Home Lines-Oceanic-cruisers

I still miss the Oceanic! Nothing has topped her yet for me! I loved their long cruise each February. Has anyone been on that cruise through 1980? I'd love to get back in touch with old travel and crew friends. There was a great mom, Doris and her son, Steven, nurses from Massachusetts, a singer who sounded like Lou Rawls, an English entertainer named Graham. The Donzelli Orchestra, the other orchestra leader, I think his name was Sergio. I'll never forget Al Di La, "the Hustle" - too funny!

I could go on and on about the Oceanic. No ship has come even close. Only those who traveled on her can understand she had a "soul". We went on the 12-14 X-Mas cruise each year from 1972-1979, and other shorter cruises from 1970-1985. Who can forget the Donzelli Group in the Italian Hall, Cruise Director Everett E. Everett (we still are in touch with his family in Massachusetts even though he died in the earley 1908s), hostess Luciana Trevisan? Anyone know where these fantastic people are?

I was on the Oceanic in 1975 as a 15 year old. It left a big impression on me. Especially the Italian band that played in the lounge at the stern. I can still vividly remember them playing "Volare."

I also like the enclosed Promenade Deck that wrapped around the ship just below the boat deck (not to be confused with the Magradome Deck on the top of the ship.

We were in rough seas on our cruise our first day out and boy did that ship rock!

Paul

Wasn't the promenade wonderful! I remember at night walking and with the windows open, you'd look out and see the other ships (usually Holland America's Rotterdam or Statendam out of NY) riding along with the Oceanic heading to Bahamasa or Bermuda. What happy memories! Too bad companies don't think that promenades are useful space any more. You're right - the Oceanic did roll a bit, but you always knew you were on a ship, and I always felt safe.

Do you remember the crazy pool games? And the mats you jst laid on the pool deck to lay on.

How about the dancing team - The Gilliams (Arthur & Gail and his daughter, I think) They were teriffic!

Our first cruise on the Oceanic was in January 1978. It was a Gala Caribbean cruise sailing round trip from New York. When we returned to New York in early February, we had a foot of snow on deck, as they had a major blizzard. They offered half price for the following cruise, as a large group from Chicago couldn't make the ship. One of the passengers, a physician from Boston, made a phone call to his partner to cover him, and he and his wife stayed onboard for another cruise.

My husband counted the items on the breakfast menu one morning. They had over 100 different items for breakfast.

I remember the Cluster tables, 3 tables for 4, that were joined together like a clover leaf, with a tall lamp in the middle.

Yes, it was cold out the first day at sea, and they had the Magnadrome closed, opening it just a little after day 1. I do remember laying around the pool on those mats on the tiled floor on the lido deck.

We could pick our deck chairs for sunning, they put our name on the chair, and it was reserved for us. We had to pay $5.00 for this, it was probably the tip for the deck steward. They had the same deck steward for years and years, as we sailed her after that several more times. His name may have been Carlos.

Oh, what fond memories we have of that beautiful shp!

Ginnie

Although I never sailed on the Oceanic, I can only imagine how special it was. The week of March 11-18th I was on the MSC Opera, and there were a number of people from the North East that I spoke too. It seemed as if everyone had sailed on the Oceanic at one time, and raved about it. They were hoping that MSC would bring back some of that unique Italian flair to the Caribbean, but sadly that was not the case.

• 4 weeks later...

RSGS315, I think I was on the same cruise in 1978! It was my first cruise and boy was it rocky going out of New York in January I was 18 years old and had the best time! Two years later i sailed the Doric and our bus boy Carmello was a waiter and rememberd us. This was one cruise line I truly miss.

I sailed with Home Lines starting in 1975. We were doing two and three cruises a year (Oceanic, Doric, Atlantic, Homeric) until Home Lines' last sailing of the Homeric. We also were on the maiden sailing of the Homeric, May 1986. What wonderful times we had.

Quite a few of the times I sailed with my parents and we always took a suite on the Oceanic. Was that special with the verandahs. But whatever, cabin you had it was grand.

I now sail with Holland America, and yes, it's nice, but can't compare to Home Lines.

Sailing thru the Canal in October for 13 days on the Amsterdam. Did a 14 day this past November on the Veendam, and before that a 10 day on the Rotterdam. Total with HAL 6. My total with Homes Lines was about 25.

I also sailed on both the maiden and final voyage of the Homeric. How sad was that last cruise. I lost count on my total of Home Lines cruises after 50, I just kept going and going. I went so often, I even became friends with

Grace, the bathroom lady. I still keep in touch with a lot of friends from Italy as well as friends that I've made throughout the States.

Hi everyone-

The Oceanic was my first cruise. I must have been about 11 years old. There were hardly any other children onboard and the staff spoiled us rotten. I remember how rough the seas where going around Cape Hatteras. So many people were seasick (me included). That night when the band, the Donzelli Group, played, people came out on the dance floor and attempted to do the "Alley Cat" while the ship pitched and rolled. We liked them so much we bought their album. Does anyone remember the very long breadsticks, we loved them!

Needless to say, the s/s Oceanic hooked me on cruising for life.

Thanks for the memories!!

Jac

Yes, you're right. That last cruise on the Homeric sure was sad. I still keep in touch with Spiros (and his wife Karen). Spiros was one of the Greek bartenders. Been to their home a few times. They live in upstate NY.

I now cruise with HAL (going in October on the Amsterdam) and alot of the people I cruise with were Home Lines folks.

I also keep in touch with many passengers thru Christmas cards.

As said before, THOSE WERE THE DAYS. Nothing like them. And to me, no cruise line can compete.

Sally

I recall going to the NY harbor for a bon voyage party aboard what I think was the Oceanic. My aunt and Grandparents were sailing and back then- we were allowed to go aboard, go to the cabins, throw those coiled streamers off the deck and leave before sailing.

It must have been the late 70's and I was about 8 or 9 years old. It was docked in NYC and I remember walking down the stairs to my aunts cabin and there was an indoor pool right off the stairs- surrounded by frosted, steamy glass that had mermaids and seaweed pictures on them. It was the first time I was ever on a ship. I also remember thinking how easy it would be to hide in one of the lifeboats and suprise my grandparents at dinner that night. Logistics aside, it was a fun fantasy.

Could this ship I recall the Oceanic? I remember for years looking through photo albums of my aunts and grandparents and there were a few sailings documented- the Stattendam, the Rotterdam, the Homeric etc. Maybe they were all grande dames of the sea but the indoor pool just amazed me as a child. I will need to check with my aunt as both grandparents are no longer living. Can anyone tell me if the Oceanic had an indoor pool below decks?

Thanks.

Marge: Aside from the sailings you mentioned, what other cruises did you do? I usually went in the spring and the fall with my parents. I'm just wondering if I know you or any of the people you travelled with?

Do you do any HAL cruises?

Oh what memories, what pampering, and being made to feel like a queen! I sailed approx 15 times on Oceanic, Atlantic and Homeric, from 1977 thru 1987. My last cruise was on one of the final cruises, on Homeric. How ironic that that last cruise was with the man I was dating, who would become my husband. It was like my future staring at my past, and saying goodbye. How bittersweet. The service was impeccable, food superb. Mario on the Oceanic with assigned deck chairs. (what a great idea). The cabin boys and stewards....Giuseppe, Nino, Leonardo, Pasquale, Mario, and Angelo. The waiters, Gino, Jerry, Giuseppe, Nicolino, and Spinelli, the pastry chef who always sent me home with a tray of cookies for "mama". They were like family. From staying at my home during 0vernights, layovers, and vacations, to visiting and travelling thru Italy with them. God bless each and everyone of them, wherever they are, and on whatever paths they have chosen in life. They all have such a special place in my memories and heart. I do reminesce with one of the waiters who married a girl from my area,and who opened a restaurant 2 minutes away from where I work.

Those were the days of truly dressing up each night, and the true indulgent midnight buffets. The Oceanic was a beautiful ship. The long cruises great, but the Bermuda / Nassau run a lot of fun also. The band in the MontMart Lounge in bow of ship, playing Copa Cabana, and also ".. finding it hard to do "" anysting witouts"" you" as you swayed to and fro on the dance floor with each pitch of the waves. And yes, those long breadsticks and super crusty rolls!

Miss those days so much.

Well I did a lot of cruises back then, more than 70 with Home Lines. And

to your next question the answer is 'yes', I was quite involved with someone who worked on board. Cruising then was easy for me, and I am truly thankful for the years we spent together. I still keep in touch with him and visit with him and his family whenever we go to Italy.

Now for the 2nd half of my life, my husband, children and myself travel with

Celebrity, Disney, Costa and RCCL.

And you are right, nothing at all compares to Home Lines. I learned alot, saw a lot of different places, did a lot of things, lived in Italy for a brief time and

learned to speak the language fluently. I made a lot of friends, some I've lost touch with but a lot of them have become really, really close friends and members of my extended family. I'm thankful for those days and as sad as I was to see them come to an end, sometimes life needs to point us in different directions.

One person I lost touch with was a girl named Teresa R. from Broolyn. I would love to know what became of her, where she is and how she is doing. So Teresa, if you are cruising these boards, I'm sure you know who I am.

I remember cruising on Oceanic is the mid seventies. Romy Formica's Italian Favorites in the lounge. I met a whole group of girls from NY who dated the band members and cruised about once a month. Very friendly ship!

:) Hi to all, I took my first cruise on the Oceanic August 25, 1969 cabin A90-Atlantic Deck Warren Gorney was one of our Cruise Directors, Charlie Ricci also. Our waiters were Rocco Bruno and Carlo Russo. On one of the cruises Andre and Nina Vargas were the dance team. We are still friends and keep in touch. sailed many times with her. I look at photos often. I have all the menus, daily scheduals etc. I hope to come to a reunion at Divino's in NYC. If anyone knows when the next one is please let me know. So far the only other ship that had some of those special touches was a lovely small older ship: Seawind Crown, She carried 758 passengers, sailing from Aruba. Premier purchashed her but she was confiscated when Premier failed. On the website Maritime Matters last update in 2002 she sits in I belive in Spain just sitting. She has a soul like the SS Oceanic. The crew were great at all times. Large cabins and made great friends.

I, too, would love to know when one of those reunions are. I keep in touch with several of the passengers and we'd love to see some of the crew members. Only keep in touch with Spiros who was Greek and was a bartender. Have become good friends with his family.