maker in my hotel room if it isn't already unplugged when I check in.)

It’s on FB with a picture but maybe just for Southampton as Brits like their cup of tea

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Hey, what about us Irish - Americans? We don't like our cup of tea?

Actually, I think that one of the earlier posters got it right. Provide them to those who wish to have them. One of the principal reasons we get the coffee card swap for the mini bar set up is for the wonderfully hot water in the IC for our teas. If it were to be possible for a hot water option in the cabin, it would be a very nice convenience.

Most, if not all, the kettles we saw in London had an automatic shut off feature. Even the most careful among us can get distracted at times. Many people would like to have a cuppa upon awakening without having to go somewhere to get it. I imagine there are also people who might like to have boiling water to make some sort of coffee.

There are lots of things in my stateroom that I don't use. We could start with the large bottle of water that they want me to buy. If you don't want the kettle, do what I do with that water. Put it in an out of the way spot where you don't even see it....then get it out again on the last night. It's nice that the kettle is being provided for those who want one.