Once you go Regal, can you ever go back?

hllwdcruiser

We are ready to book but can't decide ~ we are looking at the Caribbean Princess or the Regal Princess for a cruise in February. We have sailed on the Ruby, Crown, Coral and on the Regal the last few times.

Except for a cruise to Alaska, DH and I primarily cruise the Caribbean from our home port for an inexpensive week away and some much needed R&R. Because we've been to most of the islands on land vacations, ports are far less important to us than the ship. We also spend a good amount of time on our balcony but cabin size is unimportant (we'd prefer a regular cabin with a larger balcony with a good view to a mini suite with a tiny balcony and no view).

Our dilemma is this: There is an aft premium deluxe balcony available on the dolphin deck on the Regal and an inexpensive forward Caribe deck available on the Caribbean. The Caribbean cabin is about $400 less than the Regal. Our fear is that we will miss many of the new features on the Regal, Alfredos, the expanded buffet, brewed coffee etc. On the other hand, there are many things we miss on the Grand class ships, better Anytime Dining, smaller ship etc. Our first Princess cruise was on the Ruby and that's the one that got us hooked.

Has anyone been on the Caribbean since its dry dock and been on the Regal recently to offer me a comparison and maybe help push me over the edge to a choice? That $400 is looking tempting... but so is an aft cabin on the Regal....

Our fear is that we will miss many of the new features on the Regal, Alfredos, the expanded buffet, brewed coffee etc.
that's correct.

Did you check out obstructed deluxe balcony cabins on Emerald deck and decks 15-16? They are usually cheaper than deluxe balconies or regular balconies, but they are still large and deluxe. :) I'd go with that.

Granted, we were on Caribbean Princess before its dry dock, but I didn't read up on anything in advance, so it was a rather unpleasant surprise that it wasn't as big, grand, or shiny, and was missing the grand buffet compared to Regal.

Thankfully, the ABC island itinerary made up for that 100%. Regal's itineraries during the weeks we can actually travel leave much to be desired.

No contest! Sail on the Regal!!

We've done 17 days on the Regal...14 more next month...and 150+ days on the Royal and would sail on Royal Class ships before any other Princess ship...especially the Caribbean Princess. We've done the CB once and it was more than enough for me...too may issues on that cruise and since then for us to chance sailing on her again.

We've done 17 days on the Regal...14 more next month...and 150+ days on the Royal and would sail on Royal Class ships before any other Princess ship...especially the Caribbean Princess. We've done the CB once and it was more than enough for me...too may issues on that cruise and since then for us to chance sailing on her again.

100% agree. Of the seven Princess ships we've been on, the CB was our least favorite. While I'm sure the problems we had on our trip have long been fixed, there's just no comparison. The Regal and Royal are our preferred ships now hands down.

I totally agree with sailing Royal class ships as long as you don't mind the larger ship atmosphere.

They certainly have much better food & selections as well as all the same shows as the smaller ships without all the problems that the older ships have... like plumbing, water, AC, rust, etc.

I totally agree with sailing Royal class ships as long as you don't mind the larger ship atmosphere.

They certainly have much better food & selections as well as all the same shows as the smaller ships without all the problems that the older ships have... like plumbing, water, AC, rust, etc.

I am currently on The Caribbean Princess and don’t think I’ve ever been this happy. We have stayed at the back pool most of the days onboard. We have had Exceptional waiters in the dining room on Sixth floor (Gerald and Alvin from the Philippines). Jackie, the bartender at Crooners is wonderful. Love the pianist there too. Onboard production shows are excellent. Everyone just seems genuinely happy on this ship. We are Caribe aft balcony. A/C is great. Beds are comfortable. On demand TV and free internet are awesome. Cannot say enough great things about The Caribbean. I too was hesitant and worried I’d miss The Royal but all’s good/Great here!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Having sailed the Regal and the Royal a couple of times in our over 50 Princess cruises, we find them poorly designed for passenger comfort.

Our routine is to eat a relaxing lunch on our balcony every day we possibly can. This is almost impossible on either the Royal or the Regal - even in a full suite.

Little niceties are missing in the cabins and each of the categories is just a bit smaller than on the "old" ships.

Our next 2 cruises are on the Caribbean and the Crown -- of choice.

P&J

To add to my post above: we didn't actually experience any problems on Caribbean Princess. None at all. It was a little more tired and worn compared to Regal Princess, and the buffet's size was a huge disappointment (I am a glutton). However, personnel was exceptional and the itinerary stellar.

I wish Regal/Royal went to ABC islands during school breaks.

It's a shame the Regal itinerary does not include the ABC islands. I would have a hard time going back to an older ship. I enjoy the Regal & Royal so much. Unfortunately the Royal will be moving to the West coast when the Sky comes to Ft Lauderdale. Princess it's time to change the itinerary's for the newer class ships!!!

Linda

We’ve done 11 days on the Regal and 33 days on the Royal. It is now hard to go back to the other ships. However, we’ve never had a standard balcony on these two ships. On the Regal we had a deluxe premium aft cabin and on the Royal we have had a suite and an obstructed view deluxe balcony in the front of the ship.

Totally agree.....Royal Class ships are our preference and we think much better designed and more entertaining....find the older ships outdated, boring and crowded.....plus cannot even use the gym at a decent time on the older ships......:cool:

We last sailed on the Coral, which is very nice for a smaller older ship.. But I am very very much looking forward to boarding the Regal later this year!!! For me, it would be the Regal.

I don't know when you are sailing, and what the availability might be, but if you are booking in advance, perhaps you could find one of the few cabins that does have a bigger balcony on the Regal. We had one of the larger balconies on the mid-ship bump out, on Emerald Deck, that is a really UN-obstructed balcony booked... But, we had to cancel and re-book for later this year.

Wow! Thank you so much for the speedy replies and input. I think we'll be booking the Regal tomorrow although those in favor of the CB are pretty convincing as well.

Our last cabin on the Regal was L103 - forward, obstructed and AMAZING. I would have booked it again if it had been available for the cruise we are looking at, but unfortunately all the Lido and Marina forward cabins are booked. I even briefly considered the club class mini L107, but just couldn't justify the cost.

I'll definitely look to see if any of the Emerald Bump outs are available.

The few things that have continuously disappointed us on the Regal is the MDR experience especially for Anytime dining. Our stewards have always seemed rushed and less inclined to chat which really isn't a big deal, I now leave them to get on with their jobs and try to stay out of their way. Many of the bartenders in the venues seem detached. Maybe I'm fooling myself to believe it would be different on the CB? Longing for the good ol' days back on the Ruby?

We last sailed on the Coral, which is very nice for a smaller older ship.. But I am very very much looking forward to boarding the Regal later this year!!! For me, it would be the Regal.

I don't know when you are sailing, and what the availability might be, but if you are booking in advance, perhaps you could find one of the few cabins that does have a bigger balcony on the Regal. We had one of the larger balconies on the mid-ship bump out, on Emerald Deck, that is a really UN-obstructed balcony booked... But, we had to cancel and re-book for later this year.

Thank you, Wishing, do you happen to remember the cabin number on the Emerald deck?

I am currently on The Caribbean Princess and don’t think I’ve ever been this happy. We have stayed at the back pool most of the days onboard. We have had Exceptional waiters in the dining room on Sixth floor (Gerald and Alvin from the Philippines). Jackie, the bartender at Crooners is wonderful. Love the pianist there too. Onboard production shows are excellent. Everyone just seems genuinely happy on this ship. We are Caribe aft balcony. A/C is great. Beds are comfortable. On demand TV and free internet are awesome. Cannot say enough great things about The Caribbean. I too was hesitant and worried I’d miss The Royal but all’s good/Great here!

I'm glad that your one of the people that are enjoying the CB.

I've been reading some disconcerting posts lately about that ship and was beginning to have some concerns.

How many Princess cruises on other ships do you have to compare it to?

I'm only asking because of the number of positive posts come from people who have only been 1 or 2 other Princess ships & everything seem great to those people.

I’ve done many Princess ships, and we did Regal last year in L103 (small world) to the Baltic. That said, we are booked in CB next month for a 10-day cruise on Caribe deck. If I couldn’t have one of the forward deluxe balconies on Regal, I think I would opt for inside. The other balconies are just pathetic and a waste of money to me, but hey I live in FL and an ocean view isn’t the be all and end all to me. I was very happy to read that CB has the on demand movies in the cabins and the new beds (beds on Regal are still the old style - not my favorite). Also, the sound on MUTS was a joke, so I’m hoping the sound upgrade will improve that experience. I will say I would sail Ruby in a heartbeat if she were nearby, as we love that ship.

We have done 5 sailings on the Regal and have 2 more booked. We went back to the Crown this past February after having been on the Regal only 2 months prior. Other than the state of my cabin and lousy cabin steward, I was happy on the Crown. I missed things about the Regal, like the Sanctuary that was built to be a Sanctuary, but I was so happy to have the Bar venues back on Crown, I was happy to have events in those venues vs the Live Studio which I hate on the Regal.

Basically, after having done the Regal, I had no issue going back. Can't think of much better than being back on a cruise ship, so I will take any of them!

I have also sailed Regal many times (12 times) Royal (1 time). I have three more booked on Regal and one more booked on Royal. I guess you can tell that I like the ships.

Would I go back on one of the older ships. Yes I would. I have enjoyed them too .

For the past five years with one exception all of our Princess cruises have been on Royal class. We are also planning to do Alaska next year and most likely will go with Royal, despite her lack of outdoor viewing decks. We are going to do a cruisetour that does the Canadian Rockies, and the only two ships this tour connects to are the Royal and the Golden.

All about personal preference, I think. I was on the Regal 26 days (TA + Baltic) 2016, wasn't sure I would like such a big ship. It was fine, didn't mind the size. I then tried a TA on the Royal, it was good. I'm back on the Royal this October for a New England/Ft. L cruise.

In March, back to Emerald for 30 days, no problem switching after Regal/Royal, missed Alfredo's for lunch though! :) I have Sapphire and Emerald booked for 2019, Ruby for 2020. I sail for itinerary trying to get to places I haven't been so the ship isn't a major issue. Looking at deck plans, there are a few I would skip. I have to have an International Cafe as I am not a buffet person. 30 days on Emerald, didn't go to the buffet at all.

I'm glad that your one of the people that are enjoying the CB.

I've been reading some disconcerting posts lately about that ship and was beginning to have some concerns.

How many Princess cruises on other ships do you have to compare it to?

I'm only asking because of the number of positive posts come from people who have only been 1 or 2 other Princess ships & everything seem great to those people.

I’ve done 23 cruises with Princess. Have been on several different ships, including Royal several times. The entire staff just seemed so happy on this ship. They couldn’t do enough to help us. Waitstaff, bartenders, room steward, room service. Everything was outstanding.