The Amerikanis Candris line

I just found out today that I have actually sailed on Celebrity (sort of)

before. Chandris Lines became Celebrity Cruises in the 1990s. When I was

about 9 or 10 we sailed from Melbourne to Sydney on Chandris Lines Patris.

The X on Celebrity Ships is actually the Greek Chi and is was on all Chandris Ships as well.

I think I should go back to Celebrity and say I am a past passenger before I sail again on 19th August 2013.

There is a whole book written on the cruise line "The

Chandris liners and Celebrity cruises" by Peter Plowman. Here's a link.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Chandris-L.../dp/1877058475

Hi all!

I just found this thread today.:D DH & my 1st cruise was on the Amerikanis in Feb '89. We had a lovely inside cabin with blue flocked cloth wallpaper & carved silver headboard. I did get points for this cruise from Celebrity but nothing for sailing on the Victoria in Feb '91.

Thanks for the links & book recommendation.

~ Jo ~ :)

• 5 years later...

My wife and I took a Chandris cruise from Philadelphia to Bermuda October 1991. I'm not sure which ship it was and wandered if anyone else remembers that fateful cruise. It was our first cruise and we started out ok but when we got out to sea, there were a couple storms that the captain kept trying to get around. It turned out that those storms came together further North and became the "Perfect Storm". We paid extra for a porthole and all we could see for a couple days were the high seas. The dining room tables kept losing their settings as the ship rocked. My wife was playing a slot machine and one of the other tables slid up against her while she was playing. Might have been the Roulette or Craps table. She said if she was going to get stuck I should get her some more quarters so she could keep playing because there was nothing else she could do. We have since cruised twice more and are getting ready for out third. No more excitement like the first one. We figure that our 'perfect storm' cruise was pretty much as bad as it could get so why not keep cruising. ;)

• 4 years later...

The Amerikanis was the first cruise ship that my wife and I and our children took, in the winter of 1983. At the time, she was being leased to Costa, and so bore her colors. It was a 3-night cruise from Miami to Nassau and we had a ball. It started us on a lifetime of cruising, 53 and counting. My last cruise this past February on RCCL's Allure Of The Seas was the first since my wife passed away a few years ago (and my 25th RCCL cruise) , but with my daughter's family aboard, it was a blast. In fact, we've just booked the Celebrity Silhouette for January of 2023. 

Edited by stoshman
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...