Star Clipper , north route out of Phuket.

Ional

Just returned home after a great 3 weeks in Thailand. Our week on the Star Clipper was very good, the first few days up to the outer Islands were beautiful, and we were just under sail for the first 2 nights. Snorkling off the beaches was good for me, as I hate getting in off the tenders. Weather excellent, until we got closer to land at the end (thunder storms late afternoon). The sea was flat calm...hardly any movement. The crew were as smiley as always and food very good. BBQ good, though at a busy beach, and Phang Nga Bay at the end amazing. Peter Kissner was cruise director, so excellent talks, and the Captain Sergey Tunikov, a very professional and talented man, especially on the Spanish guitar! It was our 5th trip in various parts of the world.

However I am not sure that I will be booking a sixth trip aboard. This Ship is getting tired and dated. Our cabin 305, had a nasty smell all week. Drains, not actually sewage. We have a sailing boat and I know how clogged our pipes get, the pipes on the Clipper all need stripping out. Some people in Cat 1 cabins had no water every afternoon, and not enough for showers in the morning. They were told the Ship was waiting for a new pump.....not at all satisfactory, and many people were cross.

The tenders too are so uncomfortable....the orange paint came off on my legs and on shorts, and they are very hard to sit on. Ours broke down whilst doing the photo shoot and we had to transfer to another at sea, no problem, but it shows how hard they are worked. Modern ships have changed since these were built. I hope the Flying Clipper has better tenders. Excursions on only a few days, and very expensive and too long. 7 hours in a coach in Langkowi for 117 Euros each. We didnt go, those that did came back exhausted.

We felt that 12 months out here in the tropics non stop is too much for this 26 year old Ship. She needs a refit, and soon. Running repairs whilst at sea are not going to fix the drains, let alone all the other services. We love the Star Clippers, I do hope they sort out the problems, wonder what condition the Flyer and Royal are in?

Copied my moan to Monaco. Just had a very nice reply. Seems the pump appeared the day we left and they are replacing the pipes. Acknowledged that there was a problem. Plus noted my other issues. 10/10 to them.