New Year’s Eve 2018 In Sydney

TxnAquarian

Hello All,

I e-mailed Azamara's UK Managing Director, Richard Twynam, yesterday to try and get some up-to-date clarity on where the Quest will be berthed on NYE and what arrangements might be put in place to view the fireworks. I also asked why the website description has changed from the original wording. I am grateful for his prompt response and he has detailed the latest position as follows:

Sincere thanks for your note. Allow me to clarify some of the detail. There was one piece of marketing copy that we felt needed to be changed which was done to be more representative. No other marketing mentioned that statement.

It’s also worth noting that no cruise ship can moor at Circular Quay during New Years Eve, so the positon we have is the best available in Sydney for the celebrations.

The position of the vessel in White Bay has good visibility of the northern barges, and the fireworks from the top of the bridge. We are working on access to other vantage points if guests want a different perspective. Based on discussions I have had with Sydney based colleagues the view is good. But other options will be available should you wish to choose a local tour.

I trust this helps and if I can be of any further assistance please do not hesitate to contact me.

He also undertook to consider placing any updates on the Roll Call message board, which would be most useful.

Hi just checked the voyage planner for our cruise and the Azamazing evening is available to book.....

However it isn't in Adelaide it's in Hobart : A night with the Tasmanian symphony orchestra.

Personally the Adelaide one sounded more our thing so I'm a little disappointed but there you are.

Sent from my SM-J700F using Forums mobile app

Hi just checked the voyage planner for our cruise and the Azamazing evening is available to book.....

However it isn't in Adelaide it's in Hobart : A night with the Tasmanian symphony orchestra.

Personally the Adelaide one sounded more our thing so I'm a little disappointed but there you are.

Yes, I found out it was in Hobart. We went to the Azamazing Evening there last time we went to Australia, but will probably go again. It was a great performance, and the music was lovely.

• 3 months later...
Hi

My husband and I are also booked on the Quest with the stay in Sydney for New Years Eve 2018.

I booked this cruise in January 2017 when the docking schedule was not available but like others assumed that the ship would be docked in close proximity to the Harbour.

When I realised that the Quest was scheduled to be docked at White Bay Cruise Terminal I contacted Azamara and asked them to confirm (with the exception of any unforeseen events) my perfect vantage point as per their descriptor below.

"From a perfect vantage point on the Sydney Harbour, this New Year’s Eve starts early with an air show, followed by the magical Harbour of Light parade. At midnight, the famous fireworks explode over the bridge and the Sydney Opera House. Millions of people will be watching on television and online. You, on the other hand, will be right in the middle of it all. Happy New Year!

I have not yet had a response from Azamara but have informed them that if they do not respond I will be making a report to the UK Advertising Standards Authority for misleading advertising as this was the main reason I booked this cruise and not the Oceania round Australia cruise.

I will post any information I receive from Azamara, but so far it does not sound like they have any kind of a plan for New Years Eve. If this is the case then unfortunately I feel the cruise has been mis-sold.

For information the descriptor on the Azamara website has now been changed from

"From a perfect vantage point on the Sydney Harbour, this New Year’s Eve starts early with an air show, followed by the magical Harbour of Light parade. At midnight, the famous fireworks explode over the bridge and the Sydney Opera House. Millions of people will be watching on television and online. You, on the other hand, will be right in the middle of it all. Happy New Year!

To

"The stunning city of Sydney will bring your 2018 to a close. This New Year’s Eve starts early with an air show, followed by the magical Harbour of Light parade across Sydney Harbour. At midnight, find yourself a vantage point onshore to watch the famous fireworks explode over the bridge and the Sydney Opera House—along with millions of people watching on television and online. Happy New Year!

Any fellow passengers care to comment?

:mad:This is an absolute disgrace, completely missold. Unfortunately we didn’t realise the change until very recently, therefore would be liable for 50% of the cost if we cancelled. No intention of leaving it there though. Very, very dissapointing.

This cruise was totally misrepresented. I remember the photos on the website, Facebook , etc. showing Quest right next to the Harbour Bridge, in prime position for fireworks viewing very well. In reality you’ll be in a container port. I found out before final payment and cancelled. I’m very sorry for those who didn’t.

New Year’s Eve is a night for partying and Champagne, not a night to have to track halfway through town, navigating traffic and massive crowds, on tour busses.

Floris

I have been in communication with the Azamara escalations team, to no avail.

Their “catch cry” response is we reserve the right to alter the itinerary and ports accordingly, and no compensation will be offered at this stage. Apparently the change to this itinerary was initially communicated 24th July, but just not emailed to their passengers.

The NSW port authority has had the ship docked at White Bay all along, so I feel this runs contrary to how the cruise was marketed, from being “right in the middle of the harbour” to “find your own vantage point on shore”.

Only received an email advising of White Bay docking last week, unfortunately maximising any monies lost should I choose to cancel, as the final balance was paid four weeks ago. This is an underhanded questionable practice. I for one will not be paying $1500 a head, for a dinner at the Taronga Zoo on New Year’s Eve which Azamara are now offering. It’s a disgrace.

Their “catch cry” response is we reserve the right to alter the itinerary and ports accordingly, and no compensation will be offered at this stage. Apparently the change to this itinerary was initially communicated 24th July, but just not emailed to their passengers.

The NSW port authority has had the ship docked at White Bay all along, so I feel this runs contrary to how the cruise was marketed, from being “right in the middle of the harbour” to “find your own vantage point on shore”.

Only received an email advising of White Bay docking last week, unfortunately maximising any monies lost should I choose to cancel, as the final balance was paid four weeks ago. This is an underhanded questionable practice. I for one will not be paying $1500 a head, for a dinner at the Taronga Zoo on New Year’s Eve which Azamara are now offering. It’s a disgrace.

To be perfectly frank. If the ship will be docking at white bay that is all good and well. Plonking a cruise ship in the middle of the harbor isn't feasible on a night like this. Besides which side would face the fireworks? However given the fares and marketing for this trip, one would expect NYE would atleast be the Azamara Evening! Where Azamara would host all passengers in an exclusive venue which includes the desired vantage point that was advertised?

Yes that would be an acceptable alternative. We would happily accept an Azamazing Evening in Sydney as a solution to the New years eve situation.

Sadly it's been over a week since I e mailed the UK MD Richard Twynham and have not had a response which is surprising as he is usually prompt at replying.

I emailed Richard Twynam again on Saturday 30th September, I did get a very quick response saying he was on his way to the States but was working on the NYE situation and hoped to get back to me early the following week.

Nothing else since then, which for a cruise line with an excellent reputation is, in my opinion, shocking.

Completely miss-sold, and an absolute disgrace!

:mad:

I just booked the Taronga Zoo excursion. I’m looking forward to at least having this as an option, as I don’t feel like trying to book something myself. I’m not going to ruin my mood by complaining about things that could’ve been. I’m going to enjoy what is available. Too many people on here create chaos when things don’t go their way. Yes, I’m disappointed that Azamara pulled the rug out from the initial marketing campaign, but life is short and I’m still going to enjoy myself immensely.

Michael

• 4 weeks later...

Having had a NYE in Sydney on Crystal a couple of years ago I’ve been following this saga with interest to see what Azamara end up offering

First let me say you will get some limited view from White Bay but it won’t be prime positioning and would be a definite compromise and I would say if you are in Sydney for NYE you would really want a better vantage point to enjoy the show from 

I read of a $1500 shorex offered by Azamara to Taronga Zoo - that’s certainly not cheap and you could get on a nice harbour cruise for less than that - A$995

F8E795E0-9DFA-42A7-ABC4-D5E38F20929A.thumb.jpeg.65d700bd1f2589f01cbb1da9c350157a.jpeg

I also saw a Taronga Zoo function advertised today - A$595 a head that includes:

Arrival canapes
Five course dinner
Five hour Moet beverage package
Live entertainment
Photographer
DJ
Midnight treats

Now of course you’d need to arrange a hire car service to get to and from the venue but 

I’m sure they wouldn’t cost $1000 a head

FA7D6DA6-3775-481A-9788-9C825EBA7E78.thumb.png.3c8eac517e6723f7ab3925298f6b76b9.png

Whatever option you choose I wish you well enjoying the spectacular show that Sydney puts on to celebrate NYE

Here’s one shot from our harbour cruise on NYE that Crystal arranged (It didn’t go perfectly either!)

86C1FCD5-3AC0-4FE2-AAF5-DED85BADD8EC.jpeg

519A7F16-771C-4805-B15A-7D4FDC45CC4C.jpeg

Edited by Stickman1990

I feel sorry for the passengers that have booked this cruise with the intention to have a privileged position for the fireworks in Sidney. It seems that is going to be very different from our experience with the Azamara Journey a couple of years ago in Río de Janeiro. That was fantastic!. I assume that those who could have cancelled this cruise.

Ivi

5 minutes ago, travelberlin said:

I feel sorry for the passengers that have booked this cruise with the intention to have a privileged position for the fireworks in Sidney. It seems that is going to be very different from our experience with the Azamara Journey a couple of years ago in Río de Janeiro. That was fantastic!. I assume that those who could have cancelled this cruise.

Ivi

Ivi, I'm excited about this.😎

Phil 

5 minutes ago, excitedofharpenden said:

Ivi, I'm excited about this.😎

Phil 

I hope you will get a good experience Phil. I remember our captain on the Journey doing his best to get a place for us in the front row facing Copacabana beach. There were many ships around big and small, but our position was excellent. 

The white party was celebrated on that evening. This fits very well with the tradition in Brasil, which is to always wear white for New Years Eve. Enjoy it!

Ivi

9 hours ago, travelberlin said:

Ivi

9 hours ago, travelberlin said:

I hope you will get a good experience Phil. I remember our captain on the Journey doing his best to get a place for us in the front row facing Copacabana beach. There were many ships around big and small, but our position was excellent. 

The white party was celebrated on that evening. This fits very well with the tradition in Brasil, which is to always wear white for New Years Eve. Enjoy it!

Ivi

I think a lot of loyal guests thought it would be like Rio. Went one year and even in the rain it was great. 

• 2 weeks later...

Here is the view over White Bay Cruise Terminal towards Sydney Bridge.  Not with fire works.... but it does show that you will definitely see the larger fireworks even though from a slight distance. This is as close as any cruise ships can get on NYE in Sydney Harbour since they stopped letting ships park at Curcular Quay on NYE.  It would be nice if Azamara does the White Night Party on New Years Eve.  If you are partying on around the pool with a couple of glasses of champagne in you .....I think you will have a great time and enjoy what fireworks we can see. Cheers!White-Bay.thumb.jpg.84078b608f6b61bd968b57fe05554c77.jpg 

2 hours ago, SiamCruisers said:

Here is the view over White Bay Cruise Terminal towards Sydney Bridge.  Not with fire works.... but it does show that you will definitely see the larger fireworks even though from a slight distance. This is as close as any cruise ships can get on NYE in Sydney Harbour since they stopped letting ships park at Curcular Quay on NYE.  It would be nice if Azamara does the White Night Party on New Years Eve.  If you are partying on around the pool with a couple of glasses of champagne in you .....I think you will have a great time and enjoy what fireworks we can see. Cheers!White-Bay.thumb.jpg.84078b608f6b61bd968b57fe05554c77.jpg 

No one will be up as high as from where that photo was taken. People’s view point will be from the ship in your photo. Let’s not make up facts please. 

If anyone is making up facts it is you.  This is a photo showing that the ship is parked fairly close to the bridge.  Everyone realizes the photo is taken higher than the ship.  You can see the ship below you in the front.

Do you think they will be setting off sparklers on the bridge?  LOL   If you have any knowledge of firework displays you would know the firework shells explode between 200 and 1,200 feet in the air.   This is higher than the ship and any building in the area. 

4 hours ago, SiamCruisers said:

If anyone is making up facts it is you.  This is a photo showing that the ship is parked fairly close to the bridge.  Everyone realizes the photo is taken higher than the ship.  You can see the ship below you in the front.

Do you think they will be setting off sparklers on the bridge?  LOL   If you have any knowledge of firework displays you would know the firework shells explode between 200 and 1,200 feet in the air.   This is higher than the ship and any building in the area. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sydney_New_Year's_Eve

Yes, they do indeed "set off sparklers on the bridge" as well as the more frequently seen in other parts of the world, high in the sky displays! Variations of the "waterfall effect" from the bridge have been used regularly over the years.

Sparklers are what you let your kids light up in the back yard.  Yes I realize  they always do a waterfall effect on the bridge, but the point is that there is a major firework display high above the bridge that can be seen for miles.  Ships docked at White Bay will see some nice fireworks but not the lower display.