Why Hurtigruten?

joanna111

I have don both - Royal Caribbean Cruise Line Norwegian Fjords and Hurtigruten.

Hurtigruten is 'a working ship' or expedition type of ship - relatively small (300 to 500) - all their ships are quite different and no shows or entertainment - also all Hurtigruten stops are quite short compared to the full day for a cruise line.

I did RCCL because of the facilities at the ship and the port of calls while I did Hurtigruten because of the nature, views from the ship and the 'Midnight Sun) - quite different - I have made review from both trips - specific questions are welcome!

RCCL Norwegian Fjords and Hurtig Ruten Midnight Sun

0fw7Rn17ua0

7RluhBtgkd0

• 2 weeks later...

@hallasm

Thank you very much for your reviews. These provides excellent reference for us.

questions:

1) if you have only 1 Norway fjord cruise in your entire life, which one? the big cruise ships or Hurtigruten?

2) your started the tour from Bodo instead of Bergen, may I ask why? Hurtigruten website lists every sailing from Bergen to Kirkenes. Are the cruising between Bergen & Bodo not worth it?

@hallasm

Thank you very much for your reviews. These provides excellent reference for us.

questions:

1) if you have only 1 Norway fjord cruise in your entire life, which one? the big cruise ships or Hurtigruten?

2) your started the tour from Bodo instead of Bergen, may I ask why? Hurtigruten website lists every sailing from Bergen to Kirkenes. Are the cruising between Bergen & Bodo not worth it?

Difficult to answer you question. however I'll do my best. Please do not hesitate from asking more questions. With 30+ cruises, I'm a fan of the 'cruise ship concept'

Hurtigruten is working ships with multiple short stops, also during nights - most stops are 15 minuts - few from 2 to 4 hours - With Hurtigruten you cannot plan you own excursions due to the relatively short stops - you can buy excursions from Hurtigruten, but rather expensive. Food onboard Hurtigruten is good and included - drinks might be a bit expensive.

Hurtigruten will pass all the scenic fjords as the cruise ships does - and much more .

I originally planned to do only one Norwegian fjords cruise and found the traditional 7 nights cruise ship to be the best option.

Last year I decided for a Midnight Sun Cruise - Traditional cruises ship Midnight Sun cruises are relatively long - I only did have limited time - hence I selected Hurtigruten - Since I already have done the southern Fjords from Bergen to Ålesund I did sail Hurtigruten from Bodø to Kirkenes - 3 nights above the Artic Circle - you han embark / disembark at any of the 35 ports on the route from Bergen to Kirkenes - but most trips are sold either as North- or South bound or make the return trip.

I did the reduced trip only because og the Sun - the Fjords between Bergen and Bodø are amazing

This is the Fjords in the Southern part of Norway

_ZzhGY8x_2E

@hallasm

Thank you. does Hurtigruten ships also hit the same fjords the big ships go to? I'm getting more and more interested in doing that instead of the big ships

Depends - cruise ships does have various routes - Hurtigruten do not sail into Sognefjord - many cruise ships does - during summer Hurtigruten does sail into Storfjorden and Geiranger.

Most cruise ships does not sail Trollfjord and Raftsund

Link to all ports and time table

http://wasleys.org.uk/norway_exhp_mw/norwaytext/11times.html