American Empress September 24, 2018

Cruze4Ever

• 3 weeks later...
Hi, we are Debbie and Mike from Albuquerque. We are on this cruise also, a first river cruise. See you soon.

Hello!

We have been on river cruises in Europe and really liked them a lot! This is our first river cruise in the U.S. and it should be great!

~Carol

• 7 months later...

I realize this is an old thread......but am hoping that someone is still getting notices that might be able to answer a couple of questions.

I have noticed that the HOHO buses/tours get good reviews overall..but am curious what people thought of the premium tours.  Specifically the Multnomah Falls private tour, and the Portland City tour at the end of our cruise. (we go East to West.  Is it advisable to book the premium tours before the cruise, or is it ok to wait till we board to book.  

One person in our group is limited with mobility, and walks with a cane...... is there any issues at any of the ports with getting around....either boarding buses, or walking etc.

Thanks for any other thoughts or information !  

Our cruise is Sept 22, 2019......

I did the American Empress cruise in 2016 (and an American Duchess cruise in 2018) and did not do either of the premium excursions you asked about, but when I have done the city tours, they have been fairly low key.  It's one of those where you can do as much or as little walking as you'd like.  I've been to Multnomah Falls before, not on the excursion, and that may be a bit of a walk.  I travel with my elderly mother and have found the company super useful when I've called and asked about the activity level of a specific excursion.

Some premium excursions may fill up ahead if they are popular, but I think for the most part, it is fine to wait until you get onboard.  I don't specifically remember on this trip.

The bus drivers were really good with the people with mobility issues.  They save seats at the front of the bus for them.  I think it was a short walk to the buses on this river.  On the Mississippi they actually had a little golf cart to take people to the bus if it was a longer walk.

14 hours ago, califsealion said:

I did the American Empress cruise in 2016 (and an American Duchess cruise in 2018) and did not do either of the premium excursions you asked about, but when I have done the city tours, they have been fairly low key.  It's one of those where you can do as much or as little walking as you'd like.  I've been to Multnomah Falls before, not on the excursion, and that may be a bit of a walk.  I travel with my elderly mother and have found the company super useful when I've called and asked about the activity level of a specific excursion.

Some premium excursions may fill up ahead if they are popular, but I think for the most part, it is fine to wait until you get onboard.  I don't specifically remember on this trip.

The bus drivers were really good with the people with mobility issues.  They save seats at the front of the bus for them.  I think it was a short walk to the buses on this river.  On the Mississippi they actually had a little golf cart to take people to the bus if it was a longer walk.

Thank you for the response !

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...