Baltic Cruise for 11 days Princess Regal in May Carry-on Only...what to pack?

MsMary56

I'm trying to figure out what to wear on the cruise. I really only want a carry-on and know some laundry will be required. I only wear pants anymore, so dresses are not an option. I also wear a size 12 to 16w so my clothes seem to be well, big. I do dress for dinner, dressy jersey fabric palazzo pants with silk tunics and a scarf or pashmina. What would you pack? Also does anyone have a recommendation for a great somewhat dressy jean in plus-size with spandex that can take a couple of wearings without stretching out.

I find the extras take more room than the clothing.

Neutral jackets/cardigans and bottoms with colored tops. Limit the amount of shoes.

Reduce the amount of your toiletries, the number you take and the volume. Figure out how much you need of any one thing. For me, I know I can get 14 uses out of a travel toothpaste and 10 uses of hair gel from one side of a contact lens case. At home there are two ways of figuring how much you need. Either put the product in the travel container and use that. OR weigh your product and after the allotted time, weigh again. The difference is how much you used.

Bring some Febreeze or make your own. Lots of recipes online.

Look at a few websites

ladylightyravel.com for figuring out your stuff, especially look at her makeup, toiletry and travel articles

theviviennefiles.com for clothing color ideas.

I can't imagine how you will only go with a carry on.

Be sure you have thought carefully what you will need to wear for the ports because even in May it can be chilly and rainy so layering clothing is very key to enjoy the ports.

Keith

MIx and match, dark neutral (better for travel because of stains) and laundry, a couple of scarves (or jewelry) for color. It's much easier for me to pack light for cooler temps ;-) Layers for weather ranges - wet, cool etc. Wear heaviest stuff on plane instead of packing - these are the basics that any of the packing light sites will teach you. I did a 13 day trip (including 9 days river cruise) in December carry-on, and I've done long trips in Asia where I used a 22" bag - could've gone carry-on but sometimes I pack wine so I need to check the bag. A 22" rolling bag and a tote (as my personal item - purse goes inside it) can actually fit a whole lot. Attached is my packing capsule from that river cruise trip.

For jeans, try NYDJ (I've found on sale at Nordstrom and at the Rack) or Lands End. I don't wear jeans often (just not my personal style) and I don't travel with them (heavy and they take a long time to dry if it rains or I do laundry) but I've had a few pairs of Lands End over the years - size 10 through 16 - and I like the way they fit me. I like the slim ankle length in a dark finish - I have this pair now (bought on 50% sale last year) https://www.landsend.com/products/womens-not-too-low-rise-slim-leg-jeans/id_314737?sku_0=::4TJ

River Cruise capsule.pdf

I'm trying to figure out what to wear on the cruise. I really only want a carry-on and know some laundry will be required. I only wear pants anymore, so dresses are not an option. I also wear a size 12 to 16w so my clothes seem to be well, big. I do dress for dinner, dressy jersey fabric palazzo pants with silk tunics and a scarf or pashmina. What would you pack? Also does anyone have a recommendation for a great somewhat dressy jean in plus-size with spandex that can take a couple of wearings without stretching out.

We wear similar sizes. For our Baltic trip I wore Chicos black ponte pants and jeans. We had some hot days so be prepared for that also.

http://www.theviviennefiles.com/p/packing.html

My favorite site for helping me mix & match my (existing) clothing. Some of her packing list ideas are for cool/uncertain weather. I like the 4X4 template - it's what works well for my personal shopping style. Others might prefer the "whatever's clean" x13 pieces. Some people are overwhelmed by the site - she has a LOT of options (a few "templates" to choose from, and then you get into different color schemes and different temperatures, so yes, there is a LOT to browse!)

I always bring a piece of clothing at the extreme end of the other side of expected temps - so a short sleeve shirt I could wear with other pants if my "cold" trip turns warm. A long sleeve sweater/coat and maybe shoes with socks on a warm trip, etc. Sometimes you get stuck somewhere else during travel, sometimes weather changes more than expected to. Usually it's possible to shop, but esp for work I often travel places where I (a size 14 American woman) can't always replace clothing easily. And forget replacing a 38DDD bra in Asia.

Here are some other good suggestions on how many pieces to take and how to put things together: https://unefemme.net/2017/09/fall-travel-wardrobe-planning.html

As well as tips on picking clothes that travel well and multi-task.

For Alaska be sure you have a really waterproof rain jacket of some type (not just water resistent but water repellent). I would recommend taking one that's not heavy and just layering a sweater or fleece under it if it is cold.

For Alaska .

She's going to the Baltics....

[though I agree with you on the specifics of your recommendation - I have a goretex raincoat I love and have had forever, and depending on where/when I travel, will also bring a fleece jacket and can then mix/match depending on weather that day]

She's going to the Baltics....

[though I agree with you on the specifics of your recommendation - I have a goretex raincoat I love and have had forever, and depending on where/when I travel, will also bring a fleece jacket and can then mix/match depending on weather that day]

Oops. My mind read Baltics initially but somehow in my response (thinking cool and possibly rainy) it became Alaska. As you note, not too much difference in recommended clothing!

Another thing to consider....

Check out your carryon allowances.

Some carriers allow one suitcase and a personal item, others allow only one. Watch the weight. There’s a large variance between the weights of the suitcases, even those labeled ‘Lightweight’.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I would bring a couple of short sleeve shirts, a couple of long sleeve, and maybe some type of fleece, Layering is key, so is the type of fabric you choose-some type of polyester/rayon/spandex is lightweight and dries easily. Eddie Bauer makes an Infinity Tee that I love. It dries in a few hours. You could probably fish your closet for something similar. Cotton takes forever to dry so I’d avoid that. I usually bring 2 short sleeve tops, 2 long sleeve, and 2 couple of fancy blouses in neutral colors and you can change the look with scarves or necklaces. For Pants, 1 pair of jeans, and an a pair of lightweight pants. Palazzo Pants are great for evenings. I also bring leggings for warmth or to wear with tops as a nice extra. I would limit myself to 2or three pairs of shoes. I really cut down on toiletries or wait until I’m at my destination. I only bring basic makeup and a mini curling iron. I do pack on the light and wash clothes with tide packets or shampoo while I’m in the shower. I bring a clothes line and a piece a dry cleaning plastic for drips.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I spent 2 weeks in western Europe in November - including a river cruise - with just a carry - on.

2 long sleeved tops, 1 short sleeved top.

1 black cardigan, 1 grey jacket

1 warm sweater.

1 pair jeans, 1 pair black J Jill pants

2 pairs of shoes - 1 grey, 1 black. Both flats.

5 pairs undies, 5 pairs black socks, 2 bras.

3 scarves

1 fleece vest

1 rain jacket

Warm hat, gloves

I bought toiletries when I arrived in Switzerland and took minimal makeup.

I bought an umbrella there for 5 euros. It fell apart the day before I flew home, so it lasted the perfect length of time.

I travelled that light because my trip included several trains - which meant hauling my luggage up and down stairs (the elevators don't always work) along with managing my bags on and off of the trains themselves. It worked very well. I stayed warm enough and never felt underdressed or out of place.

I did this a few years ago for the same cruise & I'm a plus size gal. Wore my boots & a pair of jeans on the plane along with my coat. I'm a dresses girl but I did wear some leggings with long tunic tops. I brought sample sizes of makeup that I could toss after I was finished with it.

It can be done & honestly its my preferred method of travel.

• 3 weeks later...

Re: Jeans,

I love the newer high rise pull on jeans -- eliminates muffin top, as well as tucking in other areas. Technically not true jeans, as most don't have a real zipper, many have a wide stretchy waistband. I have a couple pair of the brand Liverpool, but there are others. I prefer to have tops that cover my butt as I buy the skinny type. Wow,this type of jean is comfortable. They can be called, leggings, jeggings, etc. I have tried on a pair that fit more loosely than the skinny types too. If you aren't sure about it, try Zappos, or another online store that offers free returns. FWIW, i'm a 60+ year old, so these aren't just for kids.