Excursions

kiwigirl

Hi,

As posted in another thread, we are booked for the Hurtigruten Southbound (Kirkenes-Bergen) on the MS Polarlys in September. I am also interested in anyones opinion on the Excursions. We are leaning towards 'The Breakfast at North Cape & The Sea Eagle Safari'. However being quite pricey it would be good to know if they offer value for money. Are they such fantastic experiences? Is the Cathedral Concert in Tromso a must also?

Many thanks.

I'm booked for some excursions for our cruise in mid June - I'll make a review by then

Hi,

As posted in another thread, we are booked for the Hurtigruten Southbound (Kirkenes-Bergen) on the MS Polarlys in September. I am also interested in anyones opinion on the Excursions. We are leaning towards 'The Breakfast at North Cape & The Sea Eagle Safari'. However being quite pricey it would be good to know if they offer value for money. Are they such fantastic experiences? Is the Cathedral Concert in Tromso a must also?

Many thanks.

Cheers

T.

We have done the Breakfast at the North Cape and loved it.....one time it was very foggy, the other time sunny and bright. No views in the fog, but great atmosphere! With the breakfast excursion, Hurtigruten is the only ship there, so you have the place to yourself. I have never done the Eagle Safari, but it gets rave reviews. As for the concert in the Arctic Church, people enjoy it, but it is late in the evening and we never made it due to the hour! People I talked to did enjoy it and the venue is very special.

We have done the Breakfast at the North Cape and loved it.....one time it was very foggy, the other time sunny and bright. No views in the fog, but great atmosphere! With the breakfast excursion, Hurtigruten is the only ship there, so you have the place to yourself. I have never done the Eagle Safari, but it gets rave reviews. As for the concert in the Arctic Church, people enjoy it, but it is late in the evening and we never made it due to the hour! People I talked to did enjoy it and the venue is very special.

Many thanks. Appreciate your thoughts. I think I'm definitely convinced about the North Cape Breakfast.

T.

Hi,

Many thanks.

Cheers

T.

I really enjoyed the Breakfast at the North Cape. In addition to the visit to the museum and monument, and a great buffet breakfast, we stopped at a Sami family store with a display of Sami culture and tent, and had a scenic drive both going to the Cape and returning on the bus.

I also did the Sea Eagle Safari, which was a highlight of my trip. You get off the ship onto a smaller boat (underway) and in addition to the sea eagles (pretty much guaranteed to see at least 2-3 pairs), you go into the Trollfjord at the same time as the ship, so can take photos of both the fjord and your cruise ship from the smaller boat. The boat then takes you all the way to the next port (Svolvaer) to meet the cruise ship again. Dress warmly as you will be outside on the deck of the small boat for the entire trip.

I visited the Arctic Cathedral on the way north during daylight (with an excursion) and decided to not go to the midnight concert on the way south due to how late it was, but those who went really enjoyed it.

• 5 weeks later...
I'm booked for some excursions for our cruise in mid June - I'll make a review by then

Can't wait to hear about your trip and excursions. We are booking March 2018 RT.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 2 months later...

We just returned from this trip. We did the Breakfast at North Cape and were extremely lucky with the weather. It was clear blue skies and sunshine the whole time but very windy. The breakfast is the basic buffet breakfast like we had at our hotel in Oslo. Much smaller selection than the ship. One tip....have breakfast first as almost everyone else will go right outside. The breakfast area is pretty small and will get crowded quickly. We were able to have our breakfast while everyone was outside. By the time we finished, the buffet area was crowded and the outside area was empty.

I did not do the Midnight concert but the rest of my group did. They said it was beautiful music but I believe no pictures are allowed inside.

We didn't do the Sea Eagle excursion but did see them from the ship.

Hi,

Many thanks.

Cheers

T.

• 5 months later...

Does anyone have first hand reports of the trip to the Russian border?

Is there anything to "see"? A sign? Border crossing (I think not)? Or?

I thought I read somewhere about a souvenir shop, but everything else I've seen makes that seem quite unlikely.

Even if there's not much there, it may be our only chance to see a Russian border, given that I don't think we'll be doing other Russian cruises/trips.

(And for us, "of a certain age", things with Russia were quite different back in the day...)

Also, there are some bomb shelters or something like that in Kirkenes? Does the tour by any chance do both?

We'll be there in mid-March, if the time of year makes a big difference.

It's time for us to start narrowing these choices.

Thanks!

GC

We did this tour in August 2017. We went with my in-laws. There wasn't really to much to it. The souvenir shop is very small. The border itself wasn't anything impressive. You really only know because you were told. I will look and see if I can find my pictures.

The bomb shelter is on the way to the border. You walk a short distance into the shelter and watch a movie (about 15-20 minutes) and then back to the bus. I think I have some pictures of this also.

Does anyone have first hand reports of the trip to the Russian border?

Is there anything to "see"? A sign? Border crossing (I think not)? Or?

I thought I read somewhere about a souvenir shop, but everything else I've seen makes that seem quite unlikely.

Even if there's not much there, it may be our only chance to see a Russian border, given that I don't think we'll be doing other Russian cruises/trips.

(And for us, "of a certain age", things with Russia were quite different back in the day...)

Also, there are some bomb shelters or something like that in Kirkenes? Does the tour by any chance do both?

We'll be there in mid-March, if the time of year makes a big difference.

It's time for us to start narrowing these choices.

Thanks!

GC