Navigational Chart for sale

KevintheIrishDJ

I'll be darned. I've been on a dozen, or so, Princess cruises. I've only seen that auction on one of them--Los Angeles-Hawaii roundtrip. I won that auction. A Princess flag was included with mine.

I have never even heard of a Navigation Chart auction. Is it listed in the Patter?

Is this done as part of the Park West "art" auctions? If so, that explains why I have never been aware of it.

Edited by Mike45LC
Added new thought

Hi,

I won the auction on a Mexican Riviera cruise on the Ruby Princess in November 2015 and purchased the navigational chart. I had the chart framed and have it hanging on my wall. On subsequent Princess cruises, I have attended the auctions to see how the charts being auctioned compare to my chart. Each ship decorates / finishes the charts slightly differently.

I am glad that I purchased the chart and look at it frequently.

Chuck

I have never even heard of a Navigation Chart auction. Is it listed in the Patter?

Is this done as part of the Park West "art" auctions? If so, that explains why I have never been aware of it.

Hi,

Yes, the charts are usually auctioned during the final Park West auction. The money raised from selling the chart is donated to charity.

Chuck

I got the one from our "bucket list" Alaska cruise for only 225 dollars! I was flabbergasted, I figured it would go for much more. Framing it was like 800 dollars using a 50% off coupon, but it is now the centerpiece of our travel memories wall.

If you are doing a bucketlist or otherwise meaningful cruise, it never hurts to go to that last art auction and see what it goes for.

I've never heard of this, and would love to see an example...

In addition to the map of the cruise, mine has the insignia and signatures of all officers, history of the ship and the itinerary with distance traveled, average speed, date and time in each port. I have never figured out how to insert a photo. Email me at KevintheIrishDJ@msn.com and i will reply with photos.

20160527_144957 (2).jpg

I'll be darned. I had no idea they were offered at the art auction.

The time I won mine, it was part of the ship's officers' presentation on one of the sea days. This is the presentation when one of the bridge officers and one of the engineering officers give presentations on their and their departments' responsibilities. Each presentation lasts about 30 minutes each, and they are consistently interesting. There is also always some great bantering between these two officers as to who "runs the ship." I attended both of these events on my two Los Angeles-Hawaii cruises. At the end of the second one, this auction was appended to the end of the presentation, and, yes, it was advertised in the Patter. The auctioneer was somebody from the CD staff, and the proceeds went to a Princess Charity,

I've never heard of this, and would love to see an example...

Here's mine (assuming I put the image in correctly) - sorry for the terrible photo, had to take it in the dark to minimize reflection; tried to spruce it up a bit in photoshop. But you get the gist of it. Its really quite lovely, all the officers sign it and there's a flag at each stop on the itinerary, a photo of the ship, and a listing of where you went.

If you do win it, just be aware they give it to you in a fairly large tube, so make sure you know how to get it home! Ours fit diagonally in the largest suitcase we took (which horrified the art dealers) but it could have been an issue otherwise!

39878876_10105100387828705_8738127666839814144_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=b7ccbaf8523ef2ae4ce70c8f6a2d7218&oe=5C06EBA2

Here's mine (assuming I put the image in correctly) - sorry for the terrible photo, had to take it in the dark to minimize reflection; tried to spruce it up a bit in photoshop. But you get the gist of it. Its really quite lovely, all the officers sign it and there's a flag at each stop on the itinerary, a photo of the ship, and a listing of where you went.

If you do win it, just be aware they give it to you in a fairly large tube, so make sure you know how to get it home! Ours fit diagonally in the largest suitcase we took (which horrified the art dealers) but it could have been an issue otherwise!

39878876_10105100387828705_8738127666839814144_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=b7ccbaf8523ef2ae4ce70c8f6a2d7218&oe=5C06EBA2

Thanks! It looks huge.

How do you insert a photo?