Anyone been on an Azamara cruise to the Polar Ice Cap region?

Ken the cruiser

We are researching cruise lines that go to Longyearbyen to include cruising around the Polar Ice Cap and discovered Azamara is going there in July 2020. If you have a few minutes and have been on one of the Azamara voyages to the Polar region, we would very much enjoy hearing about your experiences.

We did a Arctic cruise on National Geographic Explorer and flew into Oslo and then to Longyearbyen. We saw Beluga whales, and lots of Polar bears. It's a 300 Pax ship and we were broken into groups and went out in Zodiacs. We walked the tundra and saw herds of reindeer and Arctic foxes. It was a memorable trip. Does Azamara do landings and take you out? I'm unaware if they even would have zodiacs.

We did a Arctic cruise on National Geographic Explorer and flew into Oslo and then to Longyearbyen. We saw Beluga whales, and lots of Polar bears. It's a 300 Pax ship and we were broken into groups and went out in Zodiacs. We walked the tundra and saw herds of reindeer and Arctic foxes. It was a memorable trip. Does Azamara do landings and take you out? I'm unaware if they even would have zodiacs.

Sound's pretty cool. Silversea also has an exploration type cruise as well. But to be honest, we would just as soon sit on our veranda and cruise around the various parts of the Polar Ice Cap region while enjoying all of the amenities that go along with an Azamara cruise.

We were on a HAL Antarctica cruise in January and cruised around the peninsula for about 4 days before we headed back to SA. We saw tons of penguins, whales and birds as well as some of the most beautiful scenery we have ever seen as well as attending some very cool lectures. We were hoping for a similar experience going to the Polar Ice Cap region or is that wishful thinking?

Sound's pretty cool. Silversea also has an exploration type cruise as well. But to be honest, we would just as soon sit on our veranda and cruise around the various parts of the Polar Ice Cap region while enjoying all of the amenities that go along with an Azamara cruise.

We were on a HAL Antarctica cruise in January and cruised around the peninsula for about 4 days before we headed back to SA. We saw tons of penguins, whales and birds as well as some of the most beautiful scenery we have ever seen as well as attending some very cool lectures. We were hoping for a similar experience going to the Polar Ice Cap region or is that wishful thinking?

Azamara does "drive by" cruises of Antarctica. To my knowledge to date they have never been to the other end. They typically go to as far as North Cape. They do not do expeditions (Zodiac landings, etc.).

Sent from my SM-G965U using Forums mobile app

Azamara does "drive by" cruises of Antarctica. To my knowledge to date they have never been to the other end. They typically go to as far as North Cape. They do not do expeditions (Zodiac landings, etc.).

Sent from my SM-G965U using Forums mobile app

Then their July 2020 cruise might be their first time going to the Polar region. That might explain why I didn't see any reference to the Polar region when I searched the Azamara forum.

I have been on two Azamara cruises and loved them. Then we were on G Adventures ship Expedition to Antarctica. This spring coming we are going on Expedition up the coast of Norway and then spending three days in the high Arctic.

You really want a smaller ship even than the Azamara ones even if you don't care to go out on zodiacs (which were an amazing part of our Antarctica trip.) We will get into smaller places more easily and all excursions are included on this trip on Expedition. We were amazed by the food while in Antarctica. There was some high level cuisine and amazing variety. We could all be seated in the dining room at one time and, more importantly in the lounge for debriefings and other events.

Thank you all! You have helped us considerably in making our decision. We've been to Norway a couple of times and it's OK, but not enough to warrant multiple trips back. We really like it that HAL also goes to quite a few ports in Iceland as well as the Faroe Islands, whereas Azamara and Princess pretty much just go from Norway to Longyearbyen and maybe Ny Alesund (Azamara) and then back to Norway. So if we decide to go, then HAL will probably get the nod. Thanks again for your thoughts!