Looking to book a new cruise, would a TA get us a better deal?

Karen13

We have sailed with Windstar three times before, and have always been very happy with the line. Have always booked direct. We are now looking at the Panama Canal and Costa Rica cruise for January 2019.

We are are from the UK. I regularly see TAs offering OBC etc on other lines, but few deal with Windstar. Can anyone advise me whether we would get a better deal if we tried to book though a TA rather than direct?

Thanks for any advice!

In my opinion, if you are going in early January, the prices tend to really drop. I would stalk the prices through several online consolidators or agencies. Then when the prices drop take the info and see if your favorite agency would match it. My agency always has plus throws in $100 per person.

I just used two sites to check. Again in my opinion, the only one with a decent price is January 5th and it might even go down more because that week tends to be slow. However if you need to nail it down, reserve and then keep checking maybe twice a week for any decreases on the Windstar webpages. Up to a certain point, they will adjust your cost.

Windstar doesn't have the volume of cabins that the big lines have so there is less competition for customers via OBC offers.

Up to a certain point, they will adjust your cost.

It’s up to 120 days before your cruise. And they will choose between giving you a cabin upgrade, OBC, future cruise credit or refund price difference.

Since you are from the U.K., not sure if this would be different for you.

A cruise I booked just added an OBC offer this week, so I cancelled and rebooked to get this offer. I don’t know if you could do this or not.

I’ve never gotten money back, but have received OBC and cabin upgrade.

I also wouldn’t book January yet. I’d keep watching the price.

My understanding is that TAs will rebate back some portion of their commissions. They do seem to know,or should know, about promotions and which questions to ask. I’ve booked both ways with Windstar and would use a TA who’s familiar with the line.

We have been cruising for years and ALWAYS did everything ourselves. On the last two cruises I went to a travel agent that was offering a rebate on her commission. Both times I was issued a check for 11% of the booking that I received from the travel agent in the mail. It was worth it and will do it from now on. On both cruises I booked with the cruise line (Windstar and Oceania), paid my deposit, and then was able to transfer the booking to the TA. I was astounded and DW was really skeptical. Not anymore. Only thing I give up is I cant call the cruise line direct and discuss anything about money.

I usually hold the booking and transfer to a TA shortly before final payment. Last time on Windstar we received a check mailed after completing the cruise. For our upcoming trip on the Windsurf we saved a significant amount of money off the brochure price.