Men's Spa Facilities on Cruise ships: Which ones do you think are the best?

And while they're at it, why not put a damn clock in there so we have a clue what time it is!

My complaint about the Victory and others is no water fountain. All that heat and sweat and no water to drink except from the sink.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 4 weeks later...

I had the same problem posting pictures. But then I downloaded an app called tapatalk, found CruiseCritic on tapatalk and scrolled down to find the correct thread. When I posted my comment, I could easily post pictures and they showed up when I logged onto CruiseCritic. Seems like an extra step, but it works.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey, men! Founding poster Gigglewolf here. In amazement this thread is going-on 13 years! Obviously, there are many of us who are avid members of the spa community at sea and on land. Thank you for graciously sharing your insights & impressions of the facilities found aboard countless ships.

I haven’t sailed in the last few years, but am looking forward to a weekend getaway aboard the Explorer of the Seas in September of this year. As many of you know, the Voyage & Freedom-class ships on RCI have some of the best and largest steam & sauna facilities at sea...and hopeful I’ll have a chance to release some stress that weekend. ;)

I also enjoy visiting land-based men’s spas, so let me know if any of you gents might suggest a way for us to share feedback on these types of facilities outside of CC. Feel-free to reach-out: Steamcruiser at gmail dot com. :evilsmile:

Will be sailing on the Celebrity Edge in December 2018. Has anyone heard what the spa design/layout will be on this ship? Especially anything in regards to sauna/steam available in the locker rooms? Thanks.

The plan for Celebrity Edge gym/spa has been revealed. Spa area (deck 14) has no gender-specific space, only co-ed. :( There are no locker or bathroom facilities in the gym area located above the spa. The men's and women's changing areas - fairly small, interior spaces - in the spa have no detail in the design drawings. Have to wait for our first review for more specifics.

Hey, men! Founding poster Gigglewolf here. In amazement this thread is going-on 13 years! Obviously, there are many of us who are avid members of the spa community at sea and on land. Thank you for graciously sharing your insights & impressions of the facilities found aboard countless ships.

I haven’t sailed in the last few years, but am looking forward to a weekend getaway aboard the Explorer of the Seas in September of this year. As many of you know, the Voyage & Freedom-class ships on RCI have some of the best and largest steam & sauna facilities at sea...and hopeful I’ll have a chance to release some stress that weekend. ;)

I also enjoy visiting land-based men’s spas, so let me know if any of you gents might suggest a way for us to share feedback on these types of facilities outside of CC. Feel-free to reach-out: Steamcruiser at gmail dot com. :evilsmile:

WELCOME BACK!! Wishing you a great weekend escape in September!

The plan for Celebrity Edge gym/spa has been revealed. Spa area (deck 14) has no gender-specific space, only co-ed. :( There are no locker or bathroom facilities in the gym area located above the spa. The men's and women's changing areas - fairly small, interior spaces - in the spa have no detail in the design drawings. Have to wait for our first review for more specifics.

Oh dear, that’s not good news, don’t think I’ll be sailing on the Edge then. :(

Hi twodjs :)

I am still trying to understand the objection to having Co ed steam / sauna areas. Many couples like to relax in these areas together. Our LGBT friends have that luxury, what is wrong with the hetero couples enjoying the same? I am truly trying to understand why this is an issue. I would hate to go steam alone instead of enjoying the company of my significant other.

Thanks for the input.

I am still trying to understand the objection to having Co ed steam / sauna areas. Many couples like to relax in these areas together. Our LGBT friends have that luxury, what is wrong with the hetero couples enjoying the same? I am truly trying to understand why this is an issue. I would hate to go steam alone instead of enjoying the company of my significant other.

Thanks for the input.

The main problem is not being able to use the spa facilities in the nude. The steam room is especially suited to be used without clothing. In Germany the spa culture is completely different. There are no taboos against coed nudity. You go to a spa in Germany and you will see man and women use the steam room completely nude. In fact they have set protocols. In the steam room you 1st hose down the bench, then you sit completely nude - men & women combined.

Here in the U. S. It's completely the opposite. So much so that even in a single sex steam room I've seen many, many men completely dressed in their workout clothes go into a steam room-even with a cell phone & headphones!

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Forums mobile app

The main problem is not being able to use the spa facilities in the nude. The steam room is especially suited to be used without clothing. In Germany the spa culture is completely different. There are no taboos against coed nudity. You go to a spa in Germany and you will see man and women use the steam room completely nude. In fact they have set protocols. In the steam room you 1st hose down the bench, then you sit completely nude - men & women combined.

Here in the U. S. It's completely the opposite. So much so that even in a single sex steam room I've seen many, many men completely dressed in their workout clothes go into a steam room-even with a cell phone & headphones!

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Forums mobile app

Ok Im young, but I just assumed all steam rooms were in the nude lol. But like our German friends, I dont see the problem with co ed nudity. But thank you for explaining. :)

I tried the co-ed spa on the Carnival Dream with my Wife once....not for me.

Never been in a louder, less relaxing "relaxation" environment in my life. Some people just can't shut up, no matter what the environment.

Many of us go to sauna/steam to relax, not carry on lengthy, loud conversations. The folks who use the facilities to catch up on conversations with friends/spouses are why I personally prefer single gender spaces.

A 14 day cruise, together 24/7.....I'd think many guys (and gals I assume) just appreciate having a spot to go relax ALONE for an hour. Not to mention, co-ed spaces usually cost $$$, single gender are often free of charge.

Thanks for the input.

I have no objection at all to co-ed spa areas. Many ships are designed with extensive co-ed spaces. Others (mostly older designs) offer both co-ed and gender-specific. Some only offer gender-specific areas. If enjoying the co-ed experience is important to you, I'm sorry you didn't consider that before booking, because many will make a ship decision in part based on the spa design. Since at least some using the men's only steam and spa (for whatever reason) made that decision deliberately, I'm suggesting that you honor that decision and not try to change gender-specific to co-ed. :)

I have no objection at all to co-ed spa areas. Many ships are designed with extensive co-ed spaces. Others (mostly older designs) offer both co-ed and gender-specific. Some only offer gender-specific areas. If enjoying the co-ed experience is important to you, I'm sorry you didn't consider that before booking, because many will make a ship decision in part based on the spa design. Since at least some using the men's only steam and spa (for whatever reason) made that decision deliberately, I'm suggesting that you honor that decision and not try to change gender-specific to co-ed. :)

You make excellent points. I would not want to co opt someone else’s vacatiom or relaxation time. Thank you 😊

You make excellent points. I would not want to co opt someone else’s vacation or relaxation time. Thank you 😊

You make excellent points. I would not want to co opt someone else’s vacation or relaxation time. Thank you 😊

Sorry, I didn't realize this will be your first cruise. So you wouldn't know that on all major cruise lines, in the co-ed areas of the spa, clothing (swim suit or other coverup) is required at all times. In the gender-specific areas, it tends to be clothing optional, especially later in the cruise. That is one reason why some prefer the men's or women's only areas.

• Like 1

I sail on the Independence of the Seas tomorrow! Looking forward to my spa time.

Last week I went to the Friedrichsbad in Baden Baden. There are separate facilities for men and women and it is totally nude. There is one part that is coed. That was nude also. It was my first mixed naked spa experience. After the first 30 seconds it was no big deal.

I sail on the Independence of the Seas tomorrow! Looking forward to my spa time.

Last week I went to the Friedrichsbad in Baden Baden. There are separate facilities for men and women and it is totally nude. There is one part that is coed. That was nude also. It was my first mixed naked spa experience. After the first 30 seconds it was no big deal.

Maybe Virgin Voyages will shake up the industry and offer a co-ed clothing optional spa area. Have to wait until 2020 when their first ship sails. Early reveals certainly show a large outdoor area as part of the fitness area. Maybe a European-style sun bathing area? :confused:

I have to laugh about a post I just made mentioning Virgin Voyages. I watched part of the reveal again and and they do have a large outdoor lounge toward the top rear of the ship called the Athletic Club - but I'm guessing it really has nothing to do with the gym. Still looks like space for a clothing optional sunning area on the deck above that...after all, this will be an adults-only ship (18 and up).