Passports and overnights off the ship

Kate-AHF

We will take our first cruise on silversea in three weeks. I believe (and please let me know if I'm wrong) that Silversea collects all passports upon embarkation and returns them at the end of the cruise. I'm fine with that - Seabourn operates the same way.

My question is this... we are disembarking in Porto and staying for one night, and catching up with the ship the next day in Lisbon, where the Muse will overnight..

Collect our passports for this sub-trip or not? We will be staying in-country, and I wouldn't normally collect our passports for a normal shore-ex. Should something really awful happen, I'm sure Silversea would work with us to return our passports in case of a medical evacuation.

Thoughts?

Yes, they collect passports for most if not all of the voyage.

It's very easy to get your passport from the reception desk mid-voyage. I've done this many times, when I've needed them for car rentals, or other DIY stuff that we've arranged.

Once the ship has been cleared in port, they can give you your passport. You'll sign it out and then sign it back in when you return it.

If you're checking into a hotel, you may well need your passport. I'd take them with me in your situation.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Forums mobile app

We have just had an excursion on the Wind whereby passports were required to be carried. The ship staff reminded us the day before that this was the case and invited us to collect them from reception. Passports collected, excursion completed, passports returned. No hassle.

Mike

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

From the experience of more than 15 times vacation in Portugal I can tell you you will need your passport for the check-in in any hotel, it is obligatory. Otherwise there will be probably no need for it at all.

Yeah, didn't consider I'd need it for hotel check in. Guess we'll be collecting them.

Yes you have been given great advice.

You do need your passport for check in at the hotel.

I would lock it in the hotel safe after you are settled and not take it with you while outside.

Keith