Princess Cruise Line-Boarding pass

Kevin/Deb in FL

In about 2 weeks our cruise will be departing but I have received no information from Princess other than the 2 mails (one requesting final payment and another about booking shore excursions). When I called Princess I was told they are now electronic and if I wanted boarding pass, luggage tags ect. I would have to go online and print them. I guess Princess is the adopted Delta and Spirits policies.

So I went online, but I could not print my boarding pass because you must provide the cruise line with a credit card for on board purchases before you will be allowed to print boarding passes. Even though I paid a substantial amount money to this cruise line they will even give me boarding pass, and to top that off the cruise line representative stated your boarding will be delayed because you have not supplied a credit card number.

I've cruised with Princess before, but never encountered anything like this.

I wish I could still cancel this cruise and get my money back

In about 2 weeks our cruise will be departing but I have received no information from Princess other than the 2 mails (one requesting final payment and another about booking shore excursions). When I called Princess I was told they are now electronic and if I wanted boarding pass, luggage tags ect. I would have to go online and print them. I guess Princess is the adopted Delta and Spirits policies.

So I went online, but I could not print my boarding pass because you must provide the cruise line with a credit card for on board purchases before you will be allowed to print boarding passes. Even though I paid a substantial amount money to this cruise line they will even give me boarding pass, and to top that off the cruise line representative stated your boarding will be delayed because you have not supplied a credit card number.

Once we provided our credit card we got everything but y would u cancel b/c of tht issue???

Many businesses are trying to reduce costs. One way the airlines and now the cruise lines have found is to reduce the amount of paper and the mailing of that paper. Princess has you enter all the checkin information online before the cruise. You also have to print your boarding pass and luggage tags.

You do not have to use the credit card you put into the personalizer as your card for payment, as they will swipe whatever card you bring for your on board purchases. I have done this for over 5 years with no problem and it should expedite your check in. Just put one down for getting your boarding pass and luggage tags and use another one for your check in. It's not worth getting all worked uabout as they can't really use it for anything since you are fully paid, and cancelling the cruise would be like cutting off your nose to spite your face. I don't like he procedure myself (and have even putt in an old card number, with no problems.) Also I like printing out my luggage tags myself, and having my boarding pass to look at as it makes it seem more real.:D

Just take ten deep breaths and think about relaxing once you get on board.

So did you expect that just because you paid a "substantial amount of money," you weren't going to have to provide a credit card to cover incidental purchases onboard? It's no different than a hotel asking for a cc before they'll hand over the room key.

But by all means, cancel now before you get onboard and discover some other routine hospitality-industry practice of Princess's that irks you. No doubt you purchased insurance?

And when was this cruise? Unfortunately "for you" we live in a rapidly changing environment -- whether it is cruising or iPhone or on-line booking!

It must have been quite a while since you cruised Princess. Online PIF forms have been in place for several years. It's absolutely nothing new.

If you don't want to enter your credit card, you can have your TA call and give them your credit card number. It's not for just onboard expenses but for the Hotel Service Charge (aka "auto-tip") as well, which I assume you plan to leave in place.

FYI, we ALL pay money to cruise and just about everyone has no problem filling out their PIF with their credit card. The few who don't, have their TA do it for them. If this still bothers you, you can always cancel. However, you'll find that just about every cruiseline now requires this.

Edited by Pam in CA

So did you expect that just because you paid a "substantial amount of money," you weren't going to have to provide a credit card to cover incidental purchases onboard? It's no different than a hotel asking for a cc before they'll hand over the room key.

But by all means, cancel now before you get onboard and discover some other routine hospitality-industry practice of Princess's that irks you. No doubt you purchased insurance?

you always seem to write what i am thinking, but much more eloquently than i.

I, for one, thank God every day for the ability to do everything online. In fact, we have done this since our Star Princess cruise in 2002. it was new, then. But on our first 'modern day' cruise,on Royal Princess in 1999, two weeks before cruising, we had no docs. Nothing in the mail. Our TA was frantically calling CA/Princess about it. Seems they were having trouble with their printers and couldn't print out airline tickets...eTickets were very new then. We finally got our docs by FedEx TWO (2) days before we were to fly to Buenos Aires to board the ship! Thank goodness for the internet...we will never have to go through that again! EM

You do not have to use the credit card you put into the personalizer as your card for payment, as they will swipe whatever card you bring for your on board purchases. I have done this for over 5 years with no problem and it should expedite your check in. Just put one down for getting your boarding pass and luggage tags and use another one for your check in. It's not worth getting all worked uabout as they can't really use it for anything since you are fully paid, and cancelling the cruise would be like cutting off your nose to spite your face. I don't like he procedure myself (and have even putt in an old card number, with no problems.) Also I like printing out my luggage tags myself, and having my boarding pass to look at as it makes it seem more real.:D

Just take ten deep breaths and think about relaxing once you get on board.

About an hour ago I printed our e tickets for our next cruise. I did not enter a credit card number and never have done since e tickets have been available. I leave that part blank and as long as the cruise is paid in full there has never been a problem printing them. When we check in, I write 'Cash Payment' across the CC details space, and once on board make a payment into our accounts. I do this because Princess made several mistakes on our account several years ago and although the sum of money we lost wasn't particularly big, it took a long time to get things sorted out.

I have been on over 15 cruises and on every occasion I've never provided a credit card for purchases on board. I deal in cash only. Every other cruise has sent me all the required document prior to the cruise. Finally when I booked this cruise there was no mentioned that a credit card was required to cruise, nor was there any mention that everything was electronic.

If had know this information prior to booking I would not have booked.

I have been on over 15 cruises and on every occasion I've never provided a credit card for purchases on board. I deal in cash only. Every other cruise has sent me all the required document prior to the cruise. Finally when I booked this cruise there was no mentioned that a credit card was required to cruise, nor was there any mention that everything was electronic.

Wow! Princess has been 100% electronic for years. Sorry you weren't aware of this but your TA should have notified or educated you. Once onboard, you can put cash down and your credit card will not be charged.

You can also send yourself a "gift" of money that will be on your onboard account when you board. But for printing your boarding pass, you must put a credit card # down. It's not charged if you don't want it to be by using cash. Again, your TA should have let you know about these possibilities. If you didn't use a TA, then you assume all responsibility for knowing what needs to be done.

I just went to my cruise reservation and re-read the cruise contract and it said your must arrive 2 prior to the leaving and attach baggage tags to your luggage. Upon boarding the ship you must provide a credit card or make other arrangements to take care of on board charges.

Again no requirement to provide a credit card prior to the cruise. I made this reservation myself at the cruise line.

I just went to my cruise reservation and re-read the cruise contract and it said your must arrive 2 prior to the leaving and attach baggage tags to your luggage. Upon boarding the ship you must provide a credit card or make other arrangements to take care of on board charges.

Again no requirement to provide a credit card prior to the cruise. I made this reservation myself at the cruise line.

99% of all passengers use credit cards or debit cards so this is the default. I haven't made an airline or hotel reservation in years that didn't require a credit card to book, and when I get to the hotel, they require a credit card when checking in. This is the norm. As said, you don't HAVE to provide a credit card but it'll take a lot longer for you to check in as you won't have a boarding pass.

As I said above, when you book on your own without a TA, these are the things that you need to find out ahead of time as you assume all responsibility for knowing them. Most of the time when you book directly, you're talking to just a reservation agent. Speaking of which, did you send cash or give them a credit card to book the cruise?

Edited by Pam in CA

99% of all passengers use credit cards or debit cards so this is the default. I haven't made an airline or hotel reservation in years that didn't require a credit card to book, and when I get to the hotel, they require a credit card when checking in. This is the norm. As said, you don't HAVE to provide a credit card but it'll take a lot longer for you to check in as you won't have a boarding pass.

As I said above, when you book on your own without a TA, these are the things that you need to find out ahead of time as you assume all responsibility for knowing them. Most of the time when you book directly, you're talking to just a reservation agent. Speaking of which, did you send cash or give them a credit card to book the cruise?

I'm curious to hear his answer as well. I also agree with you that it is nearly impossible to book a hotel room without a credit card and that Princess along with other lines has been doing this for the longest time.

... Finally when I booked this cruise there was no mentioned that a credit card was required to cruise, nor was there any mention that everything was electronic.

You are not required to have or use a credit card for your cruise, but providing this information ahead of time will make your check-in faster. If you choose to forego entering credit card data into the Personalizer ahead of time, you will obtain your boarding pass and luggage tags at the pier.

Same thing for the Passenger Immigration form, you can complete that at the pier if you do not wish to take advantage of the electronic version in your Personalizer. Please do note that this form must be submitted by law 90 minutes prior to the scheduled sailing time, so be sure to allow yourself enough time to process it. Or you can complete it online electronically. Or you can call Princess directly and give them the information over the phone. Your choice.

There are no ticket booklets or other documentation mailed to you any longer.

About an hour ago I printed our e tickets for our next cruise. I did not enter a credit card number and never have done since e tickets have been available. I leave that part blank and as long as the cruise is paid in full there has never been a problem printing them. ....
This is possible for UK pax, but on this side of the pond we have to enter a credit card. Of course, the crafty ones enter a card, print out the boarding passes, and then delete the card from their profile.

This is possible for UK pax, but on this side of the pond we have to enter a credit card. Of course, the crafty ones enter a card, print out the boarding passes, and then delete the card from their profile.

I just said that. (check my previous post) .

But I decided to keep it there. We always settle our account the night before and whenever possible in cash.

Edited by HMSDingy

I've been on over 20 cruises and I've ALWAYS had to provide a credit card.

This isn't only Princess. I've cruised HAL, Celebrity, NCL, RCI, etc, and they have all required the same thing.

Once on board, you may remove your card and give them a cash deposit.

I am in the UK so that must be why I never have a problem printing my ticket. Also I always have OBC because I register for Future Cruise Sales. That may help too already being in credit. Also, coming from the UK, we don't have to pay a deposit when we register for future cruise sales which I believe the US and Canada do have to.